Lead ban & BASC

5 minutes ago, southeastpete said:

The game shoots should be he ones pushing game meat to the public. They are the ones making huge sums of money from killing the bloody things. They should never be dumping them.

They should turn them into products which will a) enhance their profit and b) enhance the saleability.

instead of trying to sell birds in the feather they should turn them into curries and pies and bags of diced etc etc 

they should also put some of their huge profits into advertising game meat and making it more common place.

but it seems they aren’t really bothered as they still get paid either way 🤷‍♂️

So when would you be happy to give up lead?

and why are you being so weird about this. You’re like a child. No one has said you have to stop using lead. And in 5 years time it might not even happen. And if it does and there is a suitable alternative, then it doesn’t matter because there will be a suitable alternative!

there is a negligible chance that in 5 years a legal ban will be slapped in place immediately and still no alternative, in which case yes that will be bad. But it’s so unlikely, and that’s what you’re crying about.

how old are you out of curiosity?

firstly way to old for you to be calling me a child sonny as for the steel i already have some and slowly using it this post would not even exist had basc not called for a ban after over fifty years pigeon shooting with lead and having been shot up the backside with lead i should have a slight idea of its range against steel 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, clangerman said:

basc affects my sport and i’m supposed to suck it up? no chance! 

Well you have no choice really? I can’t see what you (or any other individual, for that matter) can effectively do about it?..........Continual sniping and gnashing your teeth is pointless, it’s just ******* in the wind!

You can always leave BASC and join another representative shooting organisation, in order to get your voice heard..........but that would leave you in the same situation, as it seems most of shootings representative bodies are party to, and supportive of, the proposals?

Just now, panoma1 said:

Well you have no choice really? I can’t see what you (or any other individual, for that matter) can effectively do about it?..........Continual sniping and gnashing your teeth is pointless, it’s just ******* in the wind!

You can always leave BASC and join another representative shooting organisation, in order to get your voice heard..........but that would leave you in the same situation, as it seems most of shootings representative bodies are party to, and supportive of, the proposals?

your right that’s my point all i can do is suck it up i stopped funding basc for this very reason basc make decisions we have no say in and shooters would not have allowed this stupidity to take place 

19 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Oh! I don't know, there's 3 lndividuals that got together and they're doing an awful lot of damage. :whistling:

26 minutes ago, clangerman said:

your right that’s my point all i can do is suck it up i stopped funding basc for this very reason basc make decisions we have no say in and shooters would not have allowed this stupidity to take place 

But as a shooter! I don’t know whether I would have supported the “stupidity” or not!...........firstly I would need to know the reasons and driving forces and have the arguments for and against explained to me, before I could make an informed decision............the criticism I have, is that I have been disenfranchised, I was neither informed, consulted, given an explanation, or allowed to express my opinion, by any of the shooting organisations!....now its too late!
So we are where we are.........it will serve no purpose banging on about it!

4 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Easy to do, if someone other than yourself is funding it!.......win, lose or draw......it costs you nothing! :hmm:

Yep. I see the smiley was missing. Even when it appeared on my original post it didn't work so I thought I'd try two next and see if that did the trick.

1 minute ago, rbrowning2 said:

Careful Coronavirus may put the whole country in  lockdown very soon, then we could get to a 100 pages plus of posts lol

unfortunately got a condition so already isolated I prefer the dog to most people under fifty so not bothered to much unless it stops me going out 

I’ve just seen in an article by the Telegraph (July 2019) that Waitrose will only sell game shot with non toxic shot in the coming 2020/21 season from estates that meet there high standards. Maybe room for a bit more thought on regulation as to what lead can be used on, vermin or own consumption etc. 

29 minutes ago, 8 shot said:

I’ve just seen in an article by the Telegraph (July 2019) that Waitrose will only sell game shot with non toxic shot in the coming 2020/21 season from estates that meet there high standards. Maybe room for a bit more thought on regulation as to what lead can be used on, vermin or own consumption etc. 

Now  i do use lead in fox loads buffered and through a Turkey choke. " Briley straight rifled INVX10 ported."   I do like my shot gunning fox i use rifles but like the shotgun too.  I drop my own Lead for crows  pigeon loads and i would love to keep Lead for qwn consumption and vermin like fox a perfect example really.

But although it would suit me , and many others its still lead and we are putting it into the environment . Its not the way to do things. We have to move on at some point. And its not like your entering uncarted waters, wildfowlers have navigated these waters for years with no ship wrecks. :lol:

3 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Now  i do use lead in fox loads buffered and through a Turkey choke. " Briley straight rifled INVX10 ported."   I do like my shot gunning fox i use rifles but like the shotgun too.  I drop my own Lead for crows  pigeon loads and i would love to keep Lead for qwn consumption and vermin like fox a perfect example really.

But although it would suit me , and many others its still lead and we are putting it into the environment . Its not the way to do things. We have to move on at some point. And its not like your entering uncarted waters, wildfowlers have navigated these waters for years with no ship wrecks.

Ah.... so now we are using some common sense and finding some common ground it will be interesting to see how there game sells, none on there game section at the mo. Lead in the ground is really a non event, far worse going in and coming out and not shootings fault for a change 

7 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

But although it would suit me , and many others its still lead and we are putting it into the environment . Its not the way to do things. We have to move on at some point. And its not like your entering uncarted waters, wildfowlers have navigated these waters for years with no ship wrecks.

so from that i take it that you have already stopped using lead,if not then you are a hypocrite:hmm:

17 minutes ago, andrewluke said:

so from that i take it that you have already stopped using lead,if not then you are a hypocrite:hmm:

No i have not stopped using it entirely i doubt many have at this moment in time . But i am trying to organise a practical move away from lead, and i am not wasting this transition period. How about you. ?

24 minutes ago, 8 shot said:

Ah.... so now we are using some common sense and finding some common ground it will be interesting to see how there game sells, none on there game section at the mo. Lead in the ground is really a non event, far worse going in and coming out and not shootings fault for a change 

It is still Lead on the ground or in the vmeat, we need to move away from it. Just because its what we always did and what we liked to do, its also effecting others and poisoning others. If not right now in years to come. There is no safe limit for lead in humans, its all bad. Other creatures are the same. its not a nice material to be around if its familiar to us or not. It has to go if we use this time to prepare it will be a smooth trouble free transition. .

9 hours ago, lancer425 said:

No i have not stopped using it entirely i doubt many have at this moment in time . But i am trying to organise a practical move away from lead, and i am not wasting this transition period. How about you. ?

Gordon Bennet, just had a deja vu moment! I was a little lad and some grown up was telling me not to do what he does but what he says.

9 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Gordon Bennet, just had a deja vu moment! I was a little lad and some grown up was telling me not to do what he does but what he says.

I will use up what lead loads i have a hand full of 10 bore AA foxing loads. and nearly a case of Joker LAs and a half a case of RC SIPE. and some reloads and odds and ends. and i have a few killo of bigger shot not huge amounts i will probably melt into fishing weights , but EHCA are after them too. even for sea angling.