AYA117

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Old farrier said:

30 inch are full and full 

28 inch are 1/4...1/4 

Interesting.  My AyA Senior has 2 sets barrels - exactly as yours!  I have never fired the 30" set.

The 28" barrels are original to the gun and were proved in Spain, the 30" barrels are still 2 3/4" chambered, but magnum (1350kg) proofed (proof for gun with the 30" barrels was done in Birmingham, although the barrels were made by AyA), so the gun carries both Spanish and Birmingham proof marks.

9 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Interesting.  My AyA Senior has 2 sets barrels - exactly as yours!  I have never fired the 30" set.

The 28" barrels are original to the gun and were proved in Spain, the 30" barrels are still 2 3/4" chambered, but magnum (1350kg) proofed (proof for gun with the 30" barrels was done in Birmingham, although the barrels were made by AyA), so the gun carries both Spanish and Birmingham proof marks.

I’ll try and post some pictures of the proof marks for you 

ive a bit more research to do yet  but it’s been well made and well looked after

I’m going to weigh the barrels to see what difference if any there is 

not familiar with the aya senior 

not surprised really as they did make a awesome amount of variety 👍😊 

14 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

not familiar with the aya senior

The Senior (also sometimes called the Premier) was made in very small numbers (about 40 in total) between 1979 and 1987.  It was based on the Purdey/Beesley self opening action and very expensive when new.  There is (or at least was recently) a composed pair for sale in the UK recently (Sportarm?) that have been converted to single trigger.

If proved in Spain, I think the weight of the barrels at proof is stamped on the flats if I remember rightly.

Model 56 is a nice and rare gun.

Edited by JohnfromUK

I have been shown a beauty this morning.

An Alexander Henry sidelock hammerless action with non rebounding locks manually cocked by half and full cock pinfire style hammers. It has a push down snap action underlever. Beautiful Damascus barrels, recently reproved for 70mm nitro.

I may have dribbled a little.

4 hours ago, London Best said:

I have been shown a beauty this morning.

An Alexander Henry sidelock hammerless action with non rebounding locks manually cocked by half and full cock pinfire style hammers. It has a push down snap action underlever. Beautiful Damascus barrels, recently reproved for 70mm nitro.

I may have dribbled a little.

I am a bit confused by your'hammerless  action manually cocked'!

34 minutes ago, Blackpowder said:

I am a bit confused by your'hammerless  action manually cocked'!

It’s a transitional era gun. Think hammerless sidelock, but the fall of the barrels does not cock the locks, nor does the closing as in a Purdey action. You have to cock the locks with two external “hammers” which are actually cocking levers. The hammers do not hit the strikers, they are fired internally as in a normal hammerless sidelock. It is beautiful and oozes quality. Hope this is clearer??

5 minutes ago, London Best said:

Think hammerless sidelock, but the fall of the barrels does not cock the locks, nor does the closing as in a Purdey action. You have to cock the locks with two external “hammers” which are actually cocking levers. The hammers do not hit the strikers, they are fired internally as in a normal hammerless sidelock.

Like this? (Photo by Vintage Guns)

No photo description available.

Just now, London Best said:

Does that one have to be cocked using the little levers?  
The one I was shown has a later, more modern style of sidelock and pin fire style hammers.

I know very little about it. By one of those coincidences, I had just read a post on Facebook by Vintage Guns with that picture when I read your post, so 'cross posted' the picture.  That one is a double rifle.  The little 'levers' look too small - and I suspect are just 'cocked' indicators.  Actual cocking may be from the barrel drop.  It was just a picture by the same maker which arrived at the same time - and on roughly the same subject!

18 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

hammerless sidelock, but the fall of the barrels does not cock the locks, nor does the closing as in a Purdey action.

