Birding Year List

chrisjpainter

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seen very bold waxwings locally in Mid Suffolk last two days. Stunning birds in winter light. Fresh dead little orc found on local shoot last month. Not the first found so far in land, but very unusual. I still have a guillemot i found on job 30mls in land 8yr ago. When birds like that get blown off course and grounded they are doomed.    NB

On 21/12/2022 at 04:37, NatureBoy said:

Seen very bold waxwings locally in Mid Suffolk last two days. Stunning birds in winter light. Fresh dead little orc found on local shoot last month. Not the first found so far in land, but very unusual. I still have a guillemot i found on job 30mls in land 8yr ago. When birds like that get blown off course and grounded they are doomed.    NB

unable to load file 

Edited by islandgun

• 2 weeks later...

Happy new year, one and all! My birding year started off really poorly! I booked in half a day's birding before pub lunch with the family. I was hoping to get in 70 species across three sites of wetlands, farmland and coast. Ordinarily it'd be a good winter challenge. I managed 47. I was gazumped by all the wetland areas that produce good numbers of waders were completely flooded. A strong wind put the kibosh on lots of passerines and it was all a bit rubbish!

Notable exceptions were things like little egrets, rooks and pheasants. HOW DOES ONE GO OUT BIRDING AND NOT SEE A PHEASANT?! I didn't even know that was even possible. 

But anyway. It was marvellous. Great Northern Divers in Portland harbour and more snipe at Lodmoor than could be shot by a medium sized army. 

Here's to a new year of seeing some excellent feathered friends. 

Well done anyway.  We have seen a sudden drop of of birds visiting our feeders. The one at the house normally needs topping up every three days and the 7 tables down the wood almost every day peanuts wise.  The peanuts are still getting hit by the tit families but everyhting else other than three fat woodpigeons and a robin have vanished.  We used to get at least 20 -25 house sparrows come in en masse and a family of gold finches, all vanished. At first thought the sparrow hawk had been though and put them off but now almost three weeks at least same circumstances.  Hope it is not the dreaded flu.

40 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Well done anyway.  We have seen a sudden drop of of birds visiting our feeders. The one at the house normally needs topping up every three days and the 7 tables down the wood almost every day peanuts wise.  The peanuts are still getting hit by the tit families but everyhting else other than three fat woodpigeons and a robin have vanished.  We used to get at least 20 -25 house sparrows come in en masse and a family of gold finches, all vanished. At first thought the sparrow hawk had been though and put them off but now almost three weeks at least same circumstances.  Hope it is not the dreaded flu.

You're not the only one with that experience. This seems to be nation wide and it ties in with my feeling birding in countryside. So either the birds are all having a quiet little picnic in one tiny corner of Britain where no one goes, or there are far fewer of them. We all know about bird flu's effect on seabird numbers, but their colonies are far more obvious and easy to analyse. Our small birds might be the unnoticed victims. Not a good sign and desperate timing for greenfinch; numbers were beginning to creep up after Trichonomosis crashed the population.

55 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

It was a joy to see a male bullfinch feeding on some dock seeds this morning, They really are one of our most colourful birds, it just glowed in the sun.

Unfortunately the bird numbers here on our place have not improved with only a few Blue/Great tits on the peanuts, even the robin has vanished. 

Thats nice Walker

We have thousands and thousands this year - the holly / hawthorn and rowan are really doing their jobs 

Daughter saw a stonechat on her dog walk yesterday, but I`m not sure how rare they are in this part of Kent. She saw it near the Reculver (North Kent coast) marshes.

Always see charms of goldfinches feeding on the teazles alongside my favourite wood when out shooting, but regrettably have not seen a bullfinch for many years.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/01/2023 at 15:42, Old Boggy said:

not seen a bullfinch for many years.

We normally get a pair in the garden but I've not seen them for a while, @Sciurus said he gets loads in his garden.

On 11/01/2023 at 14:10, Walker570 said:

Unfortunately the bird numbers here on our place have not improved with only a few Blue/Great tits on the peanuts, even the robin has vanished. 

All pretty normal up here, plenty of tits, occasional Greenfinches & Goldfinches loads of Dunnocks, had a pair of Black caps coming for the last week.

Robin and Blackbirds are always here with the thrush making an appearance recently. 

Lots of magpies and an increase in Jays, plus they are bolder than they used to be.

And pigeons,  lots of pigeons. 

We also through out some white bread weeks ago, no idea where they came from but there were a dozen Turns ( I think) straight in the garden.

This morning my wife shouted through from the kitchen " come and see this small hawk" I'm pretty sure it was a Hobby or Merlin. Not much bigger than a black bird, very Falcon looking and with shorter lighter built legs than a Sparrow Hawk. I got a grainy photo on my phone sadly our proper camera's battery was flat.

On 02/01/2023 at 20:19, chrisjpainter said:

Notable exceptions were things like little egrets, rooks and pheasants. HOW DOES ONE GO OUT BIRDING AND NOT SEE A PHEASANT?! I didn't even know that was even possible

I was out after dark last night and there were plenty of rooks in the wood .

On 01/02/2023 at 10:24, cash1 said:

This morning my wife shouted through from the kitchen " come and see this small hawk" I'm pretty sure it was a Hobby or Merlin. Not much bigger than a black bird, very Falcon looking and with shorter lighter built legs than a Sparrow Hawk. I got a grainy photo on my phone sadly our proper camera's battery was flat.

It would most likely be a Merlin.

Pop up the photo here? Should be able to get an ID for you!

We have had as many as eight great northern divers in Portland harbour this winter, but only occasional sightings of red and black-throated. We have a Richard's Pipit in Weymouth too. I need to find another reason to go down there, because it's a very unremarkable bird, on the other hand I've never seen one, so I feel obliged to make an effort!

On 31/01/2023 at 21:28, Mice! said:

We normally get a pair in the garden but I've not seen them for a while, @Sciurus said he gets loads in his garden.

All pretty normal up here, plenty of tits, occasional Greenfinches & Goldfinches loads of Dunnocks, had a pair of Black caps coming for the last week.

Robin and Blackbirds are always here with the thrush making an appearance recently. 

Lots of magpies and an increase in Jays, plus they are bolder than they used to be.

And pigeons,  lots of pigeons. 

We also through out some white bread weeks ago, no idea where they came from but there were a dozen Turns ( I think) straight in the garden.

Black Headed Gulls more likely. 

Hobbies will have migrated to Africa, so a Merlin.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/01/2023 at 14:10, Walker570 said:

It was a joy to see a male bullfinch feeding on some dock seeds this morning, They really are one of our most colourful birds, it just glowed in the sun.

Have your birds returned Walker 

We are seeing incredible results with our feeding regime 

On 05/03/2023 at 07:04, jall25 said:

Have your birds returned Walker 

We are seeing incredible results with our feeding regime 

I just typed a whole list and it suddenly all vanished    so yes they have returned. 

Anyone else have this happen?  Whole sections of print just vanish with maybe the last three words left ?????????????