Hearing protection

rsrjerry

Not wishing to derail the thread, but I use Howard Leight electronic ear defenders but also permanently wear glasses (shortsighted) and find that they must let in sound where they go over the arms of the glasses. I've also tried the Napier Pro, headband type and find that these suppress the sound almost to a light 'pop', so are far better, but obviously cuts out all sound altogether, so OK if shooting alone but not if in company or wish to hear other countryside sounds, which is all part of the enjoyment of being out.

Does anyone have this problem with glasses and similar ear defenders ?

I suppose the answer would be the Cens digital ones as recommended above, so will just have to save up or possibly get the Cens passive and upgrade later on.

OB

31 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

Not wishing to derail the thread, but I use Howard Leight electronic ear defenders but also permanently wear glasses (shortsighted) and find that they must let in sound where they go over the arms of the glasses. I've also tried the Napier Pro, headband type and find that these suppress the sound almost to a light 'pop', so are far better, but obviously cuts out all sound altogether, so OK if shooting alone but not if in company or wish to hear other countryside sounds, which is all part of the enjoyment of being out.

Does anyone have this problem with glasses and similar ear defenders ?

I suppose the answer would be the Cens digital ones as recommended above, so will just have to save up or possibly get the Cens passive and upgrade later on.

OB

I dont find my current glasses to be a problem, but have found my sunglasses problematic. Thin and slightly flexible armed glasses have always seemed fine with ear defenders for me (peltors and protacs at least, Ive not tried howard leight ones).

Last time I bought glasses I got two pairs for £20 online, changing your glasses may be a cheaper place to start than changing your hearing protection if you otherwise like what you have, assuming my experience with glasses and ear defenders is not related to some difference in the way my ear defenders are designed. 

Edited by Wb123

3 minutes ago, Wb123 said:

I dont find my current glasses to be a problem, but have found my sunglasses problematic. Thin and slightly flexible armed glasses have always seemed fine with ear defenders for me.

Last time I bought glasses I got two pairs for £20 online, changing your glasses may be a cheaper place to start than changing your hearing protection if you otherwise like what you have. 

Thanks for that. I never thought of going that route. I do have another pair of glasses used for night driving with anti glare lenses which appear to have more flexible arms, so will give them a try next time out. Generally the Howard Leights are really good and give amplification where needed, as I also suffer from hearing loss.

Thanks for your reply,

OB

I had a worsening tinnitus in right ear and almost total hearing loss  . Progressive hearing loss to point where I am needing a hearing aid . Done everything wrong , Glastonbury , diving accident with ears , shooting  . Can't emphasize need to protect hearing enough . Life changing debility . Got it 24 /7 . Full time . 

I agree . Hush power shotguns are excellent . Used them alot . Sadly I'm at a point where I don't want any kind of percussive noise as if causes pain and unpleasantness .  You have to adapt however .

Was informed that no-in ear solutions are as effective as over ear by a professional so plumped for the best I could find which were the Peltor Protac IIs....cheaper by half than their less effective Sportacs which I also own. I also have tinnitos...in both ears but the left is way worse, as often is the case with right handed shooters as the barrel blast is closer to the left ear.   Very pleased with them ans as a glasses wearer the deeper cushioning and larger earcups are a godsend.  Very effective.  I value my hearing so despite looking like Micky Mouse, will continue to wear then whilst shooting.

I've got a cheepish pair of over ear muffs and cannot hear a damn thing when i have them on. Nothing at all. I think they were about 30 quid online. 

I've tried all sorts of plugs and find them uncomfortable after a bit. The worst I've found are one's that apparently stop the bang but let you talk. I found they didn't stop very much at all really and were painful after a short time. 

On 18/04/2018 at 21:26, Mice! said:

have any of you tried wearing any of the cens etc for 12 hrs? I have to wear ear plugs in work plus I'm deaf ish, got sent for scans after my last test because my right ear is so much worse than my left.

I wear the roll up orange plug type, sometimes there ok others there a pain in the ..

any recommendations for ear plugs in work? Wearing proper ear muff style isn't really an option as there not comfy for a full shift.

cheers

Earplugs/defenders etc for work should be spec’d  to meet an appropriate amount of attentuation whilst not over attentuating and causing other risks such as not being able to hear alarms etc. Over attentuation also causes wearers to remove the ppe when it’s not suited to their work. Shooting protection is based on attenuating Lmax levels and not continuous noise....

long and short is that your work should provide something fit for purpose, and you risk your own hearing by using your own (potentially). 3m and the like offer a range of products to suit a particular level of attenuation, so your employer should be able to provide options rather than just the disposable foam option

T. 

Edited by Tford

4 hours ago, Tford said:

Earplugs/defenders etc for work should be spec’d  to meet an appropriate amount of attentuation whilst not over attentuating and causing other risks such as not being able to hear alarms etc. Over attentuation also causes wearers to remove the ppe when it’s not suited to their work. Shooting protection is based on attenuating Lmax levels and not continuous noise....

long and short is that your work should provide something fit for purpose, and you risk your own hearing by using your own (potentially). 3m and the like offer a range of products to suit a particular level of attenuation, so your employer should be able to provide options rather than just the disposable foam option

T. 

Thanks for that, we do have a few different options but i quite often take them out if someone is talking to me, its air line noise and high speed machining along with extractor fans and the general drone. I just wondered if the properly molded type ear plug would give a better fit and performance.

I know I have said it many times before BUT I have some of the original Cens and I have ceased to use them because they are so poor and hurt like hell after a couple of hours. I have some Emtech soft rubber passives which are around 20 years old and are still superb. If buying Cens, make sure that you get the soft rubber type or live to regret it. Cens after sales is rubbish too !

37 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Thanks for that, we do have a few different options but i quite often take them out if someone is talking to me, its air line noise and high speed machining along with extractor fans and the general drone. I just wondered if the properly molded type ear plug would give a better fit and performance.

Probably would be better if designed off your workplace noise assessment. Although by the fact you need to take out the standard ones to talk sounds like the choice made by the workplace may not be the best. So many workplaces just buy whatever off the shelf and assume it’ll do the trick. Earplugs are earplugs right!?!?

Sadly I live in the work of acoustics and so many ‘elf and safety experts’ have no idea about effective noise control just assuming the biggest attenuation is the best. 

18 minutes ago, Tford said:

Probably would be better if designed off your workplace noise assessment. Although by the fact you need to take out the standard ones to talk sounds like the choice made by the workplace may not be the best. So many workplaces just buy whatever off the shelf and assume it’ll do the trick. Earplugs are earplugs right!?!?

Sadly I live in the work of acoustics and so many ‘elf and safety experts’ have no idea about effective noise control just assuming the biggest attenuation is the best. 

sounds about right, I'll be making some enquires. Give me something else to moan about at work, thanks

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

Get your H&S crew to get in touch with 3M, they will come in and provide samples of hearing protection more suitable. They have not long been to my place of work and we found them more than helpful.  

The moulded type are, I find anyway very comfortable, enough to be worn for hours without wanting to pull them out. 

Just some useless information regarding the 'Emtech' passives. I bought them after a friend explained that he had been issued with a set, as a Police motor cyclist. Although needing hearing protection. they have to be able to hear the speaker for the Police radio, which is fitted inside their helmet. The Emtechs allowed this.  I found them to be very good, but after losing my hearing after a couple of minor strokes, I stupidly bought some Cens.  BIG mistake.