Nelson the white supremacist ?

Rewulf

Hypocrites?

I wonder whether Americans will soon be destroying memorials to famous slave owners such as George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe, Andrew Jackson, and several other US Presidents? These are recorded as people who publically expressed disapproval of slavery, and at the same time were exploiting hundreds of their own slaves in order to fund political careers and personal lifestyles.

Possibly the history books will be revised to exclude such uncomfortable “facts”.

Yes hypocrites. If there is one monument in this country that epitomises mass deaths and suffering it could be argued it is the tomb of the Left's Poster Boy Karl Marx in Highgate Cemetery. How many millions have died in the name of Marxism? But they don't seem to be queing up to be offended by that.

To be honest, what Marx and Engels put forward were very hypothetical theories. Were they alive today, I think they would be very shocked at what had been done in their names

Most of what we see as the unacceptable face of Communism can be laid at the door of Trotsky

Edited by Vince Green

the crew on warships in Nelsons time were multi cultural and definatly not slaves....the lived and died side by side with us....on one of the monuments at the base....it shows black and white folk together.............

in recent times the thing that is most responsible for creating dishamony within our nation...have been the left wing pressure groups....just going stupid over peoples rights....if they had just left alone....asimilation within our soceity would have continued apace...as it is these "left wing pressure groups " have made things worse..............

No political correctness and equality laws in Nelsons day!.........How can anyone comply with a social position and/or laws..............that do not exist?

Typical left wing rubbish from someone pushing an agenda, ignore the positives and if there ain't no negatives....make some up!

Steam pouring out of my ears.

The editor of the rag that is the Guardian needs her **** slapped.Stupid girl. Her paper is only fit for lighting the fires on my mothers allotment.

Admiral Lord Nelson was the greatest seaman and leader of men. We should respect true statesmen, this tripe is so disrespectful to the honour of old England and the British Isles.

Norfolk will always be "Nelson's County".

Edited by Whitebridges

Steam pouring out of my ears.

The editor of the rag that is the Guardian needs her **** slapped.Stupid girl. Her paper is only fit for lighting the fires on my mothers allotment.

Admiral Lord Nelson was the greatest seaman and leader of men. We should respect true statesmen, this tripe is so disrespectful to the honour of old England and the British Isles.

Norfolk will always be "Nelson's County".

i saw her interveiwed on look east last night............she used to be a regular guest on the "chew the fat show" on sky a long ways back....

her carreer has gone really slow and to stop recently....so i rekon she started this firestorm on purpose to kick start her career again...on the advice from her agent......

i think she is totally oblivious to the harm she has ....is causing to her colour....i dont think she really cares....all she has done is increase the vote of the national front...and hardened normal folks views................

i really think she has a case to answer.....it would take a good lawyer to topple her........all this poo storm she has started is purley for her own benifit...

i saw her interveiwed on look east last night............she used to be a regular guest on the "chew the fat show" on sky a long ways back....

her carreer has gone really slow and to stop recently....so i rekon she started this firestorm on purpose to kick start her career again...on the advice from her agent......

i think she is totally oblivious to the harm she has ....is causing to her colour....i dont think she really cares....all she has done is increase the vote of the national front...and hardened normal folks views................

i really think she has a case to answer.....it would take a good lawyer to topple her........all this poo storm she has started is purley for her own benifit...

I watched it and witnessed her words dribbling down her brown chin. She's a loser but her boss (the editor) should have stopped the drivel going to print.

They don't care though, do they? Look at the circulation figures. It's getting ludicrous the pressure to sell more papers is immense.

A lot of people are talking about this garbage and that's what they want. There is little thought or care about the news and it's ramifications. Shame on our journalists.

Well I hope the Guardian goes down the toilet faster than a greased ****.

I watched it and witnessed her words dribbling down her brown chin. She's a loser but her boss (the editor) should have stopped the drivel going to print.

They don't care though, do they? Look at the circulation figures. It's getting ludicrous the pressure to sell more papers is immense.

A lot of people are talking about this garbage and that's what they want. There is little thought or care about the news and it's ramifications. Shame on our journalists.

Well I hope the Guardian goes down the toilet faster than a greased ****.

errrreeerrrrr............................fake news ? :hmm: ....we need a donald

errrreeerrrrr............................fake news ? :hmm: ....we need a donald

I don't know about a donald ditchy but some sort of responsible person overseeing **** written in the press.

These days it seems OK to write what you want and it gets published. More often than not it's controversial rather than factual.

It's not just the struggling newspapers, there's garbage all over the internet. No wonder the young people today are dazed and confused and have little understanding of yesterday and the history of England.

