divining rods

islandgun

Cat in my experience is better and more accurate. However, a couple of time where the cat has been on the fritz I have no objection to someone using rods. 

In 13 years I haven't had a strike where rods have been used. I mean, it could be luck, but I'm tempted to think not. 

To know whether it is truly a waste they should collate data on pipe strikes where rods are used. That data set would put the Munich one to shame...  

I can use them.

No idea how they work but work they do.

When my eldest grandson was seven I gave him the rods to hold.   Told him to walk slowly down my farm yard.   He had no idea what he was doing.   The rods crossed three times.   He had 'found' the three water pipes laid under the concrete.   Had to dig some of it up to prove it to him.   Cost me a bob or two to put it back right but was worth it just to see his face when the pipe came into view. 

I've been doing it for 50 years, rarely nowadays but it's still a thrill to prove it to a sceptic. I love letting others have a go, some can, some can't but if you hold hands with someone and have a wire each and then get them to move it can freak them out. Like Ditchy I like welding rods and biro tubes but I've used coathangers or fence wire before now.

My Grandad showed me first and interestingly we also had a similar trait, neither of us could wear mechanical watches, they either lost time or stopped altogether. Gran always said it was the electricity in our bodies.

1 hour ago, timmytree said:

I've been doing it for 50 years, rarely nowadays but it's still a thrill to prove it to a sceptic. I love letting others have a go, some can, some can't but if you hold hands with someone and have a wire each and then get them to move it can freak them out. Like Ditchy I like welding rods and biro tubes but I've used coathangers or fence wire before now.

My Grandad showed me first and interestingly we also had a similar trait, neither of us could wear mechanical watches, they either lost time or stopped altogether. Gran always said it was the electricity in our bodies.

strange that......................i have spent a lot of money in the past on electrical watches...and ALWAYS by the 5th day of wearing they became 1/2 hour slow...been back to the makers ...nothing wrong...and that is why i never wear a watch i just have an old half hunter in a tobacco tin in cotton wool..............

8 hours ago, evolution380 said:

Water firms have since distanced themselves from the claims! Mainly due to the backlash from middle aged housewives with nothing better to do than moan on twitter...

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/nov/22/water-firms-backtrack-admissions-divining-rods

i believe that was the lady i mentioned from the Oxford news in the guardian, a Sally Le Page  from oxford visiting her parents in the Severn Trent area,

I must admit I and the electric supply boy tried to find the mains cable to a shed of mine and we couldn't, 1st time he came out he just used copper wires, marked the spot (same as my fencing wires) indicated, a bloody water pipe.

Came back next time with a CAT, marked some different spots, nothing

3rd time a CAT and Genny and still couldn't even get a signal to evem mark for me to dig.

Still haven't a clue where it goes despite seeing it come off the pole and where it went into the shed.

But I have seen and used diveners quite a lot and generally they work very well.

U can say they don't work, but why would most old skool  drainage boys rely on them so much if that was the case? That's there lively hood not many modern tools or scientific devices can detect  a 4" tile or an old stone drain

How do u use a CAT to detect a water pipe anyway?? I thought CAT only detected metal pipes and cables (althou not as a metal dectector, but something to do with radio signals or something??)

Wot modern devices can u use to detect water pipes?

Found lots of water pipes on sites using divining rods. Watched my dad do it years ago when contractors couldn’t find a buried pipe, they looked amused until he found it. 

When it comes to divination I think of it like lay lines and birds navigating, we know it works just not exactly how.

The Russel Crowe film where he plays a diviner is a good watch 

Edited by figgy

17 minutes ago, figgy said:

Found lots of water pipes on sites using divining rods. Watched my dad do it years ago when contractors couldn’t find a buried pipe, they looked amused until he found it. 

When it comes to divination I think of it like lay lines and birds navigating, we know it works just not exactly how.

The Russel Crowe film where he plays a diviner is a good watch 

hello figgy, what was the film called?? cannot say i have seen it, cheers

38 minutes ago, scotslad said:

I must admit I and the electric supply boy tried to find the mains cable to a shed of mine and we couldn't, 1st time he came out he just used copper wires, marked the spot (same as my fencing wires) indicated, a bloody water pipe.

Came back next time with a CAT, marked some different spots, nothing

3rd time a CAT and Genny and still couldn't even get a signal to evem mark for me to dig.

Still haven't a clue where it goes despite seeing it come off the pole and where it went into the shed.

But I have seen and used diveners quite a lot and generally they work very well.

U can say they don't work, but why would most old skool  drainage boys rely on them so much if that was the case? That's there lively hood not many modern tools or scientific devices can detect  a 4" tile or an old stone drain

How do u use a CAT to detect a water pipe anyway?? I thought CAT only detected metal pipes and cables (althou not as a metal dectector, but something to do with radio signals or something??)

Wot modern devices can u use to detect water pipes?

hello, i am sure there are different types of CAT detectors the likes of cables/ water pipes/ my son uses one  that detects cable and pipe

2 minutes ago, figgy said:

The Water Diviner, good film and a definite lump in throat film. 

should have known, thanks for that:good:will look online cheers

I have to admit I've yet to hear of a CAT that can locate plastic alkyathene pipe.

I once spent a week digging test holes for a high pressure gas main as they didn't know exactly where it was, our longest trench was 7.5 m each way from where it was meant to be on the maps.

The surveyor that worked for my boss reckoned in the old days gas/water companies would lay a metal trace wire along with the pipe so it could be located in the future but in there wisdom the 'bosses'/penny pinchers stopped it as costing too mutch, yet they employed a squad of boys to dig holes for a week to find it