Essential work

Bobba

With the current spell of drier weather my permission will, hopefully, start some planting at the end of the week.

In the event that this attracts the attention of pigeons / crows how defensible would crop protection be as essential work. Particularly as it would be solo work with no contact with others from home and return. It would also count as my daily exercise.

Thoughts welcommed. Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Bobba said:

With the current spell of drier weather my permission will, hopefully, start some planting at the end of the week.

In the event that this attracts the attention of pigeons / crows how defensible would crop protection be as essential work. Particularly as it would be solo work with no contact with others from home and return. It would also count as my daily exercise.

Thoughts welcommed. Thanks.

There is another thread on this very subject.

8 minutes ago, AVB said:

There is no definition at the moment of essential work. You are not going to be congregating, you are providing an important service and it is keeping you mentally and physically fit. Go for it I say.  

I've read something today saying the essential work is what was on the government's list for school children to still be allowed in school, NHS,  police food shops etc, not shooting pigeons.  But I doubt anyone will stop you, its unnecessary travel really though.

This came to me via my club from facebook- true or not I do not know

"So I just spoke with few and was told, if someone is caught shooting recreational, they will be classed as irresponsible and will have tickets revoked. I have turned of commenting as people want to argue and endanger others as they are either to selfish or stupid, take your pick. Look I asked as my main occupation is shooting related and the Police are quite firm about this. It is not exercise, walking, running and cycling for a short time is. The Government, Police are quite clear on this. End off, don't be stupid and risk yours and others lives."

Edited by Yellow Bear

1 minute ago, Demonic69 said:

Would it not be classed as Food Production?

Do you get paid for it? Is it your job?

At the moment it's a three week shutdown which will likely lead to another three weeks, I don't think he wanted to say two months because people would have freaked out. 

Shooting pigeons is a hobby. 

Just now, Mice! said:

Do you get paid for it? Is it your job?

At the moment it's a three week shutdown which will likely lead to another three weeks, I don't think he wanted to say two months because people would have freaked out. 

Shooting pigeons is a hobby. 

I don't shoot them, but I thought it would have been beneficial to the crop? If nobody's shooting them, does it not affect yield?

3 minutes ago, Demonic69 said:

I don't shoot them, but I thought it would have been beneficial to the crop? If nobody's shooting them, does it not affect yield?

Isn’t that exactly the reason we are allowed to shoot pigeons. For crop protection. If there wasn’t any benefit then we wouldn’t be allowed to in the same way you can’t shoot blackbirds. 

22 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I've read something today saying the essential work is what was on the government's list for school children to still be allowed in school, NHS,  police food shops etc, not shooting pigeons.  But I doubt anyone will stop you, its unnecessary travel really though.

Not what the .gov website is saying.

Edit - not about shooting but the work part

Edited by Newbie to this

48 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

The term is KEY WORKERS!

47 minutes ago, welsh1 said:

Is your journey essential? is it to do with work? or medical or shopping?
Are you within the catagory of being a key worker?

When did "Key worker" come in?

It's those who cannot work from home and need to go to work.

There are going to be a lot of people who get a shock, who think they are getting 80% of their wages.

Unless the Government has specifically shut your job down, you should be in work. Unless of course you or someone in your home are showing symptoms or you can work from home.

If your company has told you to stay home then they will have to cover the wages.

Edited by Newbie to this

Just now, Newbie to this said:

The government web site initially said key worker , it now says those who cannot work from home etc.
Key workers are listed in groups on the government website, and there are groups like the  engineering inspectorate company i work for who have been told they are key workers.

But that is splitting hairs in this instance because the OP wouldn't fit into any of the catagorisations

6 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

2112563701_Screenshot_20200324-141612_SamsungInternet.jpg.85557338b63233b56f798c74974bdbdc.jpg

20 minutes ago, AVB said:

Isn’t that exactly the reason we are allowed to shoot pigeons. For crop protection. If there wasn’t any benefit then we wouldn’t be allowed to in the same way you can’t shoot blackbirds. 

Normally yes, but the country has been shut down for three weeks,  BASC have put a msg out.

I'd like to see a schools reaction if someone said my kid needs to come into school because I'm pigeon shooting

3 minutes ago, Mice! said:

2112563701_Screenshot_20200324-141612_SamsungInternet.jpg.85557338b63233b56f798c74974bdbdc.jpg

Normally yes, but the country has been shut down for three weeks,  BASC have put a msg out.

I'd like to see a schools reaction if someone said my kid needs to come into school because I'm pigeon shooting

That was not my point.

The "key worker" is for school not going to work.

I understand the confusion the Government put it on their website, but it was quickly edited.

20200323_230957.png.09d8d209b7090ac06a0923348dbcc7d7.png

2 minutes ago, welsh1 said:

I think you may be right and that it is intended for the next stage

Yes, it is definitely coming

Edited by Newbie to this

1 minute ago, Newbie to this said:

That was not my point.

The "key worker" is for school not going to work.

I understand the confusion the Government put it on their website, but it was quickly edited.

Yes, it is definitely coming

I saw a screenshot of something this morning saying the government had updated going to work only if it was essential work,  not essential you go to work but I can't find it now.

13 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I saw a screenshot of something this morning saying the government had updated going to work only if it was essential work,  not essential you go to work but I can't find it now.

That was what was originally uploaded on the .gov website. But within 30 minutes (I think) it was changed.

https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus

Edit - 3 hours ago on the HM Government's Facebook page 

https://www.facebook.com/408582579294175/posts/1665297420289345/

Edited by Newbie to this

31 minutes ago, Mice! said:

This list is from the Sun.

The first one available from the Govt included the piece about food workers …. ignore the above.

22 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

This list is from the Sun.

The first one available from the Govt included the piece about food workers …. ignore the above.

That's the only condensed list I've seen,  the others are all title and description. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/24/key-workers-list-essential-coronavirus-uk/

39 minutes ago, Mice! said:

That's the only condensed list I've seen,  the others are all title and description. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/24/key-workers-list-essential-coronavirus-uk/

Yes but this list relates to the provision of school care if you fall into one of these many roles. It doesn’t relate to whether you can go to work or not. There may be other constraints put in place later but at the moment the government are saying you can go to work if you can’t work from home.