squirrel control

Mice!

Well out this morning for the first time in two months,initially holidays then back spasms,I could harly move,thankfully its eased off somewhat. Walking down through the wood to the hide I'm thinking in five years I've never seen a squirrel on the line of beech trees I'm passing, yes you guessed it one pops up. Anyway onwards to the hide and the next squirrel I see is the RED thats managed to survive the year so far despite all the greys.I continued to the feeder, I'd filled it up yesterday and no surprise it was empty after two months, wasn't really expecting any action but it was an inch down already, really only came out as it was a good forecast and the outlook for the w/e is ****. Only been in situ five miniutes when I looked up at the feeding box to see reddy grey squirrel on the peanuts,I had to look a few times to decide what it was,by the time I decided it was a grey off it went,never mind, five minuted later it was back and I didn't dawdle this time, up with the gun and the first shot in two months was a miss, awful mistake pulled the trigger with my arm instead of just with the finger. Waited to see if he came back, no chance,next a small kit foraged around the tree base but couldn't get a clear shot. Thankfully a grey settled on the box for a clean kill.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, ratchers said:

Well out this morning for the first time in two months,initially holidays then back spasms,I could harly move,thankfully its eased off somewhat.

Sorry to hear this mate, glad it's eased off, and good news that the red is still around,  just get some practice in 👍

I'm intermittently filling feeders at the moment knowing it's that time of year, two woods two weeks ago were filled, one was empty one wasn't 

Screenshot_20230914-212911_Gallery.jpg.4dc4329a1da466fe44e70fbd427476c8.jpg

Two mice with two feeders half full side by side, and lots of big acorns littering the floor obviously means there's little activity here at the moment. 

I'll check others tomorrow. 

Took advantage of the dry weather yesterday morning and was back at the wood, there was a grey on the feeding box when I approached which soon scarpered, I was hopeful that it would come back but nothing for an hour when a grey came sniffing but my was it skittish,never sat still for a moment so no chance of a shot. Next squirrel  to visit was the red which not only sat on the box but in it as the peanut level had gone down so much there was room for it, probably felt safer inside,after about five minutes he shot off and that was it in 3 1/2 hours, but I seen the red, great!

With the natural food taking their attention I am getting good results from sitting in the hide before dawn and watching for activity in the area around. I have sited a new feeder and left the hopper lid tied open and scattered some cracked maize around the ground and on some stumps and fallen trees to get plenty of scent out there - I don't touch the bait with my hands and use a small scoop to avoid leaving scent, or at least to the minimum. They seem to know when bad weather is coming because they were out everywhere. I managed three in a couple of hours and saw plenty more out of range and further up in the wood. Hopefully they will travel to the feeder later on in the winter.

380412533_10223858870691663_8438108854211249363_n.jpg.ed9192aeec1a61c0899eee63a4eb3dba.jpg

It had to happen,  my feeders have gone quiet, I was in 3 or 4 areas Saturday,  I shot one that was running past, I had to whistle to stop it, I saw squirrels in Yews, Oaks and Sweet chestnut  up it was the afternoon and I tend to find that if they're disturbed then they vanish rather than carry on feeding.

Screenshot_20230923-192113_Gallery.jpg.0c0e071eb33ec940b7aaabcdd91890df.jpg

This feeder can last 10-14 days depending on the time of year, but it was still a third full with some germination. 

Screenshot_20230923-192020_Gallery.jpg.0b7548affd42459e9ff19858669ef3f6.jpg

StrangeStrangely with these the open feeder with jazzy bird seed was empty,  a lot on the floor, yet the closed feeder with nuts and sunflower seeds was almost full.

Greys are being spotted all over the place, but so are reds, so I'll be going walk about with the gun and thermal over the next few weeks. 

So I planned on going for a walk on the woods yesterday, walked in, got the gun out and had shot one within 5 minutes, spotted with the thermal and shot off the sticks, I took a few pictures then got on with things, the forecast was for rain all morning, but it held off. 

I didn't bother heading for the feeder, I was out Friday night after the rugby checking a feeder, the handful of good stuff was gone but otherwise untouched, including a mouse sat in the top of the feed.

