Volvo to go electric

krugerandsmith

The energy still has to be generated somewhere. All it does is to move the exhaust pipe somewhere else in the case of fossil fuel or nuclear power generation. Only renewable energy makes a bit of difference and that is marginal with the manufacture of the parts of the system.

The energy still has to be generated somewhere. All it does is to move the exhaust pipe somewhere else in the case of fossil fuel or nuclear power generation. Only renewable energy makes a bit of difference and that is marginal with the manufacture of the parts of the system.

Not to mention the huge costs involved in mining and transporting the materials used to manufacture the batteries all over the world that have to be replaced and disposed of however many times in the lifetime of the vehicle, it has been shown time and time again that running an old rangerover for a few hundred thousand miles creates far less pollution and damage to the planet than many hybrid vehicles do, the famed Toyota prius turned into a complete donkey when they changed the testing criteria used for such vehicles as well, did you see Clarkson on tg when they revealed the real world mpg of the BMW i8 :-), I'm sure there are much more environmentally friendly ways to run vehicles than combustion engines to be found but when you dig below the marketing hype a little we certainly haven't found them just yet

The pollution caused by family cars, vans etc, apparently amounts to just 11% of the total, so the remaining 89% is caused by other factors...........but the motorist will be forced by the government through various taxes, levies, congestion charges etc, and the future requirement/pressure for the motorist to buy so called "Green cars".................to finance 100% of the cost of reducing pollution!

It's little if anything to do with car emissions.............it's government deception and lip service to the problem, calculated to extract more money (which will not be used for it's stated purpose!) from the motorist.........it's another massive con!

Have a look at the FairFuelUK website!

My understanding of the uk car market is that a very substantial proportion of new cars are bought by fleet operators who then lease them out. The tax breaks associated with hybrids are huge and if repair costs are not a consideration (ie they get sold off at 3-5 years) it is more cost effective to go hybrid.

I had an enlightning conversation with a chap the other day who stated that his employer gave him 70k to spend on a company car but that would increase to 120k if he picked a hybrid. The resulting car apparently will only just get out of the garage under battery power, and does 18mpg.

I like cars I can fix so a hybrid with a short life expectancy until its uneconomical to repair seems like a terrible idea to me.

As the cost of the batteries will probably be 3/4 of the cost of the New car..

Imagine buying second hand and the batteries are going.?.

Top end electrical Mechanic, every time..

The only good side is putting all these oil rich shieks back on Camels..

Not in my lifetime I fear..

Front page Daily Mail "Volvo Death Knell For Petrol Cars"

More like death knell for Volvo!

Volvo died a few years back when ford got their hands on it.only to be further destroyed in the hands of China.these cars were once cars that people aspired to own.not any more.

The elephant in the room with these cars is the battery. Even, so called safe, lithium batteries still contain cobalt which is very toxic.

Can they mine enough cadmium?

How do you charge a car if you live in a block of flats?

Can the national grid cope?

How do they dispose of all the batteries at the end of their life?

there are a lot of questions