Birding Year List

chrisjpainter

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We have our goldfinches back this week, we always put out that small black seed out for them because they loved it , but we got some smaller sunflower hearts and it must have been a coincidence they appeared and at times there is 6 of them, so lovely to see , and also like to say we have chaffinches down the farm, quiet a few actually👍

5 hours ago, Mice! said:

😳😳😳

HAHAHA I know !!!

Thats on top of the circa 25 acres of wild bird plots i put in for them 

Its bird heaven !

Just now, jall25 said:

HAHAHA I know !!!

Its bird heaven !

oh and the 50 odd perdix type bird feeders and 20 cages of fat balls !

5 hours ago, jall25 said:

HAHAHA I know !!!

Its bird heaven !

oh and the 50 odd perdix type bird feeders and 20 cages of fat balls !

There must be squirrels bouncing off the cages 🤣🤣

Sounds like a lot of thought and effort has gone into feeding the wild birds 👏👏

3 hours ago, Mice! said:

There must be squirrels bouncing off the cages 🤣🤣

Sounds like a lot of thought and effort has gone into feeding the wild birds 👏👏

Thanks Mice

The squirrels had some serious hammer over the last few years as the plan has developed - a rarity to see many now 

Just now, jall25 said:

Thanks Mice

The squirrels had some serious hammer over the last few years as the plan has developed - a rarity to see many now 

Its great because it works for the pheasants and partridges too 

Happy to say our housesparrow numbers have built back up.  Had to put up anothe niger seed feeder as the goldfinches where having to stand in line. Bull finch yesterday so good to see they are still about and also a hen greenfinch.

Must be a lot of birds on the peanuts down the wood as all seven feeders are almost empty again in five days.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Happy to say our housesparrow numbers have built back up.  Had to put up anothe niger seed feeder as the goldfinches where having to stand in line. Bull finch yesterday so good to see they are still about and also a hen greenfinch.

Must be a lot of birds on the peanuts down the wood as all seven feeders are almost empty again in five days.

Its funny Walker - the birds here will not touch the Niger seed - i ended up feeding bags of it to the teal 

Had the birder today looking for tree sparrows - i think i saw a few in the snow but not 100 % sure 

17 hours ago, jall25 said:

Had our local expert bird watcher pop over today and he counted over 350 Chaffinch and 60 Brambling ! and a good number of Redpoll ,reed bunting, yellowhammer and greenfinch- proper buzzing !

Brilliant 👏 

13 hours ago, jall25 said:

Its funny Walker - the birds here will not touch the Niger seed - i ended up feeding bags of it to the teal 

I tried a few feeders before I found one they'd use, 

15 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Had to put up anothe niger seed feeder as the goldfinches where having to stand in line

Which reminds me I want another one 👍

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255993677438?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D777008%26algo%3DPERSONAL.TOPIC%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20220706173935%26meid%3Dfe8c99789eac46149a34079029a71050%26pid%3D101526%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26mehot%3Dnone%26itm%3D255993677438%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26algv%3DRecentlyViewedItemsV2Mobile%26brand%3DJacobi+Jayne&_trksid=p2380057.c101526.m146925&_trkparms=pageci%3A485f191c-c18b-11ed-a10b-761ef68b4b8a|parentrq%3Ada8d6f751860a2a559a33135fffc770c|iid%3A1

No idea why they wouldn't use the others, but this was recommended,  you just need to look atva few as the prices are all different with postage etc.

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

Thanks Mice

I will have a look at that

Just been out planting some teasel in the shelter belts for next year or even the year after 

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Just about to seed the side of a cleaned out pind and never thought of teazels, they would work. Any other ides for pond side bird food?

Hi Walker

I have used a mix from boston seeds - very good for getting insects in too

I also plant knapweed - the finches love the seeds and a few trees for singing posts and again insects 

I have found the key to be a mix pf many habitats close together 

On 14/03/2023 at 13:41, Walker570 said:

Just about to seed the side of a cleaned out pind and never thought of teazels, they would work. Any other ides for pond side bird food?

Teazels are great. My canaries, when I kept them, loved the seed.

I used to collect the heads when ripe and put them in a large strong paper sack (potato sack) and shook the life out of them to remove the seeds.

5 hours ago, Penelope said:

Teazels are great. My canaries, when I kept them, loved the seed.

I used to collect the heads when ripe and put them in a large strong paper sack (potato sack) and shook the life out of them to remove the seeds.

Same. I harvest and dry loads. Experiment with them in and create/add to different habitat/ edges/ scruffy corners and add to again if need be. Surprising how many mini beasts in seed heads to. Can make great shelter belt along thin hedges and hardy. Manage and cut gaps/back where needed if get to thick and wide. Naturally hold pheasants/partridge in Autumn because they attracted by so many other species feeding above. They and many species stay and feed with confidence under and on what the finishes and buntings drop. Having more pairs of eyes to preds and good prickly cover. Some plants stand up better/longer than others. You can knock back some areas so they come and ripen later once established. Or just push some over to make stops/gaps. If grown and remain thin a great frame for bramble and grasses. Nest habitat for yellow hammers whitethroat blackcap etc. If harvesting your own look for thickest stem, bushy plants with biggest and lots of heads and use those year on year. Deer don't seem to like them or pushing through them. Under rated i think. Native plant. Why aren't they included in conservation mixes like the miniature teasel (to tall)?? . . . .

Good numbers of chaffinch about. Few corn buntings spotted and pair of lesser woodpeckers in same copse again. 3 curlew came into sheep pasture at back of mine other night. Few lapwings using poached pasture to. 

Otters! Everywhere! Emptying ponds, and that's with a mild winter. Clearing out long established stocks of some quality fish. I am amazed where they turn up and how far they must travel over land. Forcing there way into the smallest covered isolated ponds. How do they find them? Have there habits changed/been released? Found laying up in wood piles, compost heaps, under decking, straw stacks and a piggery. To many!? So doesn't look good for nesting water birds locally again. Wild mallard, grebe, coot numbers well down. Sedge warblers etc to. Is it them keeping mink numbers in check? Local Otter Trust were releasing on quiet years ago, but dinghied it.     NB