"im mainly (at it again)"

ditchman

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, la bala said:

messed up a bit of important welding which i had to put right.

You didnt happen to get penetration go through that hinge tube did you, I have had that happen a few times.

yup................excactley that...i was aware of it i got 7/8 welds right the last one thre3w me...........so i thought easy peasy drill it out with my titanium 6mm....could use the cordless drill so used the 240v big muther...........fine right it was running anti clockwise and i was having a senior moment...dooooooooooooooooo

screwed the drill up .......what a muppet

:lol:

well ....this was the moment of truth.:lol:......could i drill everything good enough for it all to line up........"yes we can".....i marked it all out...sharpened the fixing rods ...set it all in postion where it was flat and gave the rods a slight tap to mark the raiser.....the marks were spot on.....so punched them and drilled out 2 nice clean holes...(do like a nice clean hole)....slipped the rod in and it was all fine.....i made the table top sit slightly proud of the raiser as it would allow for the belt......everything is nice and flat...and it tilts to all the angles i need to cut to...

i would fit it and meauser up for the adjusters ...but i need to do shopping and housework as usual......

so i will do the fitting and measuring tomorrow...and drill and tap..........

must get on.....enjoy or yawn ...whatever..:lol:

fitting tableraiser 001tn_.JPG

fitting tableraiser 002tn_.JPG

fitting tableraiser 003tn_.JPG

fitting tableraiser 004tn_.JPG

fitting tableraiser 005tn_.JPG

fitting tableraiser 006tn_.JPG

fitting tableraiser 007tn_.JPG

fitting tableraiser 008tn_.JPG

fitting tableraiser 009tn_.JPG

fitting tableraiser 010tn_.JPG

fitting tableraiser 011tn_.JPG

fitting tableraiser 012tn_.JPG

fitting tableraiser 013tn_.JPG

fitting tableraiser 014tn_.JPG

fitting tableraiser 015tn_.JPG

fitting tableraiser 016tn_.JPG

fitting tableraiser 017tn_.JPG

fitting tableraiser 018tn_.JPG

fitting tableraiser 019tn_.JPG

2 hours ago, fatchap said:

I may have missed it, but as the bed seems to go down the sides of the grinder, How are you going to change the belts?

Great work by the way.

got some new pics for later...........bed is quick release....pull the spring loaded pins and off it comes........

i will show you later........:good:

wellll......................put it all together ...AND IT ACTUALLY WORKS  :yahoo:.............the bit of scrap metal i used was only 3mm thick...but it cuts a nice straght line and at the right angle........it is sooo nice to use...very very controllable....you just keep the tang/handle flat on the table and gently slide it into contact with the belt....it is sooo easy to cut a teeny bit or a lot...and to stop cutting you just slide it back and lift it off...........its nice and quiet....smooth...and it cuts not grinds.......im going to enjoy using this.......

still a few things to do yet....

1. round off the adjusters
  2. spring load the table
  3. holding springs for the lock pins
  4. weld up a hole
  5. check over

then i will get a bit of 5mm mild plate and practice making 2 or 3 blanks.....need to order up 90 grit cutting belts...and coarse and medium paste and mops.......

but we are getting there..:yahoo::beer:

assem' table 001tn_.JPG

assem' table 002tn_.JPG

assem' table 003tn_.JPG

assem' table 004tn_.JPG

assem' table 005tn_.JPG

assem' table 006tn_.JPG

assem' table 007tn_.JPG

assem' table 008tn_.JPG

assem' table 009tn_.JPG

assem' table 010tn_.JPG

assem' table 011tn_.JPG

assem' table 012tn_.JPG

assem' table 013tn_.JPG

assem' table 014tn_.JPG

assem' table 015tn_.JPG

assem' table 016tn_.JPG

assem' table 017tn_.JPG

assem' table 018tn_.JPG

assem' table 019tn_.JPG

assem' table 020tn_.JPG

10 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Brilliant !!!!  Nice job.  I ask, with an abrasive belt what is the difference between 'cutting' and 'grinding' ?  By it's nature I would have thought you were grinding that angle, but what do I know? Enlighten me.   Brilliant job whatever you call it. 

i know what you mean ....its just me....on a grinding wheel i can either cut or grind...by altering the angle of attack of the metal...you can see the difference....in grinding there is a lot of heat generated as well.....those grits ..the way im using it at the speed of the belt are acting like sharp teeth.......grinding is more "metal loss by abrasion"

im sure in a court of law they are both the same....but to me they "feel" different....so as i said it is probley me and my cursedness....

i suppose in woodworking it would be sanding as opposed to planing..................

answers on a postcard

all boring stuff today...cant do much until the springs arrive.....so i just couldnt leave it alone:lol:....had to have a mess about...as i need to learn what needs to be done...and different cuts and finishes.........see what it can do............just using off cuts of skanky 3mm steel ..........

mess about learning 001tn_.JPG

mess about learning 002tn_.JPG

mess about learning 003tn_.JPG

mess about learning 004tn_.JPG

mess about learning 005tn_.JPG

mess about learning 006tn_.JPG

mess about learning 007tn_.JPG

mess about learning 008tn_.JPG

mess about learning 009tn_.JPG

Edited by ditchman

9 minutes ago, la bala said:

She,s fetching her off boi :good:

and thats a knackered belt................i need to do this as ive found out that the table adjusters are in the way.....i will have to think about where to put them so i can use the whole table............

as i said im having to learn how to do this before i start on expensive bits of o1 tool steel.........