.223 bullet weight

30-6

When I had my .223 with a 1 in 10 twist about 2 years ago, I tried a couple of different weight ammo, and to be honest from 40g to 55g all grouped well. I intended to settle on 55g, but seem to be stuck in my mind with the 40g as I know they work. I've gone out to 130 yds and I would not want to go beyond 150 yds.

As it is a .223, would I be better off sticking with 55g ? What are the benefits of 55g over 40g ?

I was talking to another shooter about this, and he commented not to try Winchester 55g as there is / was a problem recently with them. Any truth in this ?

Any centre fire will exit a fox, or indeed a deer. PPU is still less than £70 per 100.

This is what a centre fire soft point will do to an RSJ at 100m., which will give those not familiar with the power of centre fire what it is capable of doing. The smaller holes are 223, the larger are 6.5x55 and 308. All soft point.

AD4C0F9C-062C-42E4-8BA9-F8BBAE6405C5.jpeg

9 hours ago, London Best said:

@Fisheruk, good post. That will enlighten a few people.

It always amuses me when you see films with police officers hiding behind patrol car doors when confronting an armed villain. Might as well have a cardboard shield like a kids game! My 6.5x55 goes straight through a 9 inch concrete block wall. Yes it will loose some of it’s energy but I wouldn’t want to be standing in line of it.

On 13/12/2020 at 23:28, 30-6 said:

I am relatively new to centre fire, why do you choose soft point over v- max ? Is it performance, cost ?

Does soft point exit a small target like fox ?

Nearly All modern CF rifle rounds that are deer legal with brass jackets will exit the target (deer or fox) unless at extreme range due to the high velocity requirements to meet the energy requirements.

Only old style or pistol type calibers with soft lead bullets tend to not pass through. (44 magnum) but most of these are not deer legal.

SP is cheap, accurate and available, v - max etc is not required and expensive.

The Americans tend to be fed the marketing hype that more expansion is always better in every situation, Hence their love of V Max etc because they believe the advertising and pay more to get it. However, in a lot of their hunting situations its not justified because a lot of deer are shot using .223 over there

The Europeans (including PPU) take a more pragmatic view and favour a controlled expansion combined with penetration.

Edited by Vince Green

21 minutes ago, Old melv said:

If shooting foxes how many bullets are you using? Vmax knocks them down consistently and rarely exits. Why save a few pennies i can see the reason if your on the range but at live targets I choose vmax.

Since I started using the little 35 grain V-max in my Hornet instead of 45 grain Sierras I have only had one exit and that was only a 20 yard shot. The 45 grainers always exited.

Exits will depend more on bullet construction rather than weight in 224. (in the 35-55 weight range) from what i have found. The biggest problem with light frangible bullets can be lack of penetration and explosive impact ending in runners. (not what you want) 

Better off with heavier like 50 + and better for energy retention  for longer range 👍

16 hours ago, Dougy said:

Exits will depend more on bullet construction rather than weight in 224. (in the 35-55 weight range) from what i have found. The biggest problem with light frangible bullets can be lack of penetration and explosive impact ending in runners. (not what you want) 

Better off with heavier like 50 + and better for energy retention  for longer range 👍

The problem with lighter bullets and therefore higher velocities is that many rifles get a bit fussy about what they like. Great if you find a load you get on well with provided there is a continuity in the supply. That often is the problem.

Less popular bullet weights will always be harder to find because dealers only want to keep the stuff that moves quickly.