Alarms.... over 6 guns

wildfowl

23 minutes ago, TriBsa said:

Moderators do not count when it comes to the magic 6 guns:

Should not count 

as said by previous posters it’s down to your areas interpretation 

if you want a row and rock the boat being confrontational could jeopardise your grant or renewal 

its your own choice 

i chose easy route do more than asked 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the number just plucked from thin air.

But an alarm which notifies you (either through an app or message)coupled with CCTV which you can monitor so you can see what's happening, would allow you to call the police and report a burglary in progress. Without the CCTV to confirm, the police may not attend as it could be a false alarm.

Alarms do have their uses.

51 minutes ago, Scully said:

I think we're at cross purposes here. I'm not concerned about whether we should have alarms fitted or not; and I'm not really interested whether there are figures to prove one thing or another; personally I don't see the point in them whatsoever. I've seen and heard enough car and shop alarms going off to realise no one really takes much notice. The point I'm trying to make is this......where is the common sense...the logic,  in stipulating that at a given number ( in this case 6 ) of firearms owned, the owner should fit an alarm? Why 6 and not 5, or 10, or 4, or less? Who decided that there was no need for an alarm at 5 guns, but a definite need at 6? Where is the logic behind the thinking that 5 was ok but 6 required special security? There is none; it's ridiculous. 

That is basically what I have been trying to put across, obviously badly!

:good:

Alarms are an effective deterrent, you are essentially trying to make your home look less attractive than the others (reminds me of the joke with two guys discussing how wearing trainers won’t help out run a lion)...

Scrotes recognise the monitored alarms and look for easier targets...

Also, some monitored alarms detect heat and smoke and can therefore save my or my family, which is why I decided to bite the bullet and opt for one..

We are out in the sticks and a very quick 15 minute drive to nearest pseudo cop shop, the speed in which the boys in blue turned up when I locked myself out and had to break in was impressive and it was because they knew guns were in the house.

i think it cost about 1K to be fitted and about 35 pcm monitoring, feels worth it to me

The police were generally approving about our alarm, but more approving about the dangerous dog sign and postie warning sticker on the letterbox (we dont have a dog).

Last time the alarm had a fault and went off at 0130 it took me all of fifteen minutes and a screwdriver to work out how to disable its power supplies, not a single curtain ruffled in our very suburban culdesac. 

Edited by Wb123

48 minutes ago, Wb123 said:

Last time the alarm had a fault and went off at 0130 it took me all of fifteen minutes and a screwdriver to work out how to disable its power supplies, not a single curtain ruffled in our very suburban culdesac. 

Yeah, but if it was monitored to a central station or by yourself and it was a actual burglary, then someone would have been informed and could take appropriate action.

14 hours ago, Wb123 said:

The police were generally approving about our alarm, but more approving about the dangerous dog sign and postie warning sticker on the letterbox (we dont have a dog).

No battery in the siren then ?
The question is, even if the burglar knew how to disable it, thats still 15 minutes longer he needs to be in the house, more chance of getting caught, and more deterrent.

As I mentioned, cheap IP cams off the bay, link to your Wifi and set to motion detect, sends a pic and video straight to your phone when tripped, even if they destroy it within seconds it still captures the image, and has IR for night use.
Even if you think alarms are useless, for the price ,its just that extra level of security.

7 hours ago, Rewulf said:

The question is, even if the burglar knew how to disable it, thats still 15 minutes longer he needs to be in the house, more chance of getting caught, and more deterrent.

As I mentioned, cheap IP cams off the bay, link to your Wifi and set to motion detect, sends a pic and video straight to your phone when tripped, even if they destroy it within seconds it still captures the image, and has IR for night use.
Even if you think alarms are useless, for the price ,its just that extra level of security.

If there is one its long dead. I pulled the main fuse to disable the mains supply (which would also knock out our internet router), then spent the next ten minutes finding a screwdriver to open the box and remove the back up battery. If there is a second back up battery in the sounder it failed to keep the thing going.

19 hours ago, Rewulf said:

My god, we agree on something :-)

Only a poorly serviced alarm would have a non functioning battery back up in the Bell box, yes it’s true you can silence an indoor Panel in less than a min ( assuming the installer isn’t me, hiding them in the loft to thwart access and use a secondary siren within the house) 

As for cameras- yep, IP such as Arlo wireless are great—- unless, your friendly burglar opens up your outside meter box and throws the switch if fitted or another simply trick if IP cams are seen is to loop a rope over the external phone line if it’s not underground and a sharp yank, bingo no internet and no a Camera evidence.

Best is hardwired DVR cam system which of course many can be set to email a pic/video on detection which operates using an UPS ( uninterrupted power supply) on both the DVR and internet router.....

Overkill maybe, but can’t be too careful.

1 hour ago, Jaymo said:

My god, we agree on something :-)

:good: Im not horrible ALL the time  :lol:

1 hour ago, Jaymo said:

As for cameras- yep, IP such as Arlo wireless are great—- unless, your friendly burglar opens up your outside meter box and throws the switch if fitted or another simply trick if IP cams are seen is to loop a rope over the external phone line if it’s not underground and a sharp yank, bingo no internet and no a Camera evidence.

Most burglars arent sensible enough for that, plus if they dont know the IP cams are there ?
But yes I see what youre saying, a good hardwired CCTV system is a better idea if youre serious about your security.

One thing that isnt mentioned here is whether, in the event of a 'gun' burglary and several firearms are taken, how would the police view this as of keeping your ticket ?
Would it just be ' OK send off for 1 for 1s and go back out and buy some more guns ? I find that improbable.
I know they cant just revoke you because you got burgled, but surely something has to change, especially now the local scum knows you have guns ?

Has anyone had experience of this ?

Still think interior obstacles are best.   Three large and loud dogs.   Best deterrent there is available.   Best burglar alarm there is available.

Unless they chuck a hunk of meat through the letter box first of course...

But my hounds couldn't get at that so they would probably just up the volume.

7 hours ago, Grandalf said:

Still think interior obstacles are best.   Three large and loud dogs.   Best deterrent there is available.   Best burglar alarm there is available.

Unless they chuck a hunk of meat through the letter box first of course...

But my hounds couldn't get at that so they would probably just up the volume.

Problem with dogs as a deterrent is that people walk them and usually at a set time often for an hour or more.. But agreed they are  good overnight and when you are not there.