Toe rags

Jaymo

Hi Jaymo.  Have you thought about using an 'alarm mine'.  Just use an empty cartridge with a new primer in, that's plenty loud.  A few signs placed around saying 'Intruders will be shot' will make the culprit think and when the bang goes off, then they hopefully won't wait around!  If you do decide to use one, don't forget to let the neighbours know!        

25 minutes ago, DoolinDalton said:

Hi Jaymo.  Have you thought about using an 'alarm mine'.  Just use an empty cartridge with a new primer in, that's plenty loud.  A few signs placed around saying 'Intruders will be shot' will make the culprit think and when the bang goes off, then they hopefully won't wait around!  If you do decide to use one, don't forget to let the neighbours know!        

Prefer the discrete options- being in the centre of the City I think an alarm mine would be a bit much.

Our current cctv sends an alert to the phone but on Sat night I had left it in another room so didn’t hear the immediate attempts.

Have turned on the Audio alerts so the cams trigger also with audio and the interface part sounds an audible alarm throughout the house- might even be able to integrate with the house alarm too? 

18 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Tin foil hats next!

I hope he doesn't return.

Good luck

I’m sure the bloke in the car with the tin foil wasn’t making hats 🙂

Thanks though Dave, sure all will be fine and we’re not here for long as moving soon for some village life 

2 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Are you going to take Ditchmans place on?

Not far from his place actually- other side of the river by a few miles.

Nice quiet civilised village life instead of city centre living - wife reads into that as “boring” and yet she chose the house 🙂

Should have moved months ago but I’m guessing rural solicitors work at rural pace 

At the risk of being called a pedant!

The term “toe rag” is erroneous. 

In the linen industry the finished fabric is woven from the long fibres that are extracted from the stalks of the flax plant.  The shortened or truncated fibres are of much poorer quality and were referred to in the mills as “tow”.

Traditionally these fibres were woven into poor quality cloth or rags; hence “tow rags”

The etymology of this expression appears to have been lost as even some dictionaries use the wrong spelling.

1 hour ago, oisin og said:

In the linen industry the finished fabric is woven from the long fibres that are extracted from the stalks of the flax plant.  The shortened or truncated fibres are of much poorer quality and were referred to in the mills as “tow”.

Traditionally these fibres were woven into poor quality cloth or rags; hence “tow rags”

The etymology of this expression appears to have been lost as even some dictionaries use the wrong spelling.

"Tramps & Hawker lads " an old Scots folk song includes the line "The toe rags round my blistered feet and my face as brown as a toad's

On 01/09/2019 at 12:45, Dave-G said:

...And to be fair about that, the country is now so full of immigrants the police will have almost zero chance of recognising a culprit.

For the benefit of Mr.D, that's not being racist - its a plain fact like it or not. 

On 01/09/2019 at 14:31, Jaymo said:

The image/ vid I have isn’t of anyone of colour or Eastern European looking, so who knows- can’t hurt to show them if they are interested.

Busted

On 02/09/2019 at 15:37, oisin og said:

my understanding of a Toe rag is from the 2nd world war in the north african desert.....where the boys had loads of trouble from the thieving local populace who were the tribe Touareg....and the name derived from that......

5 minutes ago, ditchman said:

my understanding of a Toe rag is from the 2nd world war in the north african desert.....where the boys had loads of trouble from the thieving local populace who were the tribe Touareg....and the name derived from that......

Don’t VW make them?

24 minutes ago, henry d said:

Shame it was found to be incorrect then! Looks like the original meaning predates computers, so was passed from person to person and eventually written down.

and didnt come into regular usage until after the 2nd world war.............

anyway who gives a ****

Found this on a Google search, internet says..:whistling:

J F Mortlock book from the mid 1800s described “toe rag” as an item of clothing worn by men who were either too poor to afford stockings, or were criminals. They would wrap their feet in scraps of cloth, which, unwashed, would end up in a very poor state indeed.