Sign in to follow this  
wigeon jim

8 bore success

Well done . Lovely gun . I have a hammer 8 bore Enos James Gun that I wish i could take wildfowling over here . That is what it was built to do. My gun has no choke in the barrels and I doubt I could take a 50 yard shot.at a Goose.  If you dont mind how much choke dose your gun have. And what size ITX did you load?   Years ago the government outlawed shooting wildfowl here with anything larger than a 10 bore. I am envious.

Hi, Not 100% sure what amount of choke she has but the goose that took the full pattern had seven number 2 ITX holes in the breast alone, also had broken wing bones so pattern looks good with that 2oz load,. Great shame you can't use your 8 gauge on fowl over there,. Jim.

Never heard of dominion industrials, I only have a box of Remington kiln cases that I reload using data from the Douglas Macdougals book. Use an Elderkins greylag side by side.

Book i am reading circa 1876 africa the author is using an 8 bore and 4oz balls it looks a lot more bulky than that would it be a similar gun

8 hours ago, dad said:

Book i am reading circa 1876 africa the author is using an 8 bore and 4oz balls it looks a lot more bulky than that would it be a similar gun

They used 10--8 and 4 Bore guns in Africa, the 4 oz balls would be fired from a 4-Bore..

15 hours ago, moongeese said:

They used 10--8 and 4 Bore guns in Africa, the 4 oz balls would be fired from a 4-Bore..

Yes sorry it was a 4bore elephant gun the passage i just read the authors native gun carrier had mistakenly double loaded putting powder in by hand he fired at a charging elephant the charge lifted him off the ground and ripped his cheek open.

34 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Nice tidy job Bill! :good:

NPE cases always make a tidy job, once fired a few times, not the same. 😝

Fantastic, what a gun. A pal of mine has a single 8, English gun and uses it once or twice a season flighting pinks off Lindisfarne. I will never forget him taking a single pink out of a bunch that I hadn't bothered raising my 12 to. They must have been at least 60-70 yards and the goose was dead in the air.  

On 14/02/2020 at 09:40, kippylawkid said:

Fantastic, what a gun. A pal of mine has a single 8, English gun and uses it once or twice a season flighting pinks off Lindisfarne. I will never forget him taking a single pink out of a bunch that I hadn't bothered raising my 12 to. They must have been at least 60-70 yards and the goose was dead in the air.  

Its memories like that you will always think fondly of. Makes life worth living 👍, brilliant.

Beautifull old gun.  Now I can't understand why thw willy waggers who want to shoot pheasants 80yrds up have not all purchased 8 bores.....two ounces of #5s and with that shot string they could hit the one following as well:yay:

When I am shooting clay pigeons with mine, at big bore shoots,  I find it patterns  best with no3 or no 1 shot , and not many clays get past.

15 minutes ago, moongeese said:

When I am shooting clay pigeons with mine, at big bore shoots,  I find it patterns  best with no3 or no 1 shot , and not many clays get past.

Would love to see that!

What a stunning gun and to see it put to use brings peace to the soul

1 hour ago, moongeese said:

big bore flush 081.JPG

big bore flush 092 [800x600].jpg

55 minutes ago, moongeese said:

big bore flush 242 (2).JPG

Nice!

I think I'd still have to load 7.5's to be in with a chance.