Rabbit Killing 12G Ammo

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys,

I'm a bit new to things here so I can only speak to how we used to hunt rabbits in the states. For us, most of the rabbit hunting was jump shooting, i.e. 1-5 guys walk in a line through some rabbit containing brush/brambles/etc. When the rabbits flush you snap shoot. For the most part, shots were 30 yd or less, sometimes as short as 15' (if you were quick). Sometimes we would have beages with us that would trail the rabbits that we didn't get shooting at. Normally the rabbits would run a wide circle to come back where they were jumped from. Once the dog was on a bunny, the shooters just stayed put and waited until the rabbit came back around.

For that type of hunting, we normally used 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 oz 3 3/4 dram loads (high brass) in either 6's or 7.5 shot. I understand that shot sizes run a little smaller here for the same numerical designation (i.e. UK #5 is closer to US #6). So by my estimations #6 UK would be about #7 US. For what we hunted that would be about perfect size shot for pattern and penetration. Rabbits aren't tough to kill by any stretch. Their skin is rather thin and their muscle fairly soft. I've used US #8 shot on them, but that was for closer range open shooting (ragweed and open woods) with open chokes (cylinder) to keep the pattern density up at range. It works just fine close, but I wouldn't use that size shot past 25 yd or so.

Thanks,

Rick

Shouldnt that read using some choke to keep the pattern density up at range, I agree that using an open choke at very short range will allow the pattern to develop quickly, but am puzzled by the words "at range",

I would disagree that its ok to use such light loads at any range for rabbit even at 20yds especially with an open choke. ;)

:D D2D

so I have my first permissions where I can shoot my Shotguns. My question is, having never hunted with a shotgun is what Cartridge.

I have a load of cartridges I used for Clays, can i go through them first? Also I have a couple of hundred of Steel Game cartridges which I can obviously use. My question is aimed more toward the carts I had for clays. I think they are size 8 28G

I've never for the life of me understood anyone shooting rabbits with a shotgun ;):lol: why not get an airifle or get a rimfire but a shottie is madness justa waste of good meat. and 1 shot and there gone anyway :lol::lol:

I prefer using my air rifle but at times the shotgun is a better tool. :lol: When lamping hedgerows where the rabbits are often shot runnng or you only have a split second to shoot which rules out the airgun. :lol: Last night I had a left and right on rabbits in the dark with the shotty. They are lamp shy on this particular area so lamping them was not as effective and while I could faintly see them in the half light provided by floodlights I couldn't see clear enough to draw a bead up on their heads with the black crosshairs of my air rifle. So either I pay for an illuminated crosshair or I use the 20 bore which was in the boot of the car. As it happens I was able to pick which rabbits to shoot in the half light so didn't take any too close. This means they weren't too badly shot up as I was only using light loads. They are getting minced into burgers anyway so a bit of meat damage wasn't too much of a problem. ;) Still prefer the stalk and having to get within 25m with the airgun although bolting bunnies are great fun. :lol:

FM :lol:

I prefer using my air rifle but at times the shotgun is a better tool. :lol: When lamping hedgerows where the rabbits are often shot runnng or you only have a split second to shoot which rules out the airgun. :lol: Last night I had a left and right on rabbits in the dark with the shotty. They are lamp shy on this particular area so lamping them was not as effective and while I could faintly see them in the half light provided by floodlights I couldn't see clear enough to draw a bead up on their heads with the black crosshairs of my air rifle. So either I pay for an illuminated crosshair or I use the 20 bore which was in the boot of the car. As it happens I was able to pick which rabbits to shoot in the half light so didn't take any too close. This means they weren't too badly shot up as I was only using light loads. They are getting minced into burgers anyway so a bit of meat damage wasn't too much of a problem. :lol: Still prefer the stalk and having to get within 25m with the airgun although bolting bunnies are great fun. :lol:

Have you tried long netting the lamp shy rabbits ;) I'll e-mail you a few pictures of how I deal with lampshy/hard to lamp rabbits if you want. :lol:

Would love to try longnetting but have only longnetted once and that was during the day with Jordan. We didn't get any bolts on that particular bury though. :lol: I must admit longnetting is something that appeals to me and I would certainly like to invest in a net or 2 in the future for ferreting and maybe the odd night time excursion in pursuit of coney. ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From the BASC Shooting Hand Book for the Sporting Shotgun:-

"The following shot sizes are normally recommended in a standard 12-bore game gun for the following species:"

Partridge 6/7

Grouse 6/7

Hare 4/5

Pheasant 5/6/7

Woodcock 7

Teal 6/7

Rabbit 5/6

Snipe 8

Geese BB/1/3

Mallard 4/5/6

Squirrel 7

I highly recommend you get if if you are starting to shoot live quarry as It has a great identification guide. Not to mention excellent guideance on safe shooting conduct in the field.

Shooting rabbits with n.o. 8's is a big no no. You cannot ensure a clean and humane kill with them; something that should be atop any hunters priorities.

mr_colt.

• 5 weeks later...