Jump to content

Birding Year List


chrisjpainter
 Share

Recommended Posts

Haven't heard a Cuckoo or seen a Swallow yet , way to cold at the moment along the East coast , but as a compensate I do hear the booming of a Bittern , my hearing is not that good but I can hear it from a fair distance , and as a bonus , every so often I see it on the wing , never seen a young one or two flying together .    MM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 14/04/2024 at 07:17, twenty said:

Two singing Nightingales at Highnam woods yesterday, and a calling Cuckoo at Cotswold water parks.

Hello, Oh lucky you !!!!!!, not heard a cuckoo around Abingdon Lock for a few years now where before there were here every year, they was a Kingfisher nest in the old mill but not seen for now, maybe river pollution with fish, plenty of Cormorants !!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, Oh lucky you !!!!!!, not heard a cuckoo around Abingdon Lock for a few years now where before there were here every year, they was a Kingfisher nest in the old mill but not seen for now, maybe river pollution with fish, plenty of Cormorants !!!!

There was a nice photo of a Cuckoo in flight in our local paper this morning , mind you it don't look very happy , still far to cold around this way at the moment , the Swallows would be better off staying in Africa for a few more days until it warm up a bit:lol:

SAM-9734.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

There was a nice photo of a Cuckoo in flight in our local paper this morning , mind you it don't look very happy , still far to cold around this way at the moment , the Swallows would be better off staying in Africa for a few more days until it warm up a bit:lol:

SAM-9734.jpg

Hello, Peed of with the weather i expect 🤔😄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Saw and heard my first cuckoo of the year yesterday.

On 19/04/2024 at 20:34, marsh man said:

Haven't heard a Cuckoo or seen a Swallow yet , way to cold at the moment along the East coast , but as a compensate I do hear the booming of a Bittern , my hearing is not that good but I can hear it from a fair distance , and as a bonus , every so often I see it on the wing , never seen a young one or two flying together .    MM

Hi John, I`ve never seen seen a bittern but have heard a few out on the marsh over the years.

Saw and heard my first cuckoo of the year yesterday.

Edited by Old Boggy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Saw and heard my first cuckoo of the year yesterday.

Hi John, I`ve never seen seen a bittern but have heard a few out on the marsh over the years.

Saw and heard my first cuckoo of the year yesterday.

Evening Chris ... There is just something about hearing the first Cuckoo and seeing the first Swallow before the Summer kick off , within a day or so I normally see my first Swallow around the last week in April and that need to be a nice warm day , I do normally hear and see the Cuckoo throughout the Summer with spending a fair bit of time in the woods , the Bittern on the marsh have been on these marshes for the last three or four years so I imagine it would be the same one.

The late Jim Vincent who used to be the warden on Hickling Broad had a photo in one of the books I had where he was holding a couple of very young Bitterns , this was at a time when they were nearly extinct where now they are still fairly rare but numbers are building up nicely , you will see one before long    MM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 20/04/2024 at 07:46, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, Oh lucky you !!!!!!, not heard a cuckoo around Abingdon Lock for a few years now where before there were here every year, they was a Kingfisher nest in the old mill but not seen for now, maybe river pollution with fish, plenty of Cormorants !!!!

Hello, Heard my first Cuckoo on Friday but although not local it was still a welcome sound to hear👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 26/05/2024 at 11:02, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, Heard my first Cuckoo on Friday but although not local it was still a welcome sound to hear👍

I heard my first (and only) Cuckoo 24th May in NE Hampshire

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 07/06/2024 at 07:41, Sussexboy said:

I heard my first cuckoo of the year down near Dungeness two days ago (5th June).

They'll be making their way back to Africa very soon. Certainly fewer about now, around the large gravel pit I fish, than a couple of weeks ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well plenty to see, in my garden this week we've had Bull Gold and Greenfinch all on my feeders at the same time, quite a sight, lollipops ( long tail tit)

Then the usual garden birds feeding there chicks, small pond full of frogs and Newts, then hedgehogs bumbling around at night 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...