An example of why COVID infections are on the rise.

Raja Clavata

47 minutes ago, clangerman said:

cheap but true if someone as irresponsible as me can refrain from causing the death of others so can everyone else grand dad will not thank anyone if he snuffs it especially this one 

My children couldn’t really be bothered about giving Covid to their grandparents. The’ve been dead for years

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Vince Green said:

I ready that report but its not really that exact, its based on two random tests, one in June and one in September. The first test detected 6% had antbodies the second detected 4.4%

Its certainly disappointing that the figure hadn't gone up significantly but as they were both random samples there is no real way of knowing if they represent a true comparison like for like.

Had they used the same 36k it would have, but that sort of difference in 2 random samples means very little apart from to the scare mongers at the BBC.

2 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

They got a visit from the Police and lied through their teeth about it all.

Also, for what it's worth, I totally reject the notion that snitch is applicable in reporting people during a public health crisis who are flaunting the rules when infected by said cause of crisis. I would hope few would disagree with me.

I was simply using the term you used!

1 hour ago, Raja Clavata said:

Likewise. We will make a collective decision on whether or not my mother joins us, but for the fact she has a female companion who lives with her, she'd already be part of our direct support bubble. We will make the call very close to the time but mum is keen to at least spend a day or two with us.

Since she and her companion are more or less locked down in isolation, the only real risk is one of our direct household passing on the infection to them. Calculated personal risks, we are all grown-ups.

This was being talked about the other morning,  one person was talking about getting tests for people for xmas so they could then meet up.

But if you test negative great, but you then have to isolate to know you haven't picked it up going out.

Probably the biggest risk will be older children mixing with elderly parents or grandparents,  like the kids coming home from Uni.

Just now, Mice! said:

Probably the biggest risk will be older children mixing with elderly parents or grandparents,  like the kids coming home from Uni.

This /\

1. End of term party at University - 'social distancing' might (!) lapse
  2. Travel home on public transport, often crowded around Christmas
  3. Few days later, mix with elderly relatives indoors and for hours, handling food and drinks
  4. Few days later (possibly) start symptoms
  5. Few days after that - relatives start symptoms
  6. ..............

If you think it is worth the risks - whatever the official rules (and some papers are predicting another lockdown by Christmas) - then it is your decision.  I cannot see the rules being 'enforced' as it will be impractical, so in  effect it will be up to everyone to decide for themselves based on the risks as they perceive them.

15 minutes ago, Mice! said:

<snip>

That’s exactly what’s happened to my friend. Son came back from Portsmouth last week now they’ve all tested positive and mum and dad are symptomatic.

Just now, SpringDon said:

That’s exactly what’s happened to my friend. Son came back from Portsmouth last week now they’ve all tested positive and mum and dad are symptomatic.

I hope they all get over it easily.  I have mentioned elsewhere that (fairly elderly and highish risk) locals have had it - and whilst unpleasant, both have recovered.  It is SO easy for it to get passed on that way.   When I was about 20 (40 years ago), I came home from University and went down with real flu the following day.  Fortunately neither of my parents caught it (or possibly had it mildly), but I was ill for a couple of weeks.

17 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Not having to mix with my extended family at chrismas is a bonus as far as I am concerned. Don't take me the wrong way, I don't dislike them but Christmas has become such a ritual over the years it will be good to break the habit

I am praying to God that this happens - we have had the in-laws every Christmas since we moved here 16 years ago. Then the rest of the family at Boxing Day and New Year (the wife's blood family) - it gets up my swannie. They turn up with nothing and we have to supply everything!! 🤬

Meanwhile - my Brother-in-law - my wife's step-brother didn't get to see his dad from one year to the next (although they did speak on the phone weekly!!! Only live 30 miles away) tried to hang himself yesterday and is critical and in an induced coma. Last I heard they were moving him to another hospital because of the Covid rates.

Now was this entirely caused because of the Covid situation - I doubt it - but I bet that it bloody helped the situation along 😞

6 hours ago, discobob said:

Meanwhile - my Brother-in-law - my wife's step-brother didn't get to see his dad from one year to the next (although they did speak on the phone weekly!!! Only live 30 miles away) tried to hang himself yesterday and is critical and in an induced coma. Last I heard they were moving him to another hospital because of the Covid rates.

Now was this entirely caused because of the Covid situation - I doubt it - but I bet that it bloody helped the situation along 😞

Sounds awful,  hope he pulls through. 

6 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Sounds awful,  hope he pulls through. 

Thanks - no update yet - what happens in a disjointed family - He is the best out of the lot of them and I would call in whenever I was in the neighborhood!

5 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Bob, someone is taking advantage of your good nature!

Yes - the wife because I get it in the neck like anything if I raise it - we once spent a week not talking after she was having a melt down because her family was coming round - and I just stood there and went why is it always us?

TBH my wife I think feels guilty - don't know why - got to where we are through hard work

3 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I hope things go well for him and he makes a full recovery (physically and mentally).

Thank you

19 hours ago, discobob said:

Yes - the wife because I get it in the neck like anything if I raise it - we once spent a week not talking after she was having a melt down because her family was coming round - and I just stood there and went why is it always us?

Try having a flat near the beach in Cornwall

Back in the spring, Cheltenham Racecourse (Gold Cup event) was found to be a major 'superspreader' event.  Now thay are planning a big 'drive in' fireworks display; https://www.fireworkscheltenham.com/

I initially thought that being a drive in, it might be safe enough (if totally un-necessary), but reading that they are going to do catering and drinks makes me think otherwise.  How are they going to check that all occupants of the car (up to 7 allowed for a people carrier) are actually from the same family?

I can't help thinking that this is simply not a sensible thing.