Best magnet

dad

Make your own I made my own used the rear window motor off an old TOYOTA tercel 4x4 i had  in the early 80s must have been 1987 when i scrapped that so had it 30 years or more ., the motor is small and light and i run it off dry cel emergency lighting battery. eassy to make took me under two hours just basic tools  and an arc wellder, only thing it needs to be perfect is a remote control stop start .

18 hours ago, oowee said:

Once a week for three years is 150 times. If it cost you £75 that's just the price of two shells ago. Not a lot in my book and pretty good value.

I agree that it doesn't seem much, but when I consider that my oldest magnet has been in service for around 15 years (costing £50) then I look at it differently. These items should last many years. Mine was a basic UKSW model.

I agree, the UKSW ones perhaps are not the cheapest, but like Motty, I`ve got an original one, heavy but will go on forever. In the sales section if anyone is interested, but I now use the UKSW lightweight one which has given good service now for about 10-15 years, cannot remember and has been used maybe once or twice a week during that time with no problems whatsoever. I therefore would have no qualms in recommending UKSW and trust that their product quality remains the same as they always did. Also, as smidgen off for PW members.

OB

On 30/03/2019 at 08:29, motty said:

I agree that it doesn't seem much, but when I consider that my oldest magnet has been in service for around 15 years (costing £50) then I look at it differently. These items should last many years. Mine was a basic UKSW model.

I agree they should last many years and the two I have used have certainly done that , the one I gave Lakeside 1000 last year was a home made job that started life as a windscreen motor , this was virtually indestructible , my mate had it for a few years before he packed up shooting and then gave it to me , the only problem I had was the arms were made of very thin steel rod and every so often it would snap at the flat base that married into the motor , I had it for at least 15 years so it could easily be 20+ years old and as far as I know Alan have been using it with no problems .

The one I use now is a factory made one and look like a good bit of kit , weather it will last as long as my last one . or more to the point , Weather I will last as long as the last one, that we will have to wait and see ☺️

On 30/03/2019 at 13:53, Old Boggy said:

I agree, the UKSW ones perhaps are not the cheapest, but like Motty, I`ve got an original one, heavy but will go on forever. In the sales section if anyone is interested, but I now use the UKSW lightweight one which has given good service now for about 10-15 years, cannot remember and has been used maybe once or twice a week during that time with no problems whatsoever. I therefore would have no qualms in recommending UKSW and trust that their product quality remains the same as they always did. Also, as smidgen off for PW members.

OB

The lightweight one you mention is that their top model at £170

On 2 April 2019 at 13:57, dad said:

The lightweight one you mention is that their top model at £170

Sorry for delayed reply, just seen your post. It is their Ultra lightweight one, currently being advertised on their website for £148.75. Not sure whether you would still get a bit of discount off this price for being a PW member. It appears to be their top model and despite being called 'Ultra lightweight' still takes dead birds unlike some other makes that are capable only of taking hypaflaps.

Just to add, if you look at the illustration on their website, you will see two Allen grub screws on the lugs that hold the arms. These adjust the angle of each arm which I find useful in having one arm almost horizontal (if the crop allows) and the other at an angle so giving a less regimented and more natural look to the two decoys as they rotate ( i.e. One higher than the other). Also as mentioned previously by others, angling the decoys inwards also gives a more natural look as if the birds are landing. 

Well worth the money in my opinion.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

About two years ago after many years of use I replaced my home made magnet with the A1 Decoys ‘lightweight pigeon magnet’, its had a fair amount of use and will run a good 6 hours on a 7ah battery, the center shaft is height adjustable for standing crops, the ground prongs are heavy duty and can be driven into hard ground with your boot, its also very stable in wet softer soils, it does not have arm height/angle adjustment but if I need one bird higher than the other I just drive the magnet into the ground at an angle, it all breaks down and fits flat into its carrying bag, so far I have been pleased with the magnet…..https://www.a1decoy.co.uk/rotary-magnets-69-c.asp