Just back from a week on the broads

7daysinaweek

Just back home from staying a week on the Norfolk broads, stayed in a very pretty place called Horning and most agreeable it was too! The house was right on the waters edge of the river Bure and had use of a small dory boat for the four of us for the week. Wonderful it was travelling the waterways at that level, never seen so many ducks in all me life, nor as many cormorants and was fascinated watching one diving for fish in one of the small broads at close quarters, it appeared very efficient and would imagine to be any fishery managers nightmare.

Saw some lovely butterflies, quite large yellow ones which i have never before seen, could not tell you the species as my identification is poor and could not get close to them as very flitty. Was hoping to catch a glimpse of a kingfisher but no joy, would think they would prefer the quieter waters away from the busy main drags. Went out a couple of evenings at about 7pm in the boat when the day trippers had gone and was lovely and quiet just plodding along at my own pace.

Managed to get a pic of this old gent, the lodge house is aptly named Harnser lodge, also had daily visits from the woody for feeding of grain, very tame he was and would sit there cooing, preening and displaying to the local female piggies, cocking his tail, again wonderful sight at such close quarters.

Lovely relaxing week, just got home after 5 plus hour drive, loads of standing corn around and passed several fields on way home which had just been combined with some good numbers of pigeons on, passed one field of newly planted cabbage modules which was covered in corvids. Anyroads back out on me own ground this week.

atb

7diaw

post-72392-0-98628200-1501355003_thumb.jpg

post-72392-0-67785300-1501355015_thumb.jpg

post-72392-0-98636400-1501355032_thumb.jpg

glad you found the time to chill out......................so many people now go on holiday ...get burnt out ....and when they get home they are stuffed ...needing a holiday to wind down :lol:

its nice when all the day trippers have gone and its nice and quiet..... :good:

Yes ditchy, was a long and enjoyable week, some lovely vistas in your part of the country, it has been a long time since i was last there, probably twenty five years, forgot to put in me post saw loads of people piking and saw one chap reel in a large jack, looked like some of them were using poppers.

Hey td that is a new one, what a sight it would have been to behold, a wet end to long imbibing session by the sounds of it and may it be engrained in your memory forever :lol:

Figgy we also had good weather most of the week and a couple of cracking sunny days.

Crumpler here is the link, the boat was a small dory four seater with a 9hp outboard on it, saw lots of people fishing from these, we rented the boat for the week from the same rental group.

http://www.riverside-rentals.co.uk/norfolk-broads-holiday-cottages/harnser-lodge/

atb

7diaw

Edited by 7daysinaweek

Glad you enjoyed it.

We have a week on the broads every year. We stay at Brundall. The southern rivers are generally quieter which is better if you like to fish. I'll never tire of the broads and it's only 10 miles from where I live.

Never got the chance of fishing while i was there, looked ideal, passed plenty of fishing widows sat with their husbands and saw a few ladies having a fish, sport for all i say!

An amazing place. I was a member of a fishing club which had boat matches on many of the fish able broads ad know them fairly well. Favourite is still Hickling - huge, shallow, and was up for sale recently if only I had a few million in the bank.

Hi nd

yes the property in the area was expensive, four doors down from us was jamie Oliver's holiday pad, i checked the interweb and a property which was not up to the the standard of the one we stayed in was on the market for a tad shy of a million. Let me just grab me wallet!

atb

7diaw

Really glad you had an enjoyable holiday 7daysinaweek , and please don't leave it another 25 years before you come back and visit our county . we cant hang on with this nice weather for that long :yes:

P S..... Nice photo of the Harnser , did you know in Norfolk, they are also called Old Frank ? .

Really glad you had an enjoyable holiday 7daysinaweek , and please don't leave it another 25 years before you come back and visit our county . we cant hang on with this nice weather for that long :yes:

P S..... Nice photo of the Harnser , did you know in Norfolk, they are also called Old Frank ? .

Hi mm

certainly won't be leaving it another 25 years, was a lovely part of the country to get back and see, thoroughly enjoyed the broads but i am betting that is only a small part of what Norfolk offers. Those hughes swathes of land we passed through which appeared unbroken by road and houses, was drooling at the rural vistas. Up around me we do not have huge amounts of land, and every patch from the largest to the smallest has someone covering it, though we do have good amounts of varied game which we are fortunate for.

I did not know the old word for the Heron was Harnser until we stayed at the cottage. And again i learn something new from the knowledgeable pw clan, i shall now call the Heron old Frank.

atb

7diaw

That is very kind of you lc, yes we went into the new inn and i had a lovely meal, I washed it down with a couple of pints of doombah which i drank with great Gusto!

What a lovely place it was, as said there were plenty of people fishing, i would have passed your boat several times as i plodded up and down in my little boat. Had a lovely walk up to How Hill estate from the house.

If i ever get back down i may take you up on your very kind offer, many years since i have done any coarse fishing.

atb

7diaw