Depression

1 hour ago, thepasty said:

I've been through it a few years back with health anxiety and I'm still on medication to help keep an even keel. I was/am open with my doc and FEO and at no stage has there been talk of removing my guns. Infact my FEO was incredibly understanding and supportive saying that removing my guns could make it worse as shooting is a great way to get out, meet people and improve state of mind....and she was right.

As has been said, go talk to your Doc and do it as soon as you can.

I'll offer up some advise, you'll get help but the person who can help you the most is yourself, challenge your thoughts challenge the lethargy, when you're down... get up, grab the gun and the dog and get out in the sunshine, walk hard, watch your dog enjoying itself, marvel at the sky, take in nature.....you will feel better for it.

It may surprise some that I'm so open on a forum but I'm a firm believer that openly talking about these things is the way forward. Its not something we should shy away from.

Get some help but remember to help yourself! hope you feel better soon.

Steve

Best post of the year.

Totally agree.

There are two types of depression,  reactive,  and chemical . Reactive is to a loss .your body is reacting to something that has gone wrong in your life .

Chemical is due to an inbalance in your brain .this is were people can not uderstand why they are like that .so anti depressants  are there to balance them chemicals out .

So first if you had diabetes,  you would be treat to balance things out. If you had under .or over active thyriod problems this will cause depression., i had it bad 25 years ago . Turns out i had M.E. 

Can you see were i am going get the checks .i.e bloods done they will tell you what is going on . I went to my doctors and asked her about getting my SGC . She said it would be a great idea , would help me get out meet people and enjoy myself . 

Dont be hard on yourself and dont rush it , it will take time,  BUT you will get there. If the tears come let them its natures way of getting you better ,for in tears the body releases a chemical that gets rid of the bad things . Good look get to the docs .

Remarkable and honest post ,well done for posting and for all the open replies .Depression is an evil thing that can sneak up on anyone and seeing a doctor is the start of your recovery,you,l get there Archie if you need tablets they do work .After 54 years of marriage Mum was distraught when dad passed inside 12 weeks from cancer but with the doctors help and something called Fluxotene she copes far better .

Having seen family and friends struggle i wouldnt hesitate to get help if i needed it.Good luck with your recovery atb

Glad to see that you are going to seek help, I guess there are more people on this forum alone, who have been in your situation but don`t want to post publicly.

Been there, got the tee shirt. 

It does not necessarily follow that your shotgun certificate will be removed, depends where you are in your renewal cycle as you may not even be flagged up yet in your Drs surgery and the Dr may consider its a small hick up at this stage of your life and not report it, especially if it turns out to be some thing other than the black dog.

Should the worst case scenario occur, transfer your gun to your best pal for safe keeping and then get him to accompany you on your forays, the law says you can carry and shoot whilst under supervision, with out a certificate. I have a friend who has a Schizophrenic son with heart problems and shed loads of other stuff going on, and he shoots dads shotgun in the field and in the range, all perfectly legal according to our Firearms Department. 

The first step is the hardest, just like the gamblers and alcoholics, acknowledging that the problem is bigger than they are.

Go for it knowing there is light at the end of the tunnel. I wish you every success.

FB.

I'm a bit of a wreck head, always have been. I was with my ex for 11 years, had 3 children with her. Lots of mental abuse and some physical. I held it together for many years. When we split up I picked the kids up Fri and dropped them off Sunday night, gave her cash for the kids every week. The place I was lorry driving for at the time said they may not have any work for me for a couple of weeks. So I told her that I would give her some cash but not sure about the following week. The Monday after I got a visit from the police saying that I had been beating her up, plus hurting the children. Social services said I wasn't allowed to see the children and would have to go to court to get access to them (which I did) Got a phone call from the CSA saying i've never paid her any money.

My head just popped! I had to have some time off work and go on anti-depressants for a while.

Couple of years later and I started to get my life together. Nice wife, couple more children, nice house, car, caravan, do some stuff that I had always wanted to do, but not been allowed in the past. Got my SGC and started to do a bit. Just sent off my FAC application form, and just waiting on it. 

I have a few ups and downs, don't take or need any anti-depressants.

I had some counciling which taught me to talk when things were getting on top of me. Also, I take one day at a time and not try to plan what I'm doing next week/month. The one thing I have realised is, you cannot get back to that person you once were, you will never be the same again. Just a different person, maybe even a better person?

