Wilfowling season

Kraai

I e had some of the best sport in September and October on our marsh and been very poor in the colder months as it's not been tidal for years. But just over from us is tidal where they seem to prefer some years.

We don't get much breeding on our marsh so most young are flying and by mid sept are more than table ready. Any of us shows restraint for birds too young.

Same here, I'd rather it start October and run through February.

This topic comes up every year , in fact it has been mentioned for a number of years now and I recon we will still be talking about for the foreseeable future .

I no longer shoot duck in September and don't now start till well into October but up till a few years ago I had never missed a first day and had a lot of enjoyment shooting fowl early in the season , now things are different , I no longer see the big flocks of duck feeding on the stubbles and apart from a few duck in the dykes there is very little movement of fowl at this time of the year .

What are about are already being drawn in to the big commercial flight ponds that are scattered locally in my area and a lot of the local Mallard population wont be flying about no more as they will be already processed in the game dealers.

I would like now to see it start the 1st of October and finish either the end of February or the same day as coastal fowling finish which is the 20th of Feb , but like I say , I have enjoyed starting on the 1st of Sept for most of my life and I can fully understand why people would like to keep it as it is now .

Some of the best sport can be had in September, given the right conditions.

I would say some good sport can be had in September, rather than some of the best , for a start , very few of the migrants such as Widgeon and Teal have arrived by the beginning of the season , in fact it is nearer to the end of September before the Pinks arrive.

Flight ponds don't appeal to me till well into the season , even then I take a guest gun who shoot and I prefer using my dog to pick up .

Marshes are nearly always dry , with the cattle still grazing till at least the first week in November .

Hot humid nights when you can be eaten alive with the midges

What geese we have got are nearly semi domesticated by September with the majority living on the Broads and being fed daily by the visitors with fish and chips leftovers , as an instance , I rented a large block of marshes a mile or so from Fritton Lake , at that time there was a resident flock of around 150 / 200 Greys and nearly as many of Canada Geese , two or three days before the season started me and my mate used to go down there at teatime to see what duck were using the marshes and the river we had that went with it . On the night I am referring to , there was a big flock of Greys eating away on the wheat stubble , as we approached the heads went up when we were about 80yds away , when we were a bit nearer they started to split up and began walking away and when we were in shotgun range they just stood there possibly waiting to see if we had grub , it wasn't till our dogs gave chase they decided to take off and head back to the lake , I must admit , as the month roll on and there numbers have been reduced they do start getting street wise and begin to act like there wild relations.

Overall not all Februarys are good for fowling , nor are Septembers come to that, but when you do get a good one the sport can be as good as you can get , by then you have not only got the high quantity , you have also got high quality ,

I was checking over some wildfowling gear the other night and the dog obviously sussed it was nearly time as he got very excited! He stayed very close when I was out loading 10 bore cartridges in the shed last night!

Silly dog doesn't know that I've not got a 12 bore for the season yet 😂

I was checking over some wildfowling gear the other night and the dog obviously sussed it was nearly time as he got very excited! He stayed very close when I was out loading 10 bore cartridges in the shed last night!

Silly dog doesn't know that I've not got a 12 bore for the season yet 😂

If you were loading 10 bore why are you getting a 12, wont fit proper.. :lol: Edited by ShootingEgg