Apprenticeship in joinery

team tractor

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Gob smacked is an under-statement!

No one interested. Lots of older guys 25+ but no young lads. 
problem with older guys is you can’t get college courses for free but  £3000 a year. 
minimum wage makes them unable to teach . It’s such a waste

Just now, stumfelter said:

If you post your various joinery based injuries on the same site I'm not surprised in the slightest!  😁😁

Chicks love scares apparently. Could be how I managed my beautiful wife lol

On 14/10/2019 at 13:29, ditchman said:

if only i was younger........

What are you like with your tools , and have you got hands on experience ? , no we are talking about you know who 😊 , as T T is finding it difficult to find a suitable employee , you could well be on the short list :hmm: . 

16 minutes ago, marsh man said:

What are you like with your tools , and have you got hands on experience ? , no we are talking about you know who 😊 , as T T is finding it difficult to find a suitable employee , you could well be on the short list  . 

went on a boat building coarse at oulten broad........we built a 30' twin keeled gaff rigged ketch with flying jib on the coarse built out of teak with a singer enjine...the manager of the centre bought it for £7500 quid..........not bad for something that would last over a 100 years....

Its a very good offer, when my youngest son was 18 we looked seriously at apprenticships and all the ones we looked at were very poor. Most were just dodgy companies looking to take on low paid skivvies for three years with very little in the way of proper training or a recognisable trade at the end of the term.

Something like this is the real deal

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

went on a boat building coarse at oulten broad........we built a 30' twin keeled gaff rigged ketch with flying jib on the coarse built out of teak with a singer enjine...the manager of the centre bought it for £7500 quid..........not bad for something that would last over a 100 years....

There you go , T T search for a suitable candidate is here deep in the Norfolk countryside, a mature tradesman  who have got a C V as long as the Acle straight , as Lord Sugar would say , your hired :good:

15 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Its a very good offer, when my youngest son was 18 we looked seriously at apprenticships and all the ones we looked at were very poor. Most were just dodgy companies looking to take on low paid skivvies for three years with very little in the way of proper training or a recognisable trade at the end of the term.

Something like this is the real deal

The big companies do that and teach them nothing . Carillon was taking 20 a year but just got cheap labour as you say

12 hours ago, marsh man said:

There you go , T T search for a suitable candidate is here deep in the Norfolk countryside, a mature tradesman  who have got a C V as long as the Acle straight , as Lord Sugar would say , your hired :good:

Blooming hell I need a lifer not the end of his life lol 😂😂😂

15 hours ago, ditchman said:

I like to think a lot of what we make will last that long 😊. It’s a shame it’s the older generation that realise this is a great offer 😞 

31 minutes ago, team tractor said:

Blooming hell I need a lifer not the end of his life lol 😂😂😂

I like to think a lot of what we make will last that long 😊. It’s a shame it’s the older generation that realise this is a great offer 😞 

He is made of sterner stuff than most , just think of the benefits he could put into your company , service your vans , sharpen the tools and putting new handles on distressed chisels ect to name a few of his talents , then if you were threatened by flooding he could help to build you a Ark .

Joking aside , Good luck with your search for the right person , he/she is out there somewhere , the hardest part in finding them .:good:

I did 17 years at a toolmakers, started on an apprenticeship. Sent to college, money was awful compared with lads who where at CASE building tractors or lads at British aurospace. Not a lot of lads last more then 18 months before they leave for easier money. 

Good luck with your search and hopefully you find an interested person. 

On 19/10/2019 at 14:17, team tractor said:

I’ve put this on local Facebook groups and I’ve still no interest. I’m gob smacked 

I'm not. 

Was in a position to hire an engineering apprentice a few years ago to a large civil engineering consultancy. Looking for a school leaver with decent maths and English and a willingness to learn. All college, travel to and from college, hell even lunch paid for. Do well and we would pay all the way through to post grad if you wanted. Professional qualification as well at the end. Starting salary well above minimum wage, 25 days holiday and all the benefits you would expect of a large consultancy. Advertised via all the schools and colleges in the area plus the usual social media, government websites, local press etc for 4 months. 

We had two applicants. 

Both rubbish. 

I hesitate to tar all young people with the same brush but it was enough to make you weep in frustration. 

Edited by Lord v

1 hour ago, Lord v said:

I'm not. 

Was in a position to hire an engineering apprentice a few years ago to a large civil engineering consultancy. Looking for a school leaver with decent maths and English and a willingness to learn. All college, travel to and from college, hell even lunch paid for. Do well and we would pay all the way through to post grad if you wanted. Professional qualification as well at the end. Starting salary well above minimum wage, 25 days holiday and all the benefits you would expect of a large consultancy. Advertised via all the schools and colleges in the area plus the usual social media, government websites, local press etc for 4 months. 

We had two applicants. 

Both rubbish. 

I hesitate to tar all young people with the same brush but it was enough to make you weep in frustration. 

It’s getting a bit much now to be fair. I just want a willing lad. Maths and English is a must but only c’s or even d’s e’s will do. They’ll learn and earn a c at college.