Decoraters

Gunman

2 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

I was of the same view until I tried the crown white gloss ( it's a long story) - it's wearing as well as the solvent based but not yellowing as much, if at all.

Water based paints don’t yellow, nor do solvent based paints outside. It’s the lack of natural daylight which yellows solvent based paints and varnishes. 

7 hours ago, Gunman said:

OK one for the professional decorators , Need to paint a Bannister as the previous paint is not very good   so will strip off and re paint .

So whats the best hard wearing white gloss to use as I am out of touch with all the modern stuff ?

Better still if you don't do a lot of painting. Dulux oil based brilliant white satinwood! Easy to apply, no undercoat needed, fewer run's/brush marks, hard wearing quicker drying, easy to apply following coats. It must be bad/flaking if you think it needs stripping. Careful you don't loose any profiles/mouldings. NB

Only an amateur decorator here but having got really fed up of the trade gloss going yellow I have been using farrow and ball and it’s been great. Expensive but goes on really well lasts and stays white.  Interior wood you have Matt or gloss options and really having used most things over the years I get a good long lasting finish.  Goes a long way so I can just stomach the cost for how well it goes on

On 25 July 2018 at 07:06, Gunman said:

OK one for the professional decorators , Need to paint a Bannister as the previous paint is not very good   so will strip off and re paint .

So whats the best hard wearing white gloss to use as I am out of touch with all the modern stuff ?

If you're going to strip it why repaint it? You could consider making it a feature with an oil finish or bees wax polish. I did, many years ago. Still pleased with it.

Edited by Bobba

3 minutes ago, Bobba said:

If you're going to strip it why repainted it? You could consider making it a feature with an oil finish or bees wax polish. I did, many years ago. Still pleased with it.

There’s always this.....once you paint something it’ll always need repainting at some point.

I prefer eggshell finishes for interior woodwork; hard wearing and if needs be simply put another coat on top with minimum prep’.

Due to the nature of the construction and the amount of work involved in totally "stripping back to bare wood" which I would prefer , I will just scrape and rub down the hand rail and newel posts to get rid of the top coat of poor  paint that is currently on before repainting .

Have  to say that big projects like stripping off paint as suggested   are a thing of the past with me so will take the easy option in keeping with a 70's built house .

Thanks for all hints and tips