Screenshot_20230930-164445_Gallery.jpg.c25490756103c0e1b3df59f39851d77b.jpg

Screenshot_20230930-164548_Gallery.jpg.362e870e79d20013f599d5d616155259.jpg

Screenshot_20230930-164556_Gallery.jpg.1a17642ab954909fce0d11a0686a2425.jpg

It's a rather nice wood.

The wood was quiet, 10°c and no breeze, perfect.
I took a slow ish walk around the outside of the wood, there were twigs and branches down everywhere from the storm mid week, I was seeing squirrels in the trees or on the ground but getting close enough was another matter. 
So I walked and scanned and listened and as I went I spotted squirrels.
I dropped another and was surprised to see a very small kit, there was another but it vanished.

I then found another that thought it was hidden, doing what squirrels are supposed to do, sitting tight, which doesn't help it when the thermal shows it up, and the BSA sends a Jsb heavy at it, a very satisfying thump.
In the same area I happened to look behind me, spider sense tingling and there was another flat on the trunk, Pfft Whack drop.

Then I was teased, I was probably in the wood for another 1.5hrs, I saw squirrels, had two within kicking distance, followed a few but lost them in the tree tops.
Loads of birds in the wood today, lots of fieldfare and blackbirds then small tits and wrens, as well as a buzzard doing something in the canopy?

I mentioned there must have been something going on in this wood some time ago but I don't think I took pictures of this?

Screenshot_20230930-164523_Gallery.jpg.ed30fcd2649eff79b2597b2101cc48d4.jpg

Screenshot_20230930-164515_Gallery.jpg.00d85b1efbfb2b44634d228e7ac71320.jpg

I've no idea what purpose this little building would have had, but it's interesting. 

Then there's a twist, there is a crafty squirrel near the edge of the wood, I've seen it a few times as I leave, but it's usually doing zig zags or at the top of a big Beech, the rain had started and I'd spotted a heat source, definitely shootable, but I couldn't see a head to aim at.

I'm focusing on the spot when a jogger goes past up the path 😳😳 young lady very unusual, but then I hear feet and a cough, I'm all in green kneeling down against a sycamore and near an obvious old FE feed hopper.

Screenshot_20230524-103320_Gallery.jpg.7c5189baa0f7afa9811d84aca1255036.jpg

Lady in peach top and fella in urban camo heading straight for the hopper, till he spots me and I give him a wave 👋 😁 stopped dead and went back the way they came, headed back to their car and left??? Very odd I thought.

The heavy rain still hadn't arrived so despite it being late morning I thought I'll go to big wood.
Despite this wood also being full of acorns everywhere and Sweet chestnuts I saw very little, it was light rain, but just no squirrels in places you'd expect.
I did find a few, but they were running full tilt on the deck.
I was in the wood for 2.5hrs and didn't get one chance of a squirrel sat nicely, but I got to a few places I'd not been before.

Wet gun drying before some oil and an afternoon of rugby, what's not to like, cheers boys 🍻

I managed another 3 yesterday,  I'd checked a feeder and found it half full, but sat for two hours and saw nothing,  so changed location and went walk about.

A nice stroll seeing nothing again till I got to the oaks, picked up à heat signal on the thermal and played spot the squirrel with the scope. 

Screenshot_20231004-194059_Gallery.jpg.0fa9baabdaf8bed3f7c109fb322e824b.jpg

It was up behind the tree with the red dot, around 30-35mtrs it was shot that made me smile.

Screenshot_20231004-194508_Gallery.jpg.a16fc821a00f40dc62e2c7aa46e0a691.jpg

Screenshot_20231004-194517_Gallery.jpg.7d2398cc5f62c2b7957ea562e345cabb.jpg

Don't let anyone tell you .177 isn't effective,  especially if your gun like JSB HEAVIES, 

@Sciurus I'm starting to like the .177 😅😅

I managed three in around ten minutes all in the same little area, after seeing nothing all morning,  I hate to keep saying it, but it was down to the thermal,  but knowing you'll spot stuff means you go out more.

Screenshot_20231004-194526_Gallery.jpg.28dadd924872ac8029bce3863772fd73.jpg

Squirrels everywhere at the moment!!

Blocks of wood previously cleared are over run within a month!!

Lots of half grown youngsters.

This is the bag for one hour in a 30 acre block previously pretty much cleared of squirrels just a month ago!!

