Effectiveness of fibre wadded cartridges at distance

3 minutes ago, motty said:

Are they REALLY killing them at 90 yards?

Have you ever pattern tested at long range?

If they are not, where do the dead birds come from at the end of the day? Does the shoot buy them in to hang up, just to look good?

And no I do not pattern test, I am only interested in how a cartridge performs in the field and not what it looks like on paper, I know some get a lot of pleasure out of it and that is fine by me. I have considered doing it, for amusement but for nothing other than that.

Edited by AYA117

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Hamster said:

Law of averages. One pebble won't hit a can at 30 paces but a handful might. 

So a big enough handful of big enough pebbles thrown by an experienced, competent thrower solves the matter right?

8 hours ago, PPP said:

So a big enough handful of big enough pebbles thrown by an experienced, competent thrower solves the matter right?

Yes is the simple answer but as always context is everything. 

We keep the target distances to around a max of 60 yards (depending on orientation and type of clay) because experience has shown that inside that zone the potential of the target to escape being hit with one or more pellets is nearasdammit nil. We don't have competitions where every clays starts at a minimum 80 with the longest at 135 yards because experience has shown that we'd mostly be having a laugh.

If you throw a handful of pebbles at an empty can at 30 paces some will sometimes hit it, if you walk twenty paces closer you will almost always hit it, with practice. ;) 

8 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

I bet i eat more 15 yd pigeons than you eat 90 yd pheasants 😛

Least my birds are dead and in front of me .Yours are bleeding under a bush in the next county. 

Many a true word spoken in jest. :) 😂 

If and when a gun and ammo combination is discovered that keeps say 100-150 big pellets inside a 40" pattern at 90 yards then I will have nothing but admiration for those who knock them in style, until then they're just humouring themselves. 

8 minutes ago, figgy said:

There is such a cartridge, I watched a video a few years ago. The wad and shot stay together for around 40 to 50 yards then the shot leaves the wad. 100 yard patterns were quite good.

Here you go

https://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/98186-100-metri-100-metre-cartridges/

As far as I'm aware actual tests done by a forum member resulted in rather dubious "patterns" with some refusing to even open up !!

55 minutes ago, figgy said:

63 gram of 2&4 shot duplex loads is all that’s required through extra full chokes. 

Or HW 13 or HW 18 shot in cartridges

Hw18 is fantastic stuff, but very expensive. I patterned a 30gm load of 7.5s at 60 yards and the results were impressive. The load is devastating on geese at that range and beyond. I killed a goose at long range last week with a similar load. Number 9s would probably be good for long range pheasants.

As a matter of interest for all these cartridge officiado's have any of you making comments regarding capabilities pattern tested some of the popular cartridges in use on these type of days, to give you the basis of your thoughts? Lots of manufacturers have done serious work to build cartridges for this type of shooting over the last few years.

I'm just wondering how you can all be so sure in your judgements so looking for the factual proof you have on what you are basing your judgements on.