308 vs 7.62

Dibs85

Hi chaps,

Assuming that you can put 7.62 rounds through a .308 (be gentle with me as the internet has as many opinions on this as questions!) can you buy 7.62 rounds with a .308 on your ticket as they are essentially the same caliber or is that to easy?

I know headspaces and pressures differ but the general consensus on the internet is that 7.62 through a .308 is OK, but not vice versa. what are your thoughts?

Thanks

Wouldn't have a clue about if it's ok to run 7.62 through a .308, but with regards to buying them I was told by members of my club that if you only have 1 calibre then that is all you can buy. So I was advised to put .308/7.62 on my ticket and the same with the rifle to accuire. FEO didn't even question it. So can buy either or

I'll ask people at the club next visit about running 7.62 through a .308

Edited by Newbie to this

Your certificate should read .308/7.62

I put 7.62 through my Rem 700 .308 all the time but people will say you shouldn't because some military ammo is a bit hotter than factory produced .308. A lot of F Class rifles are .308 but the owners I know shoot a lot of 7.62 ammo through them

The same debate exists about .223 and 5,56

Edited by Vince Green

Yes, the above posters have given good advice regarding how the wording should be shown on your ticket.

This is the reason we always applied for .38/357 as handgunners. If you apply for one or the other then that is all you will be allowed to purchase or possess.

It would be so much easier if all you needed to apply for was .30 calibre; loads of legit' hunting/target options and no cause for licensing to panic.

Yes, the above posters have given good advice regarding how the wording should be shown on your ticket.

This is the reason we always applied for .38/357 as handgunners. If you apply for one or the other then that is all you will be allowed to purchase or possess.

It would be so much easier if all you needed to apply for was .30 calibre; loads of legit' hunting/target options and no cause for licensing to panic.

You could do that at one time, you just applied for a centre fire rifle. I doubt we will see those days again

Edited by Vince Green

Yeah but if you did by some miracle find AK47 ammo in your local gun shop and managed to buy it without the shop keeper looking at your ticket and at least asking if you were sure that's what you wanted, what are you going to do throw it? It wouldn't go in your 308/7.62x51.

I realise that. .243 ammo wouldn't fit either, but I can't buy it.

Might be me being stupid but why wouldn't ak47 rounds fit? Being shorter round of 39mm as opposed to 51mm short chamber the bullet properly but would it still fire the cartridge ?

Case is also narrow but the bullet wider 308 win/7.62x51 use 308 bullets 7.62x39 uses 311 bullets

Not that it'll make any difference.