Birding Year List

chrisjpainter

Well I emptied out the squirrel feeder that the tits had taken over this week.

Screenshot_20220902-202252_Gallery.jpg.9a3bc377220b2447403c5d15d701ebed.jpgScreenshot_20220902-202305_Gallery.jpg.7e3821f498f24d5734603c56d841e5f5.jpgScreenshot_20220902-202240_Gallery.jpg.ef97c143b039ee8915a776bbb6f7b727.jpg

Screenshot_20220902-202229_Gallery.jpg.df8b7a43b1d9c52d579bea139cc689a8.jpg

The saw blade measures 7 inches so that's a fair amount of moss they had crammed in, no doubt nice and snug and dry.

And we are still seeing chicks in the garden, little scruffy robins and other small brown blobs, some are definitely Dunnock but there may be linnets as well, funny to watch because they don't just fly up to the feeders, they almost hop up using the branches and other bits around the feeder.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Down here we have a Citrine Wagtail. Or perhaps we don't. Its ID is being hotly contested by the self professed great and the more wholesome good as to whether it's Citrine Wag or either an eastern race yellow Wag or  a hybrid. I've seen the bird, but only with binoculars and not my scope, so I'm in no real place to judge. The original finder was initially convinced, but now not so sure. Others are still believers. It's a case of ask three birders and you'll get 4 different ID's right now!

image.png.8c5d73e793f3dcb7f3232d024287777e.png

Photo not my own.

Currently I'm more in favour of a Citrine, then eastern Yellow Wag, then Hybrid. The colours look too uniform and precise for a hybrid to my eye, and the head and vent look better for Citrine than yellow, but who knows? Lee GR Evans is tweeting about it

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/09/2022 at 07:10, twenty said:

Spotted a Merlin yesterday (28/9/22) near Tetbury.

10 Redwing reported over Painswick (Glos) yesterday as well

It's funny, despite ever milder autumns and longer lasting summers, if anything, our migrating winter birds seem to be arriving earlier! We've had a fair few redwing already through and the odd fieldfare

51 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

It's funny, despite ever milder autumns and longer lasting summers, if anything, our migrating winter birds seem to be arriving earlier! We've had a fair few redwing already through and the odd fieldfare

Yeah, the seasons seem to be merging into each other more and more,

Been reports of Brambling and Pink Footed Geese in the past couple of weeks as well, plus a Snow Goose, (possible collection escapee).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Screenshot_20221205-102909_Gallery.jpg.b8699ef94845c6acb72c21b76da8eed7.jpg

There only Blackbirds,  but they are everywhere at the moment,  we had some cooking apples left outside,  handy for just grabbing near tea time, well after just about stripping the spikey bushes of berries they've started started apples.

I've moved them around trying to get different pictures but as soon as they get a little too close tge fighting and chasing begins. 

First Nuthatch seen for a long time, as well as a single Long tailed Tit, Bluetits,  Great tits, Coal tit, Robin, Dunnock,  Wren, Magpie, Obviously Pigeons.

the cold has certainly brought them into the garden.

24 minutes ago, Mice! said:

the cold has certainly brought them into the garden.

Yes, I am seeing long tailed tits/ great tits/ robins etc in my garden for the first time in months. I guess they have spent their Summer in the wood, which is only about 80 yards away. This is odd, because usually my garden birds are here (feeding and nesting) all year.

2 hours ago, London Best said:

Yes, I am seeing long tailed tits/ great tits/ robins etc in my garden for the first time in months. I guess they have spent their Summer in the wood, which is only about 80 yards away. This is odd, because usually my garden birds are here (feeding and nesting) all year.

That's how it should be really, and very similar to me, I've now had 4 or 5 Long tailed tits, which is more normal,  a Pied Wagtail,  Green finch and a squirrel!

And the temperature is supposed to drop towards the weekend 🥶🥶

6 minutes ago, jall25 said:

On some of our wild bplots we have up to 200 Goldies - look lovely as they flock about together 

If only the RSPB could see them, they never report the good work of supplementary feeding on shooting estates,but are quick to attack us on other issues.

keep up the good work.

12 minutes ago, twenty said:

If only the RSPB could see them, they never report the good work of supplementary feeding on shooting estates,but are quick to attack us on other issues.

keep up the good work.

