Electric underfloor heating, wiring??

scotslad

Alright

Bit of a strange question/ daft idea.

I'm currently building a kennel block for my mutts and putting electric underfloor in the sleeping boxes below the tiled floor.

Just wondering about the wiring and the way i'd like them to work.

Is it possible to have 2 separate power feeds??

The reason why is, 1st one is the bog standard power to thermostat to heating cable, but wot i'd like to do is have a second supply coming in after the thermostat going straight to the heating cable but on a timer/sprung switch (like the ones u get for outside lights that turn themselves off) so if I had dogs out on a cold wet day I could push the button and the heating would come on for 10-20 mins just to dry there coats, almst like a immersion heater type thing on a boiler just a quick blast of heat without ********* about with the thermostat.

Is the above viable?? and could be done, could it cause any damage to heating cables or thermostat (or starting a fire) (just to add I'm not wiring them myself and will be wired by a sparky but hoping to get the stuff laid soon myselfbut could do with knowing where I can site the thermosat's)

Just had the idea the now while working in the kennels and trying to plan things

Why dont you use an immersion heater controller? I believe they are only a switch which does exactly what you want by the sound of it. They have a timer and a boost button and manual on/off switch?.

Edit: not sure if the boost button only works for a certain time or on the thermostat?

Edited by silver pigeon69

Cheers silver pigeon.

Must admit never thought of that, would an immersion heater thermostat work? I imagine it will be used to far higher temps?

The cable actually came with thermostats thou as part of a kit, plus there's 5 of them to fiddle about with thought if I could wire them up with a 2nd power source 1 button would do the 5 circuits

Or one of these for £17.99!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCD-Digital-Electric-Thermostat-Room-Underfloor-Heating-Temperature-Controller/282292391374?epid=854356230&hash=item41b9f00dce%3Ag%3AHHAAAOSwG0BZdZdU

Or check your thermostats, they may be thermostat controllers?(like the above) Which will do basically what you want.

Edited by silver pigeon69

I have both wet and electric underfloor heating. They very simply work on a thermostat, when it gets cold it comes on. The wet heating in the screed take about an hour to feel the heat. The electric system under tiles takes about half an hour so you can feel it on your feet. As previously said it's not instant heat but takes a while to build then holds the heat once it's there.

Underfloor heating doesn't really work like that. It takes a while to heat the tile up. Not sure it would do the job you're wanting it to do.

Based on past experience, but I suppose it could have changed.

yep, its more like a storage heater, it heats the floor slowly which then gives off heat, I have water fired ufh which is in the screed and would need to be on for hours to feel any benefit in the room

As already said, underfloor heating isn't going to be ideal for what you're after in the sense of drying their coats quickly.....it creates an ambient heat rather than one for drying things etc and won't do anything when just put on for 20 minutes. A second instant heat source might be good for when you want a quick blast of heat?

Edited by Wilts#Dave

I do realise underfloor heat is not an instant heat, but electric just below the tiles should warm up quicker than a wet system which has to heat the whole screed/concrete mass 1st.

Mibee 10-20 mins might have been too quick, but just to dry the tiles so not sitting in water (althou tiles laid with fall).an a quick heat (wot ever time it takes, might take some experimenting).

Must admit can see the heating not being on that much as 6" of insulation below the sleeping box and external walls all insulated.

It's just the sleeping boxes that are heated, so quite a small insulated area any heat should build up fairly quickly

Yes its 5 individual separate systems, they all came with there own thermostat, so hoping to avoid buying any more, but just wondered if I(or sparky) could put a separate power source in which would bypass the thermostats/program and the heaters would come on for 'X' amount of time.'