chrisjpainter

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 17/03/2023 at 19:58, NatureBoy said:

Otters! Everywhere! Emptying ponds, and that's with a mild winter. Clearing out long established stocks of some quality fish. I am amazed where they turn up and how far they must travel over land. Forcing there way into the smallest covered isolated ponds. How do they find them? Have there habits changed/been released? Found laying up in wood piles, compost heaps, under decking, straw stacks and a piggery. To many!? So doesn't look good for nesting water birds locally again. Wild mallard, grebe, coot numbers well down. Sedge warblers etc to. Is it them keeping mink numbers in check? Local Otter Trust were releasing on quiet years ago, but dinghied it.   

Becoming a big problem.

I'm sat in the kitchen watching loads of birds flitting about, all the usual suspects I see, then up pops two pairs of Bullfinch's as bold and as bright as you like.

Just watched a female blackbird pulling what looks like old leaves of the cherry tree, each branch seems to have new buds and a few leaves hanging limp and wet.

Don't know why I didn't include the Song Thrush that was on the lawn,  what prompted me was a second joining it, and as usual I had to check whether it was a Song or Mistle.

I knew they were both Red/Amber listed,  but I was surprised to see that the Wren and Dunnock are both on the lists as well.

Then you see Gulls and Rooks and think really??

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

Don't know why I didn't include the Song Thrush that was on the lawn,  what prompted me was a second joining it, and as usual I had to check whether it was a Song or Mistle.

I knew they were both Red/Amber listed,  but I was surprised to see that the Wren and Dunnock are both on the lists as well.

Then you see Gulls and Rooks and think really??

I know it seems daft that Gulls etc are on the red list, but the way the lists are compiled is over three specific surveys.

1, Historic population decline between 1800-2021.

2, 50% decline in UK breeding in the last 25 years,

3, 50% decline in breeding range in the last 25 years.

Previous red lists included the Golden Oriole, which is now BLACK listed, meaning it no longer breeds in the UK (ceased in 2009). There are 8 others on the Black list that have not bred in the UK in recent years.

For more info, go to Birds of conservation concern, BTO online.

Hope this info helps.

6 hours ago, twenty said:

I know it seems daft that Gulls etc are on the red list, but the way the lists are compiled is over three specific surveys.

1, Historic population decline between 1800-2021.

2, 50% decline in UK breeding in the last 25 years,

3, 50% decline in breeding range in the last 25 years.

Previous red lists included the Golden Oriole, which is now BLACK listed, meaning it no longer breeds in the UK (ceased in 2009). There are 8 others on the Black list that have not bred in the UK in recent years.

For more info, go to Birds of conservation concern, BTO online.

Hope this info helps.

It's the BTO I go on for info, I won't lie I've not looked into the Gull situation,  there always seems plenty around,  but I couldn't identify most without really looking into them.

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

It's the BTO I go on for info, I won't lie I've not looked into the Gull situation,  there always seems plenty around,  but I couldn't identify most without really looking into them.

I think this is part of the confusion. One of my most hated words (and small parts of me die when I hear it) is 'seagull'. What too few people realise is that we have a dozen and more gull species seen over a year in the UK and if you treat them all as 'seagulls' you miss the fact that some are in serious trouble and experiencing serious population declines.

The BTO's the place to go for all the accurate data on bird populations. The RSPB's a bit mainstream ;) 

14 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

I think this is part of the confusion. One of my most hated words (and small parts of me die when I hear it) is 'seagull'. What too few people realise is that we have a dozen and more gull species seen over a year in the UK and if you treat them all as 'seagulls' you miss the fact that some are in serious trouble and experiencing serious population declines.

The BTO's the place to go for all the accurate data on bird populations. The RSPB's a bit mainstream ;) 

I'd agree with this but would add add that, in many cases, the decline in breeding success of some gulls is due, to a great extent, to the population explosion of others.

On 20/03/2023 at 10:47, Morkin said:

We have the most goldfinches we are seeing in years, and we now have 3 pairs of greenfinches , and we haven't seen green finches at all for 3 years, so let's hope in continues👍👁️

Yes we have at least six on the two feeders every morning and afternoon.  QUESTION????

Do these goldfinches break open the shells of the niger and eat the inner seed?  We have a bucket full of what looks like niger seed on the floor beneath the two feeders and they are emptying them both every two days.  Are they leaving the shells or are they wasting stuff???

We still have the bullfinches and now have a regular visit from a hen greenfinch.

Host of chaffinches on the maize silage.

Edited by Walker570

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Yes we have at least six on the two feeders every morning and afternoon.  QUESTION????

Do these goldfinches break open the shells of the niger and eat the inner seed?  We have a bucket full of what looks like niger seed on the floor beneath the two feeders and they are emptying them both every two days.  Are they leaving the shells or are they wasting stuff???

We still have the bullfinches and now have a regular visit from a hen greenfinch.

Same happened with me Walker - i think they wasted it

It happens a bit with the millet - the rape and even the wheat though - They clean these up after the main event of the sunflowers !

I plan to put a large tray underneath both feeders to catch the fallings. Make it about 6 inches below the actual feeders and then see if they also eat from the tray. Trouble is I have two VERY fat woodpigeons which I have to keep off. Don't want to shoot them as they are almost tame ......  also almost too fat to fly.