Yes they dont care - it does not bring them money in

I post on their social media about the works shoots do though and the fact that they cull more than most shoots put together 

21 hours ago, jall25 said:

Yes they dont care - it does not bring them money in

I post on their social media about the works shoots do though and the fact that they cull more than most shoots put together 

We put 75kg of wild bird mix out through the spinner this afternoon, and topped up the Perdix feeders with 10kg in each,

Lots of Brambling in the mixed finch flocks round here.

It's ok RSPB, no need to thank us, we do it because we care about the birds.

Edited by twenty

3 hours ago, twenty said:

We put 75kg of wild bird mix out through the spinner this afternoon, and topped up the Perdix feeders with 10kg in each,

Thats brilliant too pal 

Good on you !

We made our own feeders a bit like the perdix ones - we actually got the mechanisms - metal bits from them i think and then used plasterers buckets - Got 50 up now i think it is - as well as fat balls and about 20 acres of bird covers - I think i like them more than the pheasants !

• 2 weeks later...

Another Greenfinch on the feeders yesterday, the second one in a fortnight, after a scarcity over recent months/years.

Hopefully they are recovering from the trichomonosis outbreak, which started in 2007, Chaffinch are also appearing more, but they were not affected as much as the Greenfinch population.

Seeing plenty of chaffinch but not a sign here of greenfinch yet. Goldfinch yes in numbers but the bullfinch seem to have disappeared. Had at least two families last year.  Hordes of blue tits, great tits, coal tits and long tailed along with nuthatches.  It is strange that a feed table/nut feeder on one table will be cleared in 48hrs but another 200yrds away hardly gets hit. They definitely have their favorite places. 

16 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Seeing plenty of chaffinch but not a sign here of greenfinch yet. Goldfinch yes in numbers but the bullfinch seem to have disappeared. Had at least two families last year.  Hordes of blue tits, great tits, coal tits and long tailed along with nuthatches.  It is strange that a feed table/nut feeder on one table will be cleared in 48hrs but another 200yrds away hardly gets hit. They definitely have their favorite places. 

Having just received a garden bird watch report for Gloucestershire, (approx 250 gardens),  the Bullfinch was down -33% on the  previous report, and Song Thrush down - 35%, Chaffinch +1%, Blackcap +18%, Dunnock +5%, Great Spotted Woodpecker +16%, Coal Tit -24%.

Agree about certain feeders being more popular, the ones nearest bushes and trees (safe reconnaissance, and escape), are certainly well used, and our local Sparrowhawk gets hungry too, but that's nature.

16 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Thats very true Walker - and i dont know if its the same with you but i have circa 150 pheasant feeders - some which are 10 yards apart - 

One may need filling twice a week - another so close only once a season 

Most odd - but very interesting really 

31 minutes ago, twenty said:

Having just received a garden bird watch report for Gloucestershire, (approx 250 gardens),  the Bullfinch was down -33% on the  previous report, and Song Thrush down - 35%, Chaffinch +1%, Blackcap +18%, Dunnock +5%, Great Spotted Woodpecker +16%, Coal Tit -24%.

Agree about certain feeders being more popular, the ones nearest bushes and trees (safe reconnaissance, and escape), are certainly well used, and our local Sparrowhawk gets hungry too, but that's nature.

That is interesting because I have a good showing of coal tits both at home and on my outer flip top squirrel feeders.

Until last year I had not seen a bullfinch for probably 40yrs.

On 07/12/2022 at 18:54, twenty said:

On 07/12/2022 at 22:09, jall25 said:

Thats brilliant too pal 

Good on you !

We made our own feeders a bit like the perdix ones - we actually got the mechanisms - metal bits from them i think and then used plasterers buckets - Got 50 up now i think it is - as well as fat balls and about 20 acres of bird covers - I think i like them more than the pheasants !

Great work guys,  the sort of thing that should be reported on 👍

1 hour ago, twenty said:

Certainly interesting,  I've had Green and Golds all year round but only in small numbers, I don't think I've seen a Bull finch or Black cap this year, but Coal tits all the time.

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

Great work guys,  the sort of thing that should be reported on 👍

Certainly interesting,  I've had Green and Golds all year round but only in small numbers, I don't think I've seen a Bull finch or Black cap this year, but Coal tits all the time.

The report also included a garden sighting of a Harris Hawk, (obvious escapee), and in another garden a Teal ! .........nice garden, Meadow Pipit reported in two gardens as well.

No Waxwing reported from winter 21/22, but an eruption of Waxwing forecast for this winter 22/23, hope that turns out to be correct.

Edited by twenty