Edited by Scotty1980

28 minutes ago, Scotty1980 said:

I'm a bit of a wreck head, always have been. I was with my ex for 11 years, had 3 children with her. Lots of mental abuse and some physical. I held it together for many years. When we split up I picked the kids up Fri and dropped them off Sunday night, gave her cash for the kids every week. The place I was lorry driving for at the time said they may not have any work for me for a couple of weeks. So I told her that I would give her some cash but not sure about the following week. The Monday after I got a visit from the police saying that I had been beating her up, plus hurting the children. Social services said I wasn't allowed to see the children and would have to go to court to get access to them (which I did) Got a phone call from the CSA saying i've never paid her any money.

My head just popped! I had to have some time off work and go on anti-depressants for a while.

Couple of years later and I started to get my life together. Nice wife, couple more children, nice house, car, caravan, do some stuff that I had always wanted to do, but not been allowed in the past. Got my SGC and started to do a bit. Just sent off my FAC application form, and just waiting on it. 

I have a few ups and downs, don't take or need any anti-depressants.

I had some counciling which taught me to talk when things were getting on top of me. Also, I take one day at a time and not try to plan what I'm doing next week/month. The one thing I have realised is, you cannot get back to that person you once were, you will never be the same again. Just a different person, maybe even a better person?

Its life's experiences that make us who we are today. some people appear to sail through life, others have it rough. I've always found that the ones who have had it rough who are the ones worth knowing. 

If your depression is chemical then you’re going to need the pills.

However, I think sunlight is a big factor for everyone - I always get the feeling that I want to hibernate December to March.

I know lower daylight hour countries like Finland have the highest suicide rates but I  don’t know if there are similar stats for areas that are a sunshine paradise. I’ve often gone on holiday to somewhere sun drenched and wondered ‘is it possible to be depressed here?’

Get 2 weeks in the sun and then see if you need the quack’s help.

My ex walked out 7 years ago and refused me access to my kids. The ex’s mum tried to stab me when I tried to visit. 

It took 3-4 months to win in court and see my children again but been while I just sat there crying into my dinner. My mum marched me up to the doctors and I was prescribed antidepressants. I felt Sick for a week but after that I was great . 

I kept my sgc and met my fiancé within 5 months ( I didn’t look for her)  she’s wonderful and I’ve a 2 year old daughter and son due next week. 

Would I go on the tablets again ? Hell yes .

i still have **** days like smashing my fingers in the machine 2 week ago but I’m alive.

My mate took his life with his gun 10 years ago. I’d only spoken to him the day before and he was always laughing. His son has never been the same.

Sorry to hear this mate and massive respectfor you discussing on an open forum. The police will be more impressed that you took it upon yourself to get help when needed so even if you did habe to give up your certificate it will be a lot easier to get back as you was responsible and done the right thing.

Stay strong and I'm wishing you a speedy recovery.

7 hours ago, archiebald said:

Thank you for the replies I'm amazed at the replies. I know what you mean by the sun light. Iv took a week off. Caught a salmon  (my 2018 target) and had some fun roost shooting and feel better. I'l have a think and update. 

Please dont think, let the Docs do blood tests to rule out things , depression,  has a habbit of coming back and bite hard , 

This is the hidden danger in medical disclosure, people avoid seeking medical help. I knew a man who appeared to have suffered a mild stroke but wouldn't go to the doctor because he would lose his HGV and his job. I don't know the outcome of that one.

You need to get help, your SGC is low priority, your family and your wellbeing are high priority 

On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 22:40, archiebald said:

Hi all for a few years now iv had a problem with myself that i cant understsnd iv lost my passion and old over enthusiastic happy sociable self.  Iv been into shooting and fishing since 9 year old. Iv let lots of my perms go over the last 4 years and even rehoused my ferrets twice and not been passionately into my shooting, ferreting and fishing the last 4 years now. I am a complete shadow of my former self in every single way. I have had the black dog with me for over 4 years now. I am no way any threat to myself or anyone and dont want to see a doctor incase I loose my shotgun certificate which iv had for 15 years. I am depressed but have a fantastic amazing bueatiful and understanding  wife thank god that i am privelaged to be with and have high position in  a top job thats going very well but have this hanging over me and want to see a doctor without causing problems with my licence that been able to go shooting is actually something that helps me relax. I am 33 years old. I am worried  If I see a doctor for this will it cause me future problems at renewal time? Could this cause me problems if I do? Thank you for any advice.

Edited by Howling Hound
Reply was not to this Post. Assume Mods removed the post my reply was for