All shot out of the trees while feeding, without a thermal spotter as @Mice!says, I doubt I would have taken more than one or two without it, too many leaves at the moment but the 410 punches through without a problem 👍

IMG_8133.jpeg

Edited by Goldfish

30 minutes ago, Goldfish said:

Squirrels everywhere at the moment!!

Blocks of wood previously cleared are over run within a month!!

Lots of half grown youngsters.

This is the bag for one hour in a 30 acre block previously pretty much cleared of squirrels just a month ago!!

All shot out of the trees while feeding, without a thermal spotter as @Mice!says, I doubt I would have taken more than one or two without it, too many leaves at the moment but the 410 punches through without a problem 👍

IMG_8133.jpeg

That's impressive,  you must be knee deep in them 👏 

Out this morning at first light making the most of the dry weather. the feeders still going down,normally only taking a few days,I had filled up up five days ago and it was nearly at the bottom so its slowed up a bit. First customer was the resident red and I watched him eating a peanut then taking the next one away to bury, this went on for 40 minutes. Once he disapeared it went quiet apart from a very noisy woodpecker, probably annoyed that he couldn't get any nuts as my feeder is a lift lid type. Saw a movement of grey in the distance, at last I thought but it turned out to be two roe deer,they wandered about  grazing and got up to 20 yards away and then ambled off again. Mr Red came back for another session for ten minutes and then went. So in four hours no greys, not they have gone or I have shot them all but just the way it was,will try again.

Reading some of the previous posts, seems I need a thermal, any recommendations??

Too much food about at the moment so not bothered with sitting on the feeders just hitting the walnut and oak trees.

Out with the thermal and air rifle to pick a few off as they fed before they know I'm about then another circuit with the 410 to catch the athletic ones.

CDD46F30-918E-4298-9C77-BD9C33EE873F.jpeg.4c03aeb0bb51d24564000d5ad7e1d3c7.jpeg

Edited by Goldfish

2 hours ago, Goldfish said:

Too much food about at the moment so not bothered with sitting on the feeders just hitting the walnut and oak trees.

Out with the thermal and air rifle to pick a few off as they fed before they know I'm about then another circuit with the 410 to catch the athletic ones.

CDD46F30-918E-4298-9C77-BD9C33EE873F.jpeg.4c03aeb0bb51d24564000d5ad7e1d3c7.jpeg

Busy morning 👍

4 hours ago, ratchers said:

Reading some of the previous posts, seems I need a thermal, any recommendations??

It's the same as a rifle really,  depends on your budget,  definitely best if you can have a look through a few to see what suits you, my old Pulsar is doing a great job for me bought second hand,  but it won't be a patch on what @Goldfish is using.

I'm out tomorrow, but hoping the weather blows over then I'll be taking a walk and checking some feeders but I won't hang around at them for another few weeks.

Then looking at another wood later, no idea what to expect but it's always exciting, especially when I'm told it might be a pointless endeavour because of the surrounding woodland 😁

23 hours ago, ratchers said:

Out this morning at first light making the most of the dry weather. the feeders still going down,normally only taking a few days,I had filled up up five days ago and it was nearly at the bottom so its slowed up a bit. First customer was the resident red and I watched him eating a peanut then taking the next one away to bury, this went on for 40 minutes. Once he disapeared it went quiet apart from a very noisy woodpecker, probably annoyed that he couldn't get any nuts as my feeder is a lift lid type. Saw a movement of grey in the distance, at last I thought but it turned out to be two roe deer,they wandered about  grazing and got up to 20 yards away and then ambled off again. Mr Red came back for another session for ten minutes and then went. So in four hours no greys, not they have gone or I have shot them all but just the way it was,will try again.

A number of quality shops will do thermal evenings where you can go and try, question and listen but my advice would be to see what your eyes like as @Mice!says and also check out the image quality and magnification you want.

A bog standard unit will show up a deer on a cold morning at 100 meters but will it differentiate a squirrel from an owl on a sunny autumnal morning with the branches heating up and have the low magnification needed for this work for the field of view?

18 hours ago, Mice! said:

Busy morning 👍

It's the same as a rifle really,  depends on your budget,  definitely best if you can have a look through a few to see what suits you, my old Pulsar is doing a great job for me bought second hand,  but it won't be a patch on what @Goldfish is using.

I'm out tomorrow, but hoping the weather blows over then I'll be taking a walk and checking some feeders but I won't hang around at them for another few weeks.