To correct you (slightly) I think you will find the 'Purdey' action (Beesley's patent) actually cocks the tumblers (i.e. raises the internal hammers and re-engages the sears in the bents) on opening, but compresses the springs (which do both the self opening and the 'mainspring' for the tumblers) on closing.  For this reason, when stored in its case disassembled (which no one ever does except when travelling),  the springs are relaxed as they are only ever tensioned when the barrels are closed.  Apologies photo has got distorted

purdey---beesley-action.jpg

Edited by JohnfromUK

When I see my friend again, hopefully next week, I will see if I can borrow the gun to photograph and post on here. It has a push down snap action under lever, but not like thumbhole Purdeys. The lever has a sort of flattened knob which is knurled to grip between finger and thumb. I have not seen one like that before. Also, it has a single, round locking bolt which engages in a hole in the single lump.

1 minute ago, JohnfromUK said:

To correct you (slightly) I think you will find the 'Purdey' action (Beesley's patent) actually cocks the tumblers (i.e. raises the internal hammers and re-engages the sears in the bents) on opening, but compresses the springs (which do both the self opening and the 'mainspring' for the tumblers) on closing.  For this reason, when stored in its case disassembled (which no one ever does except when travelling),  the springs are relaxed as they are only ever tensioned when the barrels are closed.

purdey---beesley-action.jpg

You are, of course, quite correct. I just phrased it wrongly.

So guys, I've been hunting for an *all around* game gun for a while, and I've been shown a AYA #2 sidelock, self opening, round action, 30", 1/2+3/4, 14" 3/4 (a bit short for me) -- gun looks almost new. Steel proof marks (not sure of chamber size, but I'll assume 2"3/4)  Straight hand stock -- nice wood, nothing spectacular... It is not a "deluxe" so has a nice case hardening colour -- but again nothing spectacular...

How much would you spend on this? "New price" seems around £8K +++ depending on options (?!)

8 hours ago, buze said:

So guys, I've been hunting for an *all around* game gun for a while, and I've been shown a AYA #2 sidelock, self opening, round action, 30", 1/2+3/4, 14" 3/4 (a bit short for me) -- gun looks almost new. Steel proof marks (not sure of chamber size, but I'll assume 2"3/4)  Straight hand stock -- nice wood, nothing spectacular... It is not a "deluxe" so has a nice case hardening colour -- but again nothing spectacular...

How much would you spend on this? "New price" seems around £8K +++ depending on options (?!)

New rrp is c.£12k, if it's in good condition tops I would go would be £4k

9 hours ago, buze said:

hello, Steel proof marks ? when was that made ? you can find out by the serial number, a number 2 round action on the ASI web site do not mention steel proof and start from £9,000, theres a pair with case on gun trader for £5,000, lots of single number 2s from £800, steel shot should be ok if open bore chokes, 

26 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, Steel proof marks ? when was that made ? you can find out by the serial number, a number 2 round action on the ASI web site do not mention steel proof and start from £9,000, theres a pair with case on gun trader for £5,000, lots of single number 2s from £800, steel shot should be ok if open bore chokes, 

The self opening option is almost £3k extra and the round action is an extra £500 over the base model

7 minutes ago, button said:

The self opening option is almost £3k extra and the round action is an extra £500 over the base model

Make sure you are happy with self opening - especially if a lady is also to use the gun; not everyone likes it because it makes for significantly more effort needed to close - and the opening lever can also be a bit stiffer to operate to open.  The effect can be quite noticeable for those (especially ladies) with smaller or less strong hands.  It also adds a little weight on an AyA because (unlike the Purdey/Beesley which is 'integral') the AyA system is based on a Holland `and Holland Royal with an additional spring in the forend.

8 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, yes but it will not shoot any different than a standard number 2

100% understand what you are saying but I would imagine with self opening it will balance slightly different, but the OP's question was about price

Edited by button

I have used a self opener on 150 to 200 bird driven days for the last 8 seasons and love it. I find it no harder to close, whereas the Purdey action is, definitely. When I use one of my other non self opener ejectors they both seem really slow to use and clunky now.

Extra weight for the mechanism h&h quote 2 oz.

Edited by London Best