Travel to Scotland?

ilovemyheckler

Nooooo you can’t travel. It has nothing to do with tiers as Scotland has a different tier system. In simple terms you may only travel from elsewhere in the U.K. for essential purposes and that is not holidays.....sorry not what you want to hear.

Travel is currently permitted by Scottish law between level 0, 1 and 2 local authority areas in Scotland and

• The Republic of Ireland (other than County Donegal)
  • Guernsey
  • The Isle of Man 

Look on the Scottish Government website as it is constantly under review. If I had to make a prediction it is that wee Nippy will not change anything in the foreseeable future!

The travel restriction thing is a bit of a minefield i am going out tomorrow ( first time in a month) the place i  would prefer to go to is 13 miles outside my council area but the Scottish Gov website says you CAN travel for exercise up to 5 miles from your council area , so i am going to my second choice which is 3.29 miles outside the council border.

And i have printed out the Scottish Gov regulations in case i get pulled up by the cops to hopefully keep me right.

12 hours ago, AVB said:

You can. You are advised  not to but legally you can travel from area to area. 

I didnt say it was unlawful, it was a general statement to counter the somewhat extreme words in the previous post. 

Whether it is unlawful or not however, I'm in tier 3 (despite living out in the wilds and not in a city) and happy to abide by the strongly worded "advice" which is given for good reason.  I wouldn't compare Boris to Hitler because of it though.

Tier 3

People living in a Tier 3 area must avoid travelling to other parts of the UK, including for overnight stays other than where necessary, such as for work, education, youth services, to receive medical treatment, or because of caring responsibilities.

Edited by Mickeydredd

55 minutes ago, Mickeydredd said:

I didnt say it was unlawful, it was a general statement to counter the somewhat extreme words in the previous post. 

Whether it is unlawful or not however, I'm in tier 3 (despite living out in the wilds and not in a city) and happy to abide by the strongly worded "advice" which is given for good reason.  I wouldn't compare Boris to Hitler because of it though.

Tier 3

People living in a Tier 3 area must avoid travelling to other parts of the UK, including for overnight stays other than where necessary, such as for work, education, youth services, to receive medical treatment, or because of caring responsibilities.

It’s interesting that depending on where you look the wording is slightly different. This is the text from the gov.uk  Website for tier 3 areas.

TRAVELLING Avoid travelling outside your area, other than where necessary such as for work or education. Further exemptions apply. Reduce the number of journeys where possible. Plan ahead and avoid busy times and routes on public transport. Avoid car sharing with those outside of your household or support bubble

note the missing ‘must’ compared to your text. No wonder people are confused and interpret their own way. 

18 hours ago, ilovemyheckler said:

As things currently stand are we ok to travel from England to Scotland for a holiday?

We have a cottage booked for the new year in the Borders

Thanks

As far as you are concerned, the travel to the cottage and sabbatical is essential to your (and your families) mental health.

No one is going to stop you as long as you are not doing something silly which attracts police attention.

On 15/12/2020 at 12:25, AVB said:

It’s interesting that depending on where you look the wording is slightly different. This is the text from the gov.uk  Website for tier 3 areas.

TRAVELLING Avoid travelling outside your area, other than where necessary such as for work or education. Further exemptions apply. Reduce the number of journeys where possible. Plan ahead and avoid busy times and routes on public transport. Avoid car sharing with those outside of your household or support bubble

note the missing ‘must’ compared to your text. No wonder people are confused and interpret their own way. 

I do wonder about you, i suppose you don't look left and right when crossing the road because its only advice and not law

First two words........ Avoid travelling,....... any fool should be able to understand what that means but you point out the lack of the word 'must' 

Surely the intended meaning is clear enough? 

Edited by Vince Green

17 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

I do wonder about you, i suppose you don't look left and right when crossing the road because its only advice and not law

First two words........ Avoid travelling,....... any fool should be able to understand what that means but you point out the lack of the word 'must' 

Surely the intended meaning is clear enough? 

Why do you think they didn’t say “Don’t” or “you must not”?

some advice I take, some I don’t based upon my own risk assessment. Unlike you I am a grown up who can make my own decisions.