Side by Side Club

AYA117

23 minutes ago, JR111 said:

Hi everyone. New to pigeonwatch forum and recently posted asking for advice with regards a s/s. Lots of good advice. I was informed about the s/s club and thought I would show some of the old guns I'm currently using. No monetary value these days but a joy so shoot.  I'm a fan of old guns and look forward to seeing other old guns people have. 

ps, I hope that this is where I am to post. ( I was asked!)

IMG_0945.jpeg

5B5103F2-8CF4-45C9-B5FF-0CD1BB631F14.jpeg

911BB598-0600-498B-ACA0-C0EC4041C455.jpeg

IMG_6143.jpeg

Very nice 👍 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 26/09/2023 at 08:27, JohnfromUK said:

I have no intention of selling my Manton, which I don't believe has been sold since the early 19th century as I was given it from a family that had definitely owned it since the 1850s and possibly since new (1810).  I have been variously told that it could be sold (as an antique muzzle loader it could be classed as 'off ticket', though it is on my ticket) if it was not sold 'for use', and I have also been told that it could be sold as it pre-dated mandatory proof, and others have said it must be proved before sale (it is deemed to be in suitable condition to pass proof having plenty of wall thickness and no serious pitting).

As I don't intend to sell, I have never followed up on the correct position.

What a lovely story. Joseph Manton was famous for giving the proof house two fingers at them to require his guns to be proofed. A lot of his guns were never proofed because he felt he was better than the proof house and didn't require his guns to be subjected to this "new testing regime." He said that he didn't need their proof marks to prove him a good gunmaker. What a lot of us say about the GTA today...LOL. I hope yours is one. I would love to own an untested Manton. Don't bother or worry about proof, that girl is old enough to be a legal wall hanger. Only needs to be on ticket if you use it. 

• 3 weeks later...

For a change and by coincidence nearly every member of my small syndicate were shooting side by sides today. 
I took my fathers victor sarasqueta out for the day, most of the others were AYA’s in various guises, yeomans, number 4’s, and a single 25. Along with a like new 70’s Webley 700. 

IMG_3166.jpeg

Edited by BrowningDJC

57 minutes ago, BrowningDJC said:

For a change and by coincidence nearly every member of my small syndicate were shooting side by sides today. 
I took my fathers victor sarasqueta out for the day, most of the others were AYA’s in various guises, yeomans, number 4’s, and a single 25. Along with a like new 70’s Webley 700. 

IMG_3166.jpeg

Sounds like my sort of party.
I shoot twice a season with a group of close friends, some of whom I have known since the 1960’s. 
Out of the ten guns, eight of us never use anything but a SxS and one of the other two will sometimes bring one. The SxS shooters use everything from Baikals to London side locks. And we don’t take the P out of the O/U man.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

Sounds like my sort of party.
I shoot twice a season with a group of close friends, some of whom I have known since the 1960’s. 
Out of the ten guns, eight of us never use anything but a SxS and one of the other two will sometimes bring one. The SxS shooters use everything from Baikals to London side locks. And we don’t take the P out of the O/U man.

I’m quite new to side by sides if I’m honest, but I’ve taken the sarasqueta out a couple of days this season, and it’s been enjoyable to use with an ounce of 7’s. 

Wow! A proper shotgun.

On Monday I did something I don’t normally do, and took a peg on a shoot I had never previously visited with a team of guns I did not know. 
On arrival I found that I did actually know two of the others but, better still, at least two other guns were using SxS’s. I only found this out because one of them was drawn next peg to me and on the second drive my wife noticed his gun. Naturally, we got chatting and he told me he likes to be traditional and, despite owning an O/U for clays he will only use one of his SxS’s for game shooting. He showed me his gun and it was an absolutely gorgeous Frederick Beasley side lock, one of the finest guns ever made. 

1 hour ago, London Best said:

Wow! A proper shotgun.

On Monday I did something I don’t normally do, and took a peg on a shoot I had never previously visited with a team of guns I did not know. 
On arrival I found that I did actually know two of the others but, better still, at least two other guns were using SxS’s. I only found this out because one of them was drawn next peg to me and on the second drive my wife noticed his gun. Naturally, we got chatting and he told me he likes to be traditional and, despite owning an O/U for clays he will only use one of his SxS’s for game shooting. He showed me his gun and it was an absolutely gorgeous Frederick Beasley side lock, one of the finest guns ever made. 

Lucky ******; the Beasley owner, not you LB 😁

Edited by Penelope