Eley steel incorrect

Just to show you all an eley lightening 36g cartridge that was loaded wrong at the factory. You can see from the pic that the wad has been squashed and the steel shot has gone down the side of the wad. 
I only notice because it wouldn’t go into the chamber of the gun. 
I sent it to eley to see what they had to say and they did reply saying it was just a mistake and had no issues in that batch number. The steel would of traveled down the gun without a wad to protect the barrel.

55F1E0BB-9F81-4234-AAB2-BAC13737581F.jpeg

The manufacturer makes millions of cartridges there’s bound to be something slip through 

there manufacturing down to a price we all want cheap cartridges 

higher quality control costs have to go on the product price 

I fire thousands a year and every so often you get some duds 

hard primers bad crimp soft primer miss shaped cases ends of cases disappearing 

it happens 

good to be aware and not rush between shots 

3 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

The manufacturer makes millions of cartridges there’s bound to be something slip through 

there manufacturing down to a price we all want cheap cartridges 

higher quality control costs have to go on the product price 

I fire thousands a year and every so often you get some duds 

hard primers bad crimp soft primer miss shaped cases ends of cases disappearing 

it happens 

good to be aware and not rush between shots 

No comfort if the cartridge you are firing damages and in consequence  negatively affects the value of your gun!....but I confess I am biased, as a result of a past experience I had with Eley, I vowed never to buy their products again!

14 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

No comfort if the cartridge you are firing damages and in consequence  negatively affects the value of your gun!....but I confess I am biased, as a result of a past experience I had with Eley, I vowed never to buy their products again!

Agree it’s no comfort at all although I’ll wager that more guns are damaged or devalued by badly loaded home loads 

1 hour ago, Smokersmith said:

What would you expect them to do?

I would hazard a guess that provided inflation is taken into account no cartridge manufacturer has put more money back into shooting in the form of sponsorship than the name of Eley. I haven't a clue about business so am unsure whether the virtual collapse of our sporting manufacturing base is down to the foreign makers having a playing field that sloped to their advantage, or our makers failing to recognise that to continue to prosper investment was required - or a combination of both aspects. 

In view of my more recent experience with Eley Hawk, I can do no other than reach a conclusion that their consideration for their customers has reached an all time low.

So, for whatever reason it saddens me to have to reply to your question with the answer - nothing.

Is there more risk of injury to the person and damage to the gun firing that cartridge over one where the components are loaded correctly ??

Id surgest there is .

In which case yes that cartridge is less safe .

Would you fire if through your gun now if you were given it .?  - probably not .

Which now begs the question how do you dispose of it safely.? 

40 minutes ago, wymberley said:

The answer to that depends on your interpretation of the meaning of, 'safe'

As an ex Armourer I have a thoroughly good understanding of safe in this matter.

30 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Is there more risk of injury to the person and damage to the gun firing that cartridge over one where the components are loaded correctly ??

Id surgest there is .

In which case yes that cartridge is less safe .

Would you fire if through your gun now if you were given it .?  - probably not .

Which now begs the question how do you dispose of it safely.? 

Put it aside and cut it open later.

17 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

As an ex Armourer I have a thoroughly good understanding of safe in this matter.

So, what is the answer to your own question? I was wondering if perhaps you were thinking that being safe only applied to a living being and not to an inanimate object.

Sorry Old Farrier , but I strongly disagree.

Farrier said,

'Agree it’s no comfort at all although I’ll wager that more guns are damaged or devalued by badly loaded home loads .'

Years ago if you had an issue with a commercially loaded cartridge and complained , often you would get a slab as compensation, now your lucky to get an acknowledgement.

24 minutes ago, Salopian said:

Sorry Old Farrier , but I strongly disagree.

Farrier said,

'Agree it’s no comfort at all although I’ll wager that more guns are damaged or devalued by badly loaded home loads .'

Years ago if you had an issue with a commercially loaded cartridge and complained , often you would get a slab as compensation, now your lucky to get an acknowledgement.

So you think it’s a comfort that they have done nothing? 

or is it that you disagree with the home loads causing damage 

3 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

So what would you expect a good business to do?

3 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Sell a safe product!

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Do you regard that shell as unsafe?

2 hours ago, wymberley said:

The answer to that depends on your interpretation of the meaning of, 'safe'

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

So, what is the answer to your own question? I was wondering if perhaps you were thinking that being safe only applied to a living being and not to an inanimate object.

I was asking the question of Panorama1 who was replying to Smokersmith, come on Phil read the whole thread in order!

Moreover that cartridge in the picture would probably not fit into the breech of the gun, which in the great scheme of things is a safety feature of a poorly made cartridge.

As to quite how and why Eley feel they can ignore customers who ask perfectly reasonable questions is another reason I very rarely use their products.

31 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I was asking the question of Panorama1 who was replying to Smokersmith, come on Phil read the whole thread in order!

Moreover that cartridge in the picture would probably not fit into the breech of the gun, which in the great scheme of things is a safety feature of a poorly made cartridge.

As to quite how and why Eley feel they can ignore customers who ask perfectly reasonable questions is another reason I very rarely use their products.

I did read through and without wishing to put words in his mouth in any way what-so-ever, P1's exclamation mark gives a clue to his opinion. Besides, come on, Dave, I don't understand the need to bring the BBC into this.

There is a good case presented by this thread that ALL non toxic/steel cartridges should be loaded in a clear case it wouldn’t be hard to check the wad was in place And that the shot hadn’t gone rusty if exposed to damp 

there’s my positive contribution to what the manufacturer should do to reduce the chances of a dodgy wad /cartridge going into a gun