Leaf Blowers

yod dropper

I need to get myself a leafblower. I think I need to be looking at something for heavy domestic/ light commercial use but a back pack one would be too ungainly. Hardest use on green ash, wet flat sticking walnut on grass and sometimes lots of oak so I'm going to need enough power. I also need to be able to convert it relatively easily to vacuum mode and a shredder will make it lots more useful. Not too worried about cost, it should get enough use to warrant it. My brother got himself a 4 stroke (for noise) Makita but it seems a bit of a fiddle converting it. I think I've covered the main points. Beyond my research has anybody got any real world experience?

I have one of these http://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Products/Blowers-and-Vacuum-Shredders/Petrol-vacuum-shredders/21383-430/SH-86-C-E.aspx

Bought last year - and works fine - easy to start etc. Converting from blow to vac is a slight fiddle, but not too bad after the first time or two. Vac is OK, but bag fills pretty quickly on leaves. Only really used it when dry (I'm a fair weather gardener!)

I need to get myself a leafblower. I think I need to be looking at something for heavy domestic/ light commercial use but a back pack one would be too ungainly. Hardest use on green ash, wet flat sticking walnut on grass and sometimes lots of oak so I'm going to need enough power. I also need to be able to convert it relatively easily to vacuum mode and a shredder will make it lots more useful. Not too worried about cost, it should get enough use to warrant it. My brother got himself a 4 stroke (for noise) Makita but it seems a bit of a fiddle converting it. I think I've covered the main points. Beyond my research has anybody got any real world experience?

Gtech £285 battery operated ( If your soft enough to pay that price ).

I'd go with a back pack 1, it will get quite heavy otherwise if ur doing any amount of blowing.

Used the back packs loads only used the hand held a couple of times and didn't rate them in comparision.

Must admit I never knew they sucked, but I'd imagine u will be far quickier blowing the leaves into big piles and then picking them up using 1T dumpy bags than forever changing small bags every few mins.

I'd go with a back pack 1, it will get quite heavy otherwise if ur doing any amount of blowing.

That is probably correct if you are using it for long periods, however the handheld is very easy and convenient for my 20 mins to half hour (several times a week at this time of year) but today the wind is doing the job for me!

Bought the Stihl earlier In year. There is plenty of scope in the price. Whilst the bag is small compared to a dumpy , it holds about 6 times it's volume in leaves as they are shredded and compacted. Not so good with wet stuff as the water sucked up into the bag will run down your leg. Blow is pretty good for piling the worst. I rate it highly.

Some useful stuff here. That Stihl had come onto my radar, a bit heavier duty than the 56. I had looked at a Husqvarna (125BVx) for easy conversion but was told the Echo engine was better (ES-250ES) and still easy to convert apparently. On later thought I wasn't sure the models I'd looked at would be up to it, might be wrong - when the walnut comes down still a bit green and gets wet it really layers and clings on the lawn.

Most use will be blowing into piles but I there are some areas where this isn't feasible and I need to vacuum them up.

One thing I did miss and think I may want is cruise. Worth it or not?

One thing I did miss and think I may want is cruise. Worth it or not?

By 'cruise', do you mean the ability to lock the throttle at a fixed engine speed? If so, I don't use it. Trigger throttle is very light and easy to use and adjusting dynamically seems to make it easier to blow where you want.

When 'blowing', depending on the dryness of the leaves and the ambient breeze, you may find that you get almost enough blow just at idle to 'gather into a heap'.

If its breezy and the leaves are dry, any high revs and the leaves will blow in the air and be re-distributed by the ambient breeze.

I am a gardener and shift literally tons of leaves every autumn. 30 years of picking wet leaves up

Sthil all the way

We use the small hand holds all summer and switch to the back packs in the winter

Forget about sucking and shredding

Blow into piles and snow shovel into dumpy bags is the quickest

I,be tried them all Don't waste your money on anything but sthil

Just bought a 4 stroke Honda leaf blower. Starts with minimum effort. For occasional use I find 2 stroke a pain if my strimmer is anything to go by.

Not sure the bias against 2 strokes is justified with modern engines and fuel/oils.

I used to avoid 2 strokes - to the extent that I bought a Honda 4 stroke strimmer. It was great at first, however - after a couple of years it has proved far from easy to start at times and seems very sensitive to the plug, which has to be replaced regularly (despite looking perfect). Not sure why this should be. My Honda 4 stroke mower has been faultless though.

I have now had two 2 stroke Stihls (blower and chain saw) and both are used on an occasional basis (large garden at home, not work) have been good and start easily, so my 'bias' has evaporated!

Closing my choice down, a trade off as usual. Noticeable differences in power and vibration vs much less noise and an easier, less fiddly conversion. Have found a great deal and local as well, perhaps a new model is in the offing. Some useful comments PW, thanks.

a few minutes later....

The sound levels I'd found seem to refer to different standards in different countries. One to remember for the future. From a forum:

I believe the AU and US model is identical. Therefore, the spec is a bit misleading.

The AU model is called PB-255ES. It's advertised as 107 db(A). I assume the noise is measured at the machine level.

The US model is called PB-255. It's advertised as 65 db(A) per ANSI B175.2-2002 standards (measured 50 feet away).

The Stihl BG 86 is advertised as 70 db(A) per ANSI B175.2-2002 standards and therefore it's more likely to be 112 db(A) ("injurous" level) at the machine level.

Edited by yod dropper

Not heard of Aspen fuel, thanks, will give it a try.

I do a fair bit of gardening and it's worth it with tools used near your face area eg hedge trimmer as fumes of mixed fuel can give headaches, also run a new chainsaw on it as my maintainance bloke says it won't rot out carburettor as not caustic.