heads up BBC 4 @ 7.30

ditchman

Shouting that's not a knife it's got no antler on it, and your grinding it wrong boi.

Hand made blade from a Landover leaf spring. Ditchy shouting that's nothing I can make a whole land rover out of that. Tsk tsk know nothing. 😂😂

Edited by figgy

18 minutes ago, mick miller said:

I can't believe, in light of all the recent knife crime, the BBC are now running a program on how to make knives.

Already drafting my letter of complaint.

I see where your coming from, but try and find a kitchen not full of knives, knives aren't the problem people are.

8 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

7:30 sharp?

Your on the edge.

48 minutes ago, figgy said:

Shouting that's not a knife it's got no antler on it, and your grinding it wrong boi.

Hand made blade from a Landover leaf spring. Ditchy shouting that's nothing I can make a whole land rover out of that. Tsk tsk know nothing. 😂😂

atta boy...:yahoo:

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Are you in the programme?

what .....like rehab'

"no....no....no...."....🎶

weeelllllll i watched it......................and to be totally honest ...i dont think he is a blade smith.....he cant weld....he hardened the metal too cold ...didnt temper...didnt clean the billet...didnt use a plenishing hammer to finish off,...........

sorry ...not impressed...........................

what i am impressed with is the level of skill and attention to detail and design skills of all the knife makers on this forum....:good:...infact that goes for all people who make stuff on this forum in their garage or kitchen or shed or conservertory......this is where the skill is not some chancer on BBC 4 who calls himeself a bladesmith

Ditchy I was thinking the same when he was waving that mig torch around like he was flagging a taxi down.. 

Two days to.make a knife that should have been done in a day.

Why bother acid etching it to show the pattern and then paper all the contrast out of it.

Burned the hell out of the wood, I've never managed to get a good bond between carbon shoot and glue.

Handle should have been heat fitted then blade tempered, no more heat after that.

We have much better knife men on here.

23 minutes ago, ditchman said:

weeelllllll i watched it......................and to be totally honest ...i dont think he is a blade smith.....he cant weld....he hardened the metal too cold ...didnt temper...didnt clean the billet...didnt use a plenishing hammer to finish off,...........

sorry ...not impressed...........................

what i am impressed with is the level of skill and attention to detail and design skills of all the knife makers on this forum....:good:...infact that goes for all people who make stuff on this forum in their garage or kitchen or shed or conservertory......this is where the skill is not some chancer on BBC 4 who calls himeself a bladesmith

I bow to your judgement and knowledge Ditchy! I did like the clever way it was filmed tho!  Intresting place.Had that revolver on the wall just been hammered flat?    NB 

2 minutes ago, figgy said:

Ditchy I was thinking the same when he was waving that mig torch around like he was flagging a taxi down.. 

Two days to.make a knife that should have been done in a day.

Why bother acid etching it to show the pattern and then paper all the contrast out of it.

Burned the hell out of the wood, I've never managed to get a good bond between carbon shoot and glue.

Handle should have been heat fitted then blade tempered, no more heat after that.

We have much better knife men on here.

i have been in a few so called bladesmith workshops......and they have all been very similar to that....they concentrate on the "re-enactment) scene...make it look the part make it pretty make it basic       .....and i think that is what it was ............when he cut the sheet steel.....(usually you will use W1 or O1 tool steel for knives)....you wouldnt by it in sheet form...

my idea of a bladesmith is him to use a 3 ply steel ...one high quality in the midle and a lesser quality on either side...forge welded together without electric arc and then beaten in 6to shape..first grind ///harden /.....temper.....2nd grind and polish and acid to bring out the harmon line then handle....

but thats me............

1 minute ago, figgy said:

Tightchoke, it would have been nice if he had talked or it had been narrated.

Maybe we didn't see all of his process.

thats the seris....there have been several made just like that ...the glass making one was excelllent....................

Worked in a glass production facility in Sunderland at pyrex when I served my apprenticeship, putting in the pipework on the new glass furnace in they called a tank.

Watched the glass blowers every lunchtime go to pub with their cans for there allowance of ale.

Edited by figgy