Side by Side Club

AYA117

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a long time watching this thread, here are my contributions. I've got a couple of other plainer English / Scottish guns, but these are the nice ones (screen shots from my Instagram account)

In no particular order -

Pair of AYA no.2's

Cogswell and Harrison non ejector

James Crockart (nearly) best boxlock

Screenshot_20221107-190140_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20221107-190136_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20221107-190129_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20221107-190123_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20221107-190115_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20221107-190110_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20221107-190101_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20221107-190056_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20221107-190046_Instagram.jpg

Edited by PeterHenry

On 03/11/2022 at 12:45, Cossington said:

GBS,

That looks intriguing - same(ish) maker? One round body, the other not. Is there a large age gap?

I'd love to see more photos. Did you buy them around the same time, or were you looking for the second for quite some time?

Tell us more...

David

Hi David,

Both are Dicksons but the boxlock will have Birmingham origins. The main reason for buying the boxlock is that it has 70mm proof and suitable to shoot standard steel, something I remain wary of with the round action. 

There is only a small difference in the stock lengths, with the boxlock being slightly shorter. I will get them both to match but haven't yet decided what the final length will be. There are 4 years between them, one is Kell engraved and the other Kell 'influenced'!!

GBS

On 07/11/2022 at 19:11, PeterHenry said:

After a long time watching this thread, here are my contributions. I've got a couple of other plainer English / Scottish guns, but these are the nice ones (screen shots from my Instagram account)

In no particular order -

Pair of AYA no.2's

Cogswell and Harrison non ejector

James Crockart (nearly) best boxlock

Screenshot_20221107-190140_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20221107-190136_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20221107-190129_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20221107-190123_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20221107-190115_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20221107-190110_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20221107-190101_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20221107-190056_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20221107-190046_Instagram.jpg

What superb wood to metal fit, that is quality.

Blackpowder

10 minutes ago, PeterHenry said:

It's shocking really, when you think about it - the amount of work that must go into makeing one

That’s why they cost so much to buy today (for a new one). 
Those guns weren’t turned out on a mass production line at a manufacturing cost of about £150, like so many offerings some folk refer to as ‘high end’ .

On 12/11/2022 at 11:20, London Best said:

That’s why they cost so much to buy today (for a new one). 
Those guns weren’t turned out on a mass production line at a manufacturing cost of about £150, like so many offerings some folk refer to as ‘high end’ .

I agree - there's a world of difference between a 1930's Morgan and a modern Ford. And the modern car has all sorts of benefits, but I'd still rather have the Morgan.

34 minutes ago, PeterHenry said:

I agree - there's a world of difference between a 1930's Morgan and a modern Ford. And the modern car has all sorts of benefits, but I'd still rather have the Morgan.

I shoot many old guns by which I mean 130-150 years plus old and find it amazing that these pieces are as fit for purpose now as when they were built. There are few mechanical items you can say that about aside of perhaps clocks. I wonder what those craftsmen would have said if they only knew their craftsmanship would stand this test of time.

• 2 months later...

Perfectly timed ejectors. My son shooting for the first time my gift to him of a Gunmark Viscount. My first too at filming a shooting video clip so I missed the firing of the first barrel before I pressed the record button! But I hope it shows how well timed ejectors ought to work. It's fun to play the last second of the video backwards and re "load" the gun as it were!

Edited by enfieldspares

2 hours ago, Gunman said:

👍Be even better when blocked out so its a nice snug fit . Not knocking but if the barrels and stock and action can side about there is risk of damage to the guns and the case .👍👍

Looking closely, I think that the barrels and the stock/actions are blocked to prevent sliding. However, I like to see a leather strap around the hand of the stock to hold it firmly in place.

Very nice case (and guns) though.

4 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Looking closely, I think that the barrels and the stock/actions are blocked to prevent sliding. However, I like to see a leather strap around the hand of the stock to hold it firmly in place.

Having fitted guns in cases as well my former employer making Oak and Leather cases for a time , I was offering  a little constructive advice . There are no blocks to hold the action ,so relying solely on wedging and there are no blocks at the front of the barrels. There is no need for straps if the case is blocked out correctly as the gun will or should not move. Without these there is risk that if the case was dropped the guards could get bent, barrels that slide back and forth can rub off bluing .

I've seen guns damaged in ill fitting cases as well as cases being damaged from ill fitting guns , so its  worthwhile to just add accouple more blocks  .This was why cases always used to come with a spare piece of " baise " to cover them with . 👍

10 hours ago, Gunman said:

👍Be even better when blocked out so its a nice snug fit . Not knocking but if the barrels and stock and action can side about there is risk of damage to the guns and the case .👍👍

Ah, I did not know that - but it makes a lot of sense now you mention it.

7 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

👍 thanks

3 hours ago, Gunman said:

Having fitted guns in cases as well my former employer making Oak and Leather cases for a time , I was offering  a little constructive advice . There are no blocks to hold the action ,so relying solely on wedging and there are no blocks at the front of the barrels. There is no need for straps if the case is blocked out correctly as the gun will or should not move. Without these there is risk that if the case was dropped the guards could get bent, barrels that slide back and forth can rub off bluing .

I've seen guns damaged in ill fitting cases as well as cases being damaged from ill fitting guns , so its  worthwhile to just add accouple more blocks  .This was why cases always used to come with a spare piece of " baise " to cover them with . 👍

👍

• 2 weeks later...

My 'proper' first gun was an AYA Yeoman Ejector bought in 1985, but I've used over and unders for over 20 years. Maybe it's nostalgia or possibly a mid-life crisis, but I've just put a deposit on an AYA No.3......all I need now is some Eley Grand Prix or Impax (preferably paper cased) and I'll feel like I'm 17 again!

Edited by Bear68