Time the blame historical figures for everything wrong with Britain dribblers were told to jog on they were the right people at the right time and held the views they grew up with .PC Britain is a product of left wing liberal dung spouters like J c ESQ leader of the loony left eejits corperation.

No it is not rascist to say the majority of child abusing rape gangs are Pakistani because they are is proved in multiple court cases .No it is not racist to say the majority of stop and search by the police are done on black males because they are the largest group of people stabbing each other it is a proven fact but Corbyns lot got mental and a woman MP has the nerve to tell the victims to shut up to help diversity .She is a bottom product end of .Your skin colour should not mean you are a victim now keep quiet how dare the sad product of a brainwashing system insult those poor girls

Time the blame historical figures for everything wrong with Britain dribblers were told to jog on they were the right people at the right time and held the views they grew up with .PC Britain is a product of left wing liberal dung spouters like J c ESQ leader of the loony left eejits corperation.

No it is not rascist to say the majority of child abusing rape gangs are Pakistani because they are is proved in multiple court cases .No it is not racist to say the majority of stop and search by the police are done on black males because they are the largest group of people stabbing each other it is a proven fact but Corbyns lot got mental and a woman MP has the nerve to tell the victims to shut up to help diversity .She is a bottom product end of .Your skin colour should not mean you are a victim now keep quiet how dare the sad product of a brainwashing system insult those poor girls

CLAKK for PM... :good:

Yes hypocrites. If there is one monument in this country that epitomises mass deaths and suffering it could be argued it is the tomb of the Left's Poster Boy Karl Marx in Highgate Cemetery. How many millions have died in the name of Marxism? But they don't seem to be queing up to be offended by that.

Correct!

To be honest, what Marx and Engels put forward were very hypothetical theories. Were they alive today, I think they would be very shocked at what had been done in their names

Most of what we see as the unacceptable face of Communism can be laid at the door of Trotsky

All the bloody same! Spawned Lenin, and the utterly evil Stalin!

No wonder the young people today are dazed and confused and have little understanding of yesterday and the history of England.

I think most of us would be shocked if we sat in on some of the history taught in schools nowadays and it's revisionist and apologist bent.

I saw a documentary about the Battle of El Alemein recently, and rather than referring to the Eighth Army it referred to the United Nations!

Most of our schools are trying to turn out little PC Multiculturalist Liberals. Hopefully some balance can be restored by the more perceptive ones using their own eyes and ears to question what they have been indoctrinated with or be engaged by us older folks and parents to see some sense.

Edited by TriBsa

The people who want to pull Nelsons Column down have my consent to do so, but only if they can stand on a quarter deck whilst having cannon and musket shot fired at them, and not relenting until they have lost one arm and one eye like Nelson did.

Nelson was a great war hero and commander. Can we leave it at that.

As someone once said to me.....theres a lot of fu**ing idiots in the world.

As I understand it we live like we do because men like Nelson did what they did, can you imagine some liberal at the battle of the Nile spouting nonsense? Probably not because they would have been whipped and put back to work.

We'll said Clakk 👏👏

The Daily Telegraph - of course - had something interesting to say about this under the suitable heading, "Protesting against statues of Nelson, Churchill or Rhodes is just a way of showing off"

"Does Winston Churchill deserve a statue? He wrote some nasty things about Muslims. What about Wellington, a snob who opposed extending the franchise? Or Gandhi, who disdained black Africans? Most of us recognise that these men are memorialised for other reasons, such as winning wars against tyrants or, in Gandhi’s case, maintaining his creed of non-violence while leading a great country to independence.

There are some people, though, for whom statues – like everything else – are primarily about them. The fact that Thomas Jefferson was a slave-owner, albeit a tortured one, allows them to look down on the author of the Declaration of Independence.

The fact that Churchill declared himself “strongly in favour of using poison gas against uncivilised tribes” lets them feel superior to the man who beat Hitler.

Once you grasp that protesting against statues is partly a way of showing off, it all makes sense. Flaunting your piety is a competitive game. It’s not enough to be against statues of, say, Franco: anyone can do that. You need to find a revered national figure, and then let everyone know that, at least in one sense, you are a better human being than he was.

Eventually, this virtue-signalling was bound to reach the top – literally. In The Guardian, Afua Hirsch took aim at Nelson’s Column. By any conventional definition, the Admiral was a hero: brave, dashing, adored by his men. He died at the moment of his triumph, saving Britain from the threat of Bonapartist tyranny and, indeed, making possible the liberation of Europe. All this, though, counts for nothing, because Nelson was, we are told, “a white supremacist”.