On 20/03/2023 at 16:14, jall25 said:

Not sure if you guys have seen but the BTO is after volunteers for the woodcock survey this April/May 

Yep! Jointly with GWCT! Yet 108,000 signed WJ petition to try and change/ stop woodcock season/shooting. Where are they now? There's a shortage of volunteer's  in several areas. Not hard to do if you know woodcock and their habitat. Many birds already seen roding. A early nest was found last week with 3 eggs. It and other early nests will of fledged before the survey window. If only a 10th who signed the petition were actually bothered and done something, instead of being sucked in by Packhams emotive misinformation anti shooting agenda yet again! What a difference it would make! I wonder how many that signed had even seen or could identify a woodcock?  If you read the science they said part of the problem with the last survey was poor volunteer knowledge and many were urban based.      NB

NB

On 20/03/2023 at 16:14, jall25 said:

Not sure if you guys have seen but the BTO is after volunteers for the woodcock survey this April/May 

I'm already in, got two squares, one in the Forest of Dean, and another west of Gloucester.

8 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

Yep! Jointly with GWCT! Yet 108,000 signed WJ petition to try and change/ stop woodcock season/shooting. Where are they now? There's a shortage of volunteer's  in several areas. Not hard to do if you know woodcock and their habitat. Many birds already seen roding. A early nest was found last week with 3 eggs. It and other early nests will of fledged before the survey window. If only a 10th who signed the petition were actually bothered and done something, instead of being sucked in by Packhams emotive misinformation anti shooting agenda yet again! What a difference it would make! I wonder how many that signed had even seen or could identify a woodcock?  If you read the science they said part of the problem with the last survey was poor volunteer knowledge and many were urban based.      NB

NB

I'm in, more required.

14 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Hello matey, I think it's some and some , because some times you can them rolling the Niger about ,and then they will be pulling out and eating whole , we have a dove which then goes and clears up after them, I will have to keep my 👁️👁️ open.

Great spotted cuckoo been seen in Suffolk. Along with white stork and alpine swift last week. Cetti's warblers and loads of chiffchaff's about. Still big mixed flocks of redwing and fieldfare to. See kite's about weekly now. Goldfinches inspecting usual shrub nest sites in garden. Don't expect them to start nesting (more leaf cover) for another month. Robin, blackbird and dunnocks on eggs. Local early attempt by lapwings got predated but, they still about. Have randomly found 3 long tailed tit nests this year. Spent ages watching pairs of english up the hedges yesterday. Still very few pigeons (Where are they?) about and they on buds. Brimstone butterfly about Tuesday and odd bumble bee. Lost so much of turtle dove and nightingale habitat over winter. Folk seem more obsessed with cutting and being tidy.  Was trying to talk to "conservation professional's" about this, and telling them turtle dove nest on 14 sites i do pest control on. Also of nightingale, adders, owls, door mice. grass snakes, hobby and water voles locally. Not believed!!!  Cos it's nowt to do with them and connected to shooting. They know it all. Sod em! Many still choose to be ignorant, blinkered, drive division and negativity. It's their job, agenda and where the money's at. At the expense of wildlife. Don't see nowt changing soon with the confusion and delays in farm payments and schemes. 1 farmer into 3rd year of conservation scheme he put several acres into but has only just got payment for the 1st. Minus penalties because he wouldn't cut valuable wide hedge/scrub habitat. Plenty more like him to. It's their passion for wildlife and conservation that keeps them going! " Nature depleted UK". Yeah right! If they chose to look they would  see! Those that know, know!        NB     

20 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

Great spotted cuckoo been seen in Suffolk. Along with white stork and alpine swift last week. Cetti's warblers and loads of chiffchaff's about. Still big mixed flocks of redwing and fieldfare to. See kite's about weekly now. Goldfinches inspecting usual shrub nest sites in garden. Don't expect them to start nesting (more leaf cover) for another month. Robin, blackbird and dunnocks on eggs. Local early attempt by lapwings got predated but, they still about. Have randomly found 3 long tailed tit nests this year. Spent ages watching pairs of english up the hedges yesterday. Still very few pigeons (Where are they?) about and they on buds. Brimstone butterfly about Tuesday and odd bumble bee. Lost so much of turtle dove and nightingale habitat over winter. Folk seem more obsessed with cutting and being tidy.  Was trying to talk to "conservation professional's" about this, and telling them turtle dove nest on 14 sites i do pest control on. Also of nightingale, adders, owls, door mice. grass snakes, hobby and water voles locally. Not believed!!!  Cos it's nowt to do with them and connected to shooting. They know it all. Sod em! Many still choose to be ignorant, blinkered, drive division and negativity. It's their job, agenda and where the money's at. At the expense of wildlife. Don't see nowt changing soon with the confusion and delays in farm payments and schemes. 1 farmer into 3rd year of conservation scheme he put several acres into but has only just got payment for the 1st. Minus penalties because he wouldn't cut valuable wide hedge/scrub habitat. Plenty more like him to. It's their passion for wildlife and conservation that keeps them going! " Nature depleted UK". Yeah right! If they chose to look they would  see! Those that know, know!        NB     

The things i found with the schemes is they are all a little self interested and not joined up

The wild bird plot side did not like the meadow side - the meadow side did not like the woods - etc etc

Because each was taking part of what they deemed was their part - rather than looking at creating a mosaic as one blends into another 

I think I have solved the niger seed problem. Cut the base of a plastic drum and made a bracket for it, then hung the two feeders just over the tray.  Yes they still chuck the seed out but we have also seen them feeding in the tray. Have up to six at a time coming every morning and afternoon.

Bullfinch cock and hen, chaffinch cock and hen,  greenfinch hen, and all the other usuals.

Real pleased we have at least one pair of bullfinches in the village.

022.JPG