"im mainly (at it again)"

ditchman

18 minutes ago, la bala said:

Looking at the width of your belt, it must be far easier to get a good even grind rather than using the stupid 25mm wide one i have. :yes:

yes it is a useful size...what i now have is a "cutting table" 100mm wide 200mm long which is perfectly flat....so when i add the tilting cutting table i can cut at any shallow angle ...which is the du#ifficult bit.........i shall also make up 3 or 4 gates at 90deg....60dg...45deg......30deg.... also eventually i can add formers to the raised bed for scollopting..any way thats the idea..

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

having a bit of a none day at the moment.........got fed up with the belt squealing like a stuck pig on start up....the drive pulley is to wide and the vee belt is right down at the bottom....

so i had that off and bought a 75mm taperloc....put that on....christ it was a pain getting the old one off.....now the machine is running too quick as it is running 1:1....1460rpm...before it was running slower....

sooooo...........ordered up a 100mm dia. taperloc for the top drive to slow it down to get rid of the osillation vibration...which is worse now,.........ive been huffing and puffing all bloody day.....never mind will get it sorted .....get it running nice and smoooooth....then we can start on the cutting table..............

we have overcome the problems and messing about of yesterday...............:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

1. 2 new taperloc pulleys
  2. 3" bottom (drive)
  3. 4" top (steer)
  4. new vee belt

this has slowed the speed down from 1460rpm to about 11-1200rpm.........as a result it has

1. stopped ALL vibration...just feel the vib' of the motor now...(more of a hum)
  2. it no longer "grinds"....it cuts now
  3. belts will last longer
  4. wont get as hot so quick
  5. more control

that  me' lot for today....tomorrow will start on the tilting plate...........

new pulleys 001tn_.JPG

new pulleys 002tn_.JPG

new pulleys 003tn_.JPG

new pulleys 004tn_.JPG

new pulleys 005tn_.JPG

new pulleys 006tn_.JPG

new pulleys 007tn_.JPG

right...................just to keep titchoke and the bala boys happy with their daily fix.....started work on the cutting table

i chose to use 4mm plat as it was thick enough for me to bend back into flatness and once flat i wouldnt need any stiffners............cut it with a slitting disc as not to create too much heat...even so...if you look at jpg #8....you can see the steel plate opening as i cut it....this is because of all the tension that was built up in the plate when it was hot rolled...it cooled to quick locking in the tension...this happens to all cheap steel....you can allow for it when welding ...(which is an art in its self)...put still a pain in the bum.......

on jpg#14 you can see the method of attatchment i will use to join the table to the raised bed.....

next installment tomorrow..........

"dont worry HARNSER we are getting there"..:lol:

cutting table 001tn_.JPG

cutting table 002tn_.JPG

cutting table 003tn_.JPG

cutting table 004tn_.JPG

cutting table 005tn_.JPG

cutting table 006tn_.JPG

cutting table 007tn_.JPG

cutting table 008tn_.JPG

cutting table 009tn_.JPG

cutting table 010tn_.JPG

cutting table 011tn_.JPG

cutting table 012tn_.JPG

cutting table 013tn_.JPG

cutting table 014tn_.JPG

cutting table 015tn_.JPG

9 minutes ago, JDog said:

You have your coffee, fags and a project. All is well with the world. Even ‘Titchoke’ will be satisfied for the time being.

im your very own "fag ash lil"........................

see i do read your posts as well...:lol:..............tell thee what....if i suck on this here inhaler much more today i will apply to Sky TV cycling team as their new ace rider..:lol:

Edited by ditchman

32 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Coming on well 

good to see your resorsfullnes ?

did you try for a ceramic belt ? 

dont talk to me about bloody ceramic belts...............every place i rang and checked has sold out................so i just got a few 150 grit el cheapos...until i know what im doing...

2 hours ago, la bala said:

Hey ditchman, table is coming on nice, just a thought, the table you have will be perfect for flat knife blank. Have you any ideas for another table that would allow you to grind a finished knife ie, handle and guard on. 

that will be done by hand...as it will involve other stuff that doesnt take well to grinding.........you will just have to wait and see.............i will be using the machine for the blade ...but the rest will be done by hand...:hmm:

3 minutes ago, ditchman said:

that will be done by hand...as it will involve other stuff that doesnt take well to grinding.........you will just have to wait and see.............i will be using the machine for the blade ...but the rest will be done by hand...:hmm:

Just testing, I thought we could all send our stuff in when it needed a regrind :lol:.  By the way some of the belt companies do make up belts to size if you get stuck.

23 minutes ago, la bala said:

Just testing, I thought we could all send our stuff in when it needed a regrind :lol:.  By the way some of the belt companies do make up belts to size if you get stuck.

yeah i did notice that on one website..:good:

3 hours ago, la bala said:

Hey ditchman, table is coming on nice, just a thought, the table you have will be perfect for flat knife blank. Have you any ideas for another table that would allow you to grind a finished knife ie, handle and guard on. 

look quite honestly i aint got a clue what it is going to turn out like...i have made one knife in my life and that was with a lot of grunt ...charcoal and a mini grinder and wet and dry.......

i just want to try and produce something that is mechanically correct and pleasing to the eye....that looks good and also looks hand made...im virtually inventing stuff as i go along....everyday has its little hurdles...im not a persay clever person....when i want infomation i learn it...use it...disgard it.....i understand the principle behind it...but unless i have stacks of dosh cant achieve what i really want....so i have to look at these hurdles a different way that suits my pocket............i seem somehow that i have spent most of my life making things difficult for myself....and i aint goingf to change now..:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Friday update ................working on the adjustable angle cutting table....all bit of stop start....messed up a bit of important welding which i had to put right......ended up with the rod (hinge) in the drill with some valve paste getting it to fit nice and snug............

i "mocked" up the table (not quite right) so you can see how it will work..............one of the pics shows a couple of crosses marked on it.....that is roughly where i will drill and tap some fine set screw holes for the adjustment.....need to order up a box of springs to hold the back end down so everything is tight.....i am making the attatchment (table) quick to put on and take off as i need that to happen for the changing of the belt..........

thats yer lot today...:good:

cutting table 2 001tn_.JPG

cutting table 2 002tn_.JPG

cutting table 2 003tn_.JPG

cutting table 2 004tn_.JPG

cutting table 2 005tn_.JPG

cutting table 2 006tn_.JPG

cutting table 2 007tn_.JPG

cutting table 2 008tn_.JPG

cutting table 2 009tn_.JPG

cutting table 2 010tn_.JPG

cutting table 2 011tn_.JPG