Side by Side Club

AYA117

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I made my pin! Firstly modified the old Clarke wood lathe, I already had a 3 jaw chuck and I added an old X Y vice and turned a tester in brass while waiting for the silver steel to arrive. It’ was a slow process but eventually got a viable pin and heated to cherry the quenched in oil as advised. A spring from my parts box made two pin retraction springs. I also knocked up a disc spanner using a bit of scrap brass, a blunt 1.9 mm drill for two pins and a piece of box magazine spring for the third pin. This being sprung and with a small amount of movement, allows easy location into the disc.

I have a little work to do on the stock and then I will have a nice lightweight double for almost no money 

9CAA90CB-B93A-414E-A6D5-E1F0A02AB1C2.jpeg

9 hours ago, impala59 said:

Well I made my pin! Firstly modified the old Clarke wood lathe, I already had a 3 jaw chuck and I added an old X Y vice and turned a tester in brass while waiting for the silver steel to arrive. It’ was a slow process but eventually got a viable pin and heated to cherry the quenched in oil as advised. A spring from my parts box made two pin retraction springs. I also knocked up a disc spanner using a bit of scrap brass, a blunt 1.9 mm drill for two pins and a piece of box magazine spring for the third pin. This being sprung and with a small amount of movement, allows easy location into the disc.

I have a little work to do on the stock and then I will have a nice lightweight double for almost no money 

9CAA90CB-B93A-414E-A6D5-E1F0A02AB1C2.jpeg

Good effort, Sir!

Do not forget to polish he pin until bright and then heat gently until blue to ‘let down’ the hardening otherwise the pin will likely be too hard and may break.

Thanks for the reminder! I had missed that stage in my eagerness! Now completed and reassembled I tested with snap caps and a small piece of electrical tape to detect the strike. Both barrels have equal strike depth, to my eyes anyway and both pins retract upon opening the gun. Just the live test to do (work permitting!)

• 1 month later...
On 05/06/2023 at 20:33, marktattoo said:

cracking guns, I shoot one myself 

im in , Webley & scott 700 my go to game gun

Very good chance that I had a hand in its making .But the guarantee has long expired so if something does go wrong " it wasent me wat did it "😬

Edited by Gunman

7 hours ago, Gunman said:

Very good chance that I had a hand in its making .But the guarantee has long expired so if something does go wrong " it wasent me wat did it "😬

lol, one of the guys on the syndicate I am a member off put me on to them couple of years ago, as I was looking for a Aya no 2 , glad he did bought one last year , ok its a box lock but found it to be a good gun , and nothing like taking pheasants with a sxs . got to try it with eley traditional game steel at some time 

15 hours ago, marktattoo said:

lol, one of the guys on the syndicate I am a member off put me on to them couple of years ago, as I was looking for a Aya no 2 , glad he did bought one last year , ok its a box lock but found it to be a good gun , and nothing like taking pheasants with a sxs . got to try it with eley traditional game steel at some time 

Yo won’t be disappointed with Eley eco steel. I have used them from time to time in  12 in a lightweight English side by side and they certainly kill if I do my bit.

2 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

Sorry can’t remember I bought these a couple of years ago. Just cartridges are quoting £524/1000 so guessing you will be about £7 box. I don’t fire a lot, max 100 per season so price is irrelevant.

I failed maths at ‘O’level, but I still make that nearer £14/box.

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, Spencer s said:

Can s any body help I am thinking of getting a SBS but never shot one so interested on any advice on what to buy and Tips on shooting SBS 

First you should tell us your experience level and what you intend to shoot 

are you familiar with double triggers?

do you intend to use it for game or clays 

or is it just a bit of fun gun 

3 hours ago, Old farrier said:

First you should tell us your experience level and what you intend to shoot 

are you familiar with double triggers?

do you intend to use it for game or clays 

or is it just a bit of fun gun 

I shoot already from a farm but always ou aw semi bit of game and clays on Sundays  so  just like a little input  and knowledge

2 minutes ago, Spencer s said:

I shoot already from a farm but always ou aw semi bit of game and clays on Sundays  so  just like a little input  and knowledge

Thanks for the reply 

firstly lots of ss are a lot lighter than your used to so not best for heavy loads double trigger can take some time to get used to 

with this in mind I would suggest you find a single trigger gun with a semi pistol grip stock to make the transition easier for you probably bast to look for 28 inch barrels with not much choke 

hopefully you will get a little more advice soon 

It just depends;

If you want something 'basic but sound', the AyA range takes a lot of beating - and cheap second hand.  At the lower end is the Yeoman, a no frills boxlock - with or without ejectors, moving through No 3, and 4, slightly better finished boxlocks - one with ejectors, one without to 'Best Quality Boxlock', or moving up further, No 2 sidelocks can be found quite easily at decent prices.  Then there are a mass of lovely old English guns (mostly only 2 1/2" chambered) from cheap boxlock non ejectors to - well, the sky is the limit ....

The only thing I would say is avoid single triggers; except for the 'big names' (Beretta, Winchester etc.) s/s generally don't have the most reliable single triggers and some old English guns with single triggers can be very hard to get fixed if wrong.

15 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

It just depends;

If you want something 'basic but sound', the AyA range takes a lot of beating - and cheap second hand.  At the lower end is the Yeoman, a no frills boxlock - with or without ejectors, moving through No 3, and 4, slightly better finished boxlocks - one with ejectors, one without to 'Best Quality Boxlock', or moving up further, No 2 sidelocks can be found quite easily at decent prices.  Then there are a mass of lovely old English guns (mostly only 2 1/2" chambered) from cheap boxlock non ejectors to - well, the sky is the limit ....

The only thing I would say is avoid single triggers; except for the 'big names' (Beretta, Winchester etc.) s/s generally don't have the most reliable single triggers and some old English guns with single triggers can be very hard to get fixed if wrong.

I agree about the single trigger issue although a lot of the modern Turkish ones are very reliable and competitive in their respective price ranges 

was just thinking of the gentleman moving over from a semiautomatic and a over and under 

(I know it’s a flogging offence mentioning them on this thread) 😂

but good sound advice 😊😊😊👍

13 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

I agree about the single trigger issue although a lot of the modern Turkish ones are very reliable and competitive in their respective price ranges 

was just thinking of the gentleman moving over from a semiautomatic and a over and under 

(I know it’s a flogging offence mentioning them on this thread) 😂

but good sound advice 😊😊😊👍

Yes, I'm sure most modern ones are fine - and can be adjusted/repaired as needed.  However beware old English ones particularly.  There were many types and variations, some unique to the makers.  Parts are not 'available', but have to be made specially, and many are now old and possibly worn.  They can be very difficult to get sorted and to be honest, may not have been all that good (by modern standards) even when new.

By contrast modern o/u single triggers are well understood, well proven and spares are usually available.

On a personal note - I admit to being biased and prefer double triggers even on my o/u guns.

4 minutes ago, London Best said:

I would say that if you really want to experience a traditional SxS you should avoid single triggers, pistol grips, beaver tail fore-ends and ventilated ribs. 
These things all make a SxS feel as much like an O/U as possible.

I agree and something like an AYA Yeoman, reliable and is cheap as chips so nothing much to lose.

And don’t try to shoot holding the fore-end as you do with an O/U or auto. 
The splinter fore-end on a SxS is there to hold the barrels and action together, and is not long enough to hold and shoot effectively.  The left (for a R/H shooter) hand should be mostly holding the barrels. 
And, whatever you do, don’t do what I have seen some do and try and put two fingers at once on the double triggers! Use the index finger and slide the hand back slightly for the rear trigger, (hence the straight hand stock).