BASC political update

After Labour’s incredibly disappointing condemnation of the exemption of shooting in relation to Covid-19 rules and guidance BASC has held urgent meetings with all parts of Labour in an attempt to educate about the benefits of sustainable shooting.  The Political team have been stressing to key officials, shadow ministers and staffers that by criticising the exemption Labour were, in turn, criticising the saving of hundreds of thousands of jobs, the rural economy and way of life.

Political meetings recently included the Shadow DEFRA minister for the Natural Environment, officials from the Shadow Home Secretary Nick Thomas-Symonds’ team.

Jak Abrahams, BASC's Political Affairs Manager, has been introducing key Labour staffers and influences to clay shooting and explaining the vital role shoots play in wildlife conservation and the rural economy.

For a further insight on BASC's political work watch this video:

1 minute ago, Conor O'Gorman said:
After Labour’s incredibly disappointing condemnation of the exemption of shooting in relation to Covid-19 rules and guidance BASC has held urgent meetings with all parts of Labour in an attempt to educate about the benefits of sustainable shooting.  The Political team have been stressing to key officials, shadow ministers and staffers that by criticising the exemption Labour were, in turn, criticising the saving of hundreds of thousands of jobs, the rural economy and way of life.

Political meetings recently included the Shadow DEFRA minister for the Natural Environment, officials from the Shadow Home Secretary Nick Thomas-Symonds’ team.

Jak Abrahams, BASC's Political Affairs Manager, has been introducing key Labour staffers and influences to clay shooting and explaining the vital role shoots play in wildlife conservation and the rural economy.

For a further insight on BASC's political work watch this video:

All stuff that needs doing ,education of the ignorant is never wasted well done.

22 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Thanks Conor, but the link sends me to that old really boring video. Is it that correct? Well done BASC for getting involved with Labour anyway. Most of them are not bad people just uninformed. 

In fairness I think that video gives a really good insight into political lobbying - its definitely worth a watch for anyone wanting that extra insight - but perhaps I am biased!

The message we are getting across in these meetings and with the many Labour MPs we meet throughout the year is that our membership is representative of rural seat nationwide and that by alienating people that shoot they will struggle to win back any of the rural seats they have lost over the past two decades. 

All those contacted now have a far greater understanding of sustainable shooting (the majority of which had very little to no knowledge of what we do) and a relationship has been formed. On this basis we can now continue to engage at high levels and let our education disseminate. Our goal is to get a formal party stance on the importance of sustainable shooting very much along the lines of what we had under the Blair government.

Working with MPs from across all parties is an ongoing process and pigeonwatch members can certainly help by getting involved in the BASC Parliamentary Campaign to Support Rural Britain.

BASC is searching for gamekeepers, shoots, clubs, syndicates and trade members who are willing to showcase their sport and business to their local MP.

If you are willing to assist us in this initiative please email politics@basc.org.uk

See below for more information:

https://basc.org.uk/new-initiative-seeks-to-enhance-interaction-between-parliamentarians-and-shooting/

When the Tory Government banned handguns in 1996 and as it was going through Parliament we invited all the club's members' MPs to come and see pistol shooting. The only one that bothered to come out of three invited Labour MPs and five invited Tory MPs was Keith Vaz. He came on his own, without staff or supporters and spent an hour and listened. He still said, there and then, that he agreed with the ban but at least he had the courage to come.

Conor, I followed the link to the BASc politics dept where, in order to send them an email I was asked to complete such details as my email server number. Something of which I have no idea. Why is such an antiquated contact system being used by a dept who`s very existance revolves around seamless communication?

I gave up trying to contact them through their own medium although I am interested in taking part.

Regards, Nick.

4 hours ago, mudpatten said:

Conor, I followed the link to the BASc politics dept where, in order to send them an email I was asked to complete such details as my email server number. Something of which I have no idea. Why is such an antiquated contact system being used by a dept who`s very existance revolves around seamless communication?

I gave up trying to contact them through their own medium although I am interested in taking part.

Regards, Nick.

Nick, would be great to have your help - we are asking people to email politics@basc.org.uk

Would be interested in a link to the contact area of the website that is asking for an email server number and that is not functioning so that this can be rectified. The contact us page is here https://basc.org.uk/contact-us/

I did, of course, cut and paste the email address and submitted my details. They`ve only had them for a day, and, with remote working I`m not anticipating an immediate reply but it will be interesting to see how long it takes.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the first page in your initial link on this topic and click on  "politics@basc.org.uk "it brings up a pre addressed email, but using it is`nt straightforward.

Hope this helps.

Edited by mudpatten

Nick, the link to the bottom of the page is a pretty standard ‘mail to’ style link - if it’s asking for your email ‘server number’ that tells me your email program (Thunderbird, Outlook or whatever) of choice isn’t properly set up, or at the very least your web browser thinks you use a different email program than you actually do. That’s if you even use such thing, web based email services (gmail or confusingly, also outlook formerly Hotmail) are pretty much standard these days. Unfortunately web browsers are do not, as far as I’m aware, open up browser based email clients when you click on ‘mail to’ links.

Short story long, the problem is at your end, not BASC’s. Works as it should for me.