Side by Side Club

AYA117

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shot it today, skeet and compak fine, but on sim game was a little slow with no ejectors. Absolutely love it, so after it's been stripped and cleaned today I'm making an offer. Seeing as it came as scrap and non working, I'll see what I have to pay to keep it.  🙄

7 hours ago, Rob85 said:

Identical to my yeoman and exactly the same year as mine too. Yours has a little more case colouring left on it. Mine could do with a reblue on the barrels but yours looks quite tidy. Hope you enjoy shooting it as much as I do mine 

If you enjoy yours as much as I did in the rain and hail today I'm sure you'll love it. I'm hoping to keep it as a forever gun.

4 hours ago, Centrepin said:

Shot it today, skeet and compak fine, but on sim game was a little slow with no ejectors. Absolutely love it, so after it's been stripped and cleaned today I'm making an offer. Seeing as it came as scrap and non working, I'll see what I have to pay to keep it.  🙄

If you enjoy yours as much as I did in the rain and hail today I'm sure you'll love it. I'm hoping to keep it as a forever gun.

Mines a forever gun for a couple of reasons. One is that essentially they are worthless because on trade in you get next to nothing for it. Secondly and more importantly I think mines priceless because if anything goes wrong the majority of spares are available, albeit requiring some minor fettling but they are there. I hardly ever hear of them going wrong or breaking down unless they have been heavily abused. 

2 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

Mines a forever gun for a couple of reasons. One is that essentially they are worthless because on trade in you get next to nothing for it. Secondly and more importantly I think mines priceless because if anything goes wrong the majority of spares are available, albeit requiring some minor fettling but they are there. I hardly ever hear of them going wrong or breaking down unless they have been heavily abused. 

Mine had just been fired and left to rust. I couldn't even break it open when I got it. It's been completely stripped cleaned, de rusted, re oiled, re assembled and used today. I put around 100 x 21g through it. Then cleaned it again. Works faultless. I'm keeping it pending negotiations but the last owner was absolutely amazed at how its turned out and I think he's having second thoughts. 

On 20/01/2020 at 12:59, Rob85 said:

So this is probably a bit of a daft question but does anyone know if the AYA Yeoman from around the 1960s was originally made with flat top checkering? I'm going to tart mine up a bit...oil the stock and maybe polish up the action a bit(the colours are all gone now) but just for chasing out the checkering lines I don't know whether I should try and get them pointed up again or leave the diamonds flat.

hello, my  yeoman had a flat rib, quite wide and patterned,  i was only chatting today to some of the people i have know since school and we all grew up shooting and fishing, my yeoman was £38, 50 shilling,  1 friend  had  a no 3 about £50 to a no 2 around a £100 and that was a lot of money in the 1970s

9 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, my  yeoman had a flat rib, quite wide and patterned,  i was only chatting today to some of the people i have know since school and we all grew up shooting and fishing, my yeoman was £38, 50 shilling,  1 friend  had  a no 3 about £50 to a no 2 around a £100 and that was a lot of money in the 1970s

According to my memory?? 
That was the introductory price for the Yeoman as a cheaper model when the AyA ‘base’ model No.3 became too expensive at £43.50p. I think this may have been around 1966/7? 
In the ‘70’s inflation went crazy and everything rose in price. In 1975 I bought a Spanish box lock ejector, L.I.G. (cheap and rough). Retail price was £80. By that time a No.3 AyA cost more than that, around £98 from memory, and an ejector boxlock No.4 was, I think, about £120/130.

10 minutes ago, London Best said:

According to my memory?? 
That was the introductory price for the Yeoman as a cheaper model when the AyA ‘base’ model No.3 became too expensive at £43.50p. I think this may have been around 1966/7? 
In the ‘70’s inflation went crazy and everything rose in price. In 1975 I bought a Spanish box lock ejector, L.I.G. (cheap and rough). Retail price was £80. By that time a No.3 AyA cost more than that, around £98 from memory, and an ejector boxlock No.4 was, I think, about £120/130.

hello, yes it was, bought from my local gun shop now since long gone, a keeper friend a few years later PXd his AYA no 2 for a new Browning A1 under £200, just been shown some old shooting times mags, ford cortina in 1964 £683, Ithica 37 £52 12 s 6 p, how times change,   

2 hours ago, London Best said:

According to my memory?? 

Too true. Wanted a new gun but couldn't justify it even though Dicksons had a lovely 26" Beavertail 1/4 by 1/2 Yeoman on offer. Mate asked if I had a credit card and what was the interest rate and then what was the rate of inflation. Oops! no contest and that remains the one gun that I should never have sold.

On 18/01/2020 at 17:57, Lord v said:

New acquisition - English ejector named as W. Hensman, no serial number. No info online, I imagine a regional seller of trade guns? If anyone has any info it would be appreciated. 

Sleeved barrels, but that doesn't bother me. Seems to be a good job. Proof mark is 1974, but I assume this was from the sleeving as there are some older marks barely visible on the flats. I believe the stock also dates from the same time. 

Some decent engraving and chocolate brown barrels. 

Quite happy with it! 

Screenshot_20200118_174546.jpg

Screenshot_20200118_174513.jpg

Screenshot_20200118_174746.jpg

Screenshot_20200118_174447.jpg

Was out at the weekend - shoots like a dream. well fitted and shoots wherever I point it. 

transpires I am very bad at pointing it in the right place.... 😁