pattern plate /gunfit

tweedledee

1 hour ago, johnphilip said:

Ok , start at 16 yards ,wear safety  glasses , tightest  choke , fire at center . And for every inch you are out , the stock will need moving 1/16 th of an inch . Then move back to 30 yards  and check your pattern.  

:good:

Just remember though that your preferred choice of MPI may well not be the PoA. It can depend on the target. For example, for larger game, 70:30 is usually deemed suitable - the pattern being split 70% above and 30% below the PoA.

1 hour ago, tweedledee said:

guys has anyone any idea the correct distance to test a gun on a pattern plate???want to check my poi 

Ive just adjusted the comb on my stock .so to see if the poi was where i wanted it .i put a large card up with a bit of black gaffer tape as an aim point . Walked 20 yds back . (No more ). And very quickly mounted the gun and fired (just as i would when pige shooting ) no careful aimimg.  I repeated this a few times to confirm that the shot surrounded the black mark and am happy that the gun is fitting me perfectly . (I then tried a carefully aimed shot and also hit the spot .). Job done .

7 hours ago, tweedledee said:

something I never spend time at...i zero my rifles and should spend more time on my shotty...id like to see where I'm hitting at 40 or 50 yds

Same. Don't think I've ever tested it out. Never checked fit either. I just get used to what I'm handling after a while. 

Could be (or will be!) the reason I only score 60-70% on the clays. 

We should all push our clay clubs to provide a safe area with a pattern plate and paper at a reasonable cost, I firmly believe we would all benefit. Even an old pallet with 30” wide lining paper and a magic marker aiming point would help. 

I use a plate at 16 yards for gun fit but more important than the distance is the interpreter of what went on before and during the shot. Quite a few people tense up shooting a pattern plate and flinch this can render the result null and void.  

Shooting moving targets under observation is also an important part of gun fitting. 

5 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

I use a plate at 16 yards for gun fit but more important than the distance is the interpreter of what went on before and during the shot. Quite a few people tense up shooting a pattern plate and flinch this can render the result null and void.  

Shooting moving targets under observation is also an important part of gun fitting. 

That all makes perfect sense, I guess that with so many variables, all tools are valuable and the eye of the trained observer is probably the most valuable! I may get someone to video me next time I'm on the plate to see if I flinch, I must confess I never even considered the possibility! I did have a little sporting clay coaching a while back but have probably un-learned all of that, and shooting at steel plates in PSG is a completely different kettle of fish so to speak!