It is true that Nelson, to the extent that he took any interest at all, backed the pro-slavery West Indies lobby against Wilberforce’s abolitionists, whom we now recognise as moral titans. Still, it is facile to assess historical figures wholly according to how closely their views resemble ours. As Herbert Butterfield put it in his famous 1931 critique of Whig history: “The study of the past with one eye upon the present is the source of all sins and sophistries in history. It is the essence of what we mean by the word ‘unhistorical’.”

In 1805, when Nelson died, slavery was, for most people, a familiar and immemorial part of the human condition. It was widely practised in Asia, Africa and the Americas and, in the adapted form of serfdom, across much of Europe. The real outlier turned out to be the United Kingdom which, 18 months later, voted to outlaw the slave trade – an act partly made possible, ironically enough, by Nelson’s victory. Although the war with France continued, Britain proudly diverted ships to hunt down the slavers.

How bizarre to judge Nelson by an opinion which, though we find it obnoxious, was incidental to his story. Sure, all ages have their shibboleths: some medieval clergymen wanted to ban classical philosophers, such as Aristotle, because they were not Christian. Still, it’s odd that we should be so obsessed with slavery at a time when everyone agrees that it is abominable. Indeed, it’s hard to think of a less controversial issue. Whom are the statue-fellers trying to convince?

The current bout of iconoclasm began two years ago at my old Oxford College, Oriel, with a campaign to dislodge the guano-encrusted Cecil Rhodes from his discreet niche – a campaign that still rumbles on. On Newsnight last week Rahul Rao, an anti-statue academic from SOAS and former Rhodes scholar, described the diamond magnate as “the father figure of apartheid” – a bizarre claim when Rhodes died in 1902, and apartheid was imposed in 1948.

Actually, by the standards of his age, Rhodes was pretty enlightened: he enjoyed warm relations with Africans, opposed the attempt to disfranchise indigenous voters in Cape Colony and funded the newspaper of what became the ANC. It seems harsh to us that he displaced the Ndebele from their lands in pursuit of diamond wealth. But we are committing Butterfield’s sin. The Ndebele had themselves seized those lands from the Shona, many of whom they killed or enslaved. Their outlook was, by most measures, far more distant from modern opinion than that of Oriel’s benefactor. But the campaign was never really about Rhodes; it was about angry students fitting everything around their own prejudices.

Statues can be removed for good reasons. After the break-up of the Soviet Union, hundreds of little Lenins were plucked from their pedestals. When Saddam Hussein was overthrown, his vast and trunkless legs of stone were left standing in the desert. In the same way, local communities in the American South have every right to take down Confederate memorials, some of them recent and gimcrack.

The trouble is, it doesn’t stop there. The oldest monument to Christopher Columbus in North America, which had stood in Baltimore since 1792, was sledgehammered last week by a man who, in an accompanying video, blamed the explorer for capitalism. There are campaigns in Australia against Captain Cook, who discovered the place, and governor Macquarie, who oversaw its settlement. Statues of both men were vandalised yesterday.

If you see Churchill, Nelson, Cook and even Columbus as villains, you’re effectively saying that you’d rather English-speaking civilisation hadn’t happened, that the world would be better off without jury trials, uncensored media, parliamentary democracy, habeas corpus and, come to that, the anti-slavery movement.

One question, then. Whose civilisation would you prefer? Where else were individual liberty, free speech, women’s rights, equality before the law and prosperity for the masses so secure? Among the Montenegrins? The Masai? The Maori? The Maya? Against whom are we being so harshly judged?"

Excellent piece.

And within it lies the conundrum, these so called academics/ intelligensia who should know history so well, should also know why the world was how it was all those years ago.

Many terrible acts were done to their fellow man, no one is disputing that, but at what point do we stop apologising?

Indeed, what do we, who live in the present day, need to apologise for ?

Say we took all the statues down of people who had anything to do with slavery, changed all the place names, road signs, will that make it better ?

Would that be enough?

There are definite agendas here, and all of this angst from certain left leaning ideology is purely farcical.

Why now? Again ,why not do this when Obama was in power?

Media hype, fueling the fires of division, creating a problem that was never really there.

And all fueled by the media....as it creates a good story and more wealth......it is impossible to hold these people to account...

just look at the oxygen corbyn got with all his lies and half truths...that nearly felled may.....look at those promises now...NOTHING......all fueled by the media

A good friend of mine, now sadly gone, once ****** on Marx' grave one night, after having a few sherberts! My only regret is I failed to follow suit.................