Then looking at another wood later, no idea what to expect but it's always exciting, especially when I'm told it might be a pointless endeavour because of the surrounding woodland 😁

Keeping on the move and finding them is definitely the winning method at the moment, walnut trees, beach and chestnuts a firm favourite, good luck tomorrow 👍 

Cant beat a slow walk with the air rifle and sticks 🐿️

Edited by Goldfish

3 hours ago, Goldfish said:

Keeping on the move and finding them is definitely the winning method at the moment, walnut trees, beach and chestnuts a firm favourite, good luck tomorrow 👍 

Cant beat a slow walk with the air rifle and sticks 🐿️

Cheers mate 👍

That was the plan but it was forecast for rain early morning so I didn't get out till 9am, it was strangely quiet in the wood, despite what I'm sure was a red deer roaring away all morning. 

I was only planning on having an hour, but once your in the wood, and not seeing squirrels time doesn't really mean a lot. I did finally see a couple but each time they were going full tilt away from me.

I kind of did a figure of 8 and was back where I started ish, which is annoying when you then spot a squirrel up in the canopy maybe 70 yards away,  I moved closer twice to get a shot and avoid twigs and leaves, with the squirrel still just sat there.

Leaning against a tree, good steady aim Pfft Whack drop,  I'd avoided the blank, only I couldn't find it, I'd looked around in case the shot and thump had disturbed another squirrel then moved over to pick it up, but after ten minutes I'd not found it, it's been a long time since I've not picked a squirrel so I was very miffed, there was a lot of Holly about so it could easily have been under some.

After that I headed up to the feeders and was shocked to see two squirrels close by, I followed one but couldn't get a shot, then I stepped on some moss and wallop I was on the floor again,  big rock under where I'd stood , landed on my side again gun up and safe, almost straight away a squirrel started calling, I couldn't spot it anywhere and thought well they've won today.

I've not topped up for a few weeks, no point, but the feed that was on the floor was all gone, the floor well worked and surprisingly the sunflower seeds had sprouted,  I've never seen this before from any of my feeders, the squirrels have never left them. 

Screenshot_20231011-192149_Gallery.jpg.7a2d8a83505a49aab92e29a21b7bd215.jpg

Screenshot_20231011-192157_Gallery.jpg.f4c914b17452af4f0f7d10dec02de09d.jpg

Feeder cleaned out and I put a bit of feed in both, then I thought that's enough for today,  I'll walk out by the sweet chestnuts then go meet the other land owner.

that's when I bumped into a very unlucky squirrel, we just crossed paths, a whistle,  gun up and Pfft.

Screenshot_20231011-192142_Gallery.jpg.a9e67a88c28f481811df7b4dda943149.jpg

He just rolled over.

I carried on down the path and heard a squirrel barking,  I couldn't spot it, but I dud spot another, I had to back up sit down, sticks up to get the angle,  once again it just sat there, I aimed a touch low for the angle and Pfft Whack drop. 

Screenshot_20231011-192133_Gallery.jpg.0958783890f03021d82522680cf7d520.jpg

Healthy female, the barking stopped,  but I never spotted the barker. Very happy with that shot.

I thought I was blanking so leaving with two was very good.

After that I went and met up later than planned, I was there around an hour looking around and chatting,  it's like a few other spots I shoot, it's not a great big wood,  but it's by a great big wood, so a private location to put up a feeder or two and see what comes of it.

Things turned out well in the end 😁

On 11/10/2023 at 16:31, Goldfish said:

Pulsar Helion 2 XQ38F is the unit i use, battery lasts days and it has low magnification on the normal setting and great definition. If it broke today I would buy another tomorrow, I can spot a mouse at 100m with it 👍

Thanks for the info.

Went out yesterday morning before dawn and had to scrape the windscreen due to a heavy frost. Got in position at the feeder before it got light and waited, first customer was my old friend the red who did his usual trick of eating and burying for half an hour, it went quiet until I saw a grey on the tree trunk holding the feeder, waited for it to take a nut but it was off, oh no I can't have scared it surely and then I saw what had put him to flight, the little old red squirrel, hang on isn't it supposed to be the other way round? any ways the red starts eating and then off to bury which gave the big brave grey time to come down to have his breakfast, one peanut and then the lead took care of him. So one grey less and the red still about, good result.