Brexit and Irish exports

AVB

I read today that since the trade agreement has come into effect there has been a 40% increase in exports direct from Ireland to mainland Europe rather than via the normal route to the U.K. and then across the channel. That, to me, sounds like a result with a reduction in lorries clogging up our roads. Is there a downside to this I have missed? 

17 minutes ago, AVB said:

I read today that since the trade agreement has come into effect there has been a 40% increase in exports direct from Ireland to mainland Europe rather than via the normal route to the U.K. and then across the channel. That, to me, sounds like a result with a reduction in lorries clogging up our roads. Is there a downside to this I have missed? 

If you call the government messing up promised free uninterrupted trade between NI and GB, Northern Irelands largest export market, and allowing a EU border and customs checks between parts of the UK, i don't see any plus sides to that. There is growing anger and resentment here, it will come back to bit the EU and UK government in the ***, its only a matter of time. 

Edited by ordnance

10 minutes ago, ordnance said:

If you call the government messing up promised free uninterrupted trade between NI and GB, Northern Irelands largest export market, and allowing a EU border and customs checks between parts of the UK, i don't see any plus sides to that. There is growing anger and resentment here, it will come back to bit the EU and UK government in the ***, its only a matter of time. 

What has that got to do with what I posted about? A lot of traffic that went from Ireland through the U.K. to Europe went via Rosslare to Fishguard and nowhere near NI. Now goes direct from Rosslare to Europe. 

What has that got to do with what I posted about? A lot of traffic that went from Ireland through the U.K. to Europe went via Rosslare to Fishguard and nowhere near NI. Now goes direct from Rosslare to Europe. 

Misunderstanding, it is causing a lot of problems here. I suppose some could see what you said as a good thing, but i am sure some business that relied on the trough traffic might think differently.  

Confusion over new customs and border procedures have made some British hauliers temporarily stop moving goods to the European Union and Northern Ireland, MPs at Westminster have heard.

Edited by ordnance

7 minutes ago, ordnance said:

Misunderstanding, it is causing a lot of problems here. I suppose some could see what you said as a good thing, but i am sure some business that relied on the trough traffic might think differently.  

I don’t think many on the U.K. mainland will understand how the situation is in NI. And a significant number won’t even be bothered. 

Bet Irish ferries and stenna terminals are feeling it. I lived directly behind the Fishguard (actually Goodwick) terminal and a huge portion of the clientele was freight. Its been slowing down for years and local lads were already having hours cut or losing jobs, I can't say that was down to business matters (as it looked fairly busy most days and nights) or the way things were run, but this might force some more loss. 

42 minutes ago, AVB said:

I don’t think many on the U.K. mainland will understand how the situation is in NI. And a significant number won’t even be bothered

I am well aware of that, some people are quick to forget their friends and allies. 

The division had suffered over 5,000 casualties and 2,069 deaths. The Thiepval Memorial commemorates the 1916 Anglo-French offensive on the Somme and the men who died there, including those from the 36th (Ulster) Division.

Edited by ordnance

Living by the junction of the A55/A494 I will say that it will be a relief round here as the way they (foreign) drive is quite atrocious at times. They fly through the 50 Average Speed area's without a care in the world, especially bad on Aston Hill that his slip roads that are shorter than Wigan Pier.

I know that isn't any consolation to you @ordnance and it is terrible to see the impact that it is having on your supplies over there - I was (am) a Brexiter but I do believe that you have been thrown to wolves 😞

11 minutes ago, discobob said:

Living by the junction of the A55/A494 I will say that it will be a relief round here as the way they (foreign) drive is quite atrocious at times. They fly through the 50 Average Speed area's without a care in the world, especially bad on Aston Hill that his slip roads that are shorter than Wigan Pier.

I know that isn't any consolation to you @ordnance and it is terrible to see the impact that it is having on your supplies over there - I was (am) a Brexiter but I do believe that you have been thrown to wolves 😞

👍

There will be winners and losers for sure and it will take a few years to level out but by then the South may also have done the sensible thing and divorced themselevs from the corrupt EU along with one or two other countries and we can all get back to dealing with each other without having to pay exhorbitant amounts into a fund for the 'Elite' in Brussels, all of who were total failures in their own countries. We are expected to pay them huge salaries and even bigger pensions for creating this chaos.

Also the more I think about it ,the more I can see far more positives. I believe the vast majority of these vehicles are EU registered and therefore not paying road tax and therefore not making any financial contribution to our transport infrastructure.

It's like your neighbours continually taking a short cut over your garden to get to each others house. 

Edited by TRINITY

13 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

Also the more I think about it ,the more I can see far more positives. I believe the vast majority of these vehicles are EU registered and therefore not paying road tax and therefore not making any financial contribution to our transport infrastructure.

It's like your neighbours continually taking a short cut over your garden to get to each others house. 

That was what prompted my original post. 

10 hours ago, AVB said:

That was what prompted my original post. 

Yep and it's a very good point. I think there's lots of little things that added together are very big things that will benefit the UK and its people going forwards. 

I still believe a clean break would have been better in the long run, short term chaos aside of course. 

The current arrangement is something of a nightmare for UK plc. Many loads just are not getting through the blockade. My sons firm has managed just one delivery to NI this year when ordinarily they would do two a week. Carriers will not ship in the absence of Border Control advice and Border control say ask the freight handlers. It's no wonder there are big gaps on the supermarket shelves. 

6 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Yep and it's a very good point. I think there's lots of little things that added together are very big things that will benefit the UK and its people going forwards. 

I still believe a clean break would have been better in the long run, short term chaos aside of course. 

And what shall we do with the border?

16 minutes ago, oowee said:

The current arrangement is something of a nightmare for UK plc. Many loads just are not getting through the blockade. My sons firm has managed just one delivery to NI this year when ordinarily they would do two a week. Carriers will not ship in the absence of Border Control advice and Border control say ask the freight handlers. It's no wonder there are big gaps on the supermarket shelves. 

A clean break and we could have told the EU to swivel. The EU have caused this to stir up trouble and have shown their true colours, I hope even you can see what an outrageous move triggering article 16 was, literally risking lives. I'm so glad we're out, I just wish we had nothing to do with them at all. You can't make deals with gangsters. 

Good question, they should not have rolled over to ROI and EU demand's in the first place. I don't see how a border between NI, and its biggest export market GB was ever seen as a good idea. 

A clean break and we could have told the EU to swivel. The EU have caused this to stir up trouble and have shown their true colours, I hope even you can see what an outrageous move triggering article 16 was, literally risking lives. I'm so glad we're out, I just wish we had nothing to do with them at all. You can't make deals with gangsters.

Could do, triggering article 16 just stirred things up more. 

Police last month warned that discontent in loyalist communities was 'growing' over the protocol, which is designed to make sure Northern Ireland follows EU customs rules but has caused delays at ports because of new declarations and checks.

5 minutes ago, ordnance said:

Good question, they should not have rolled over to ROI and EU demand's in the first place. I don't see how a border between NI, and its biggest export market GB was ever seen as a good idea. 

Could do, triggering article 16 just stirred things up more. 

It's a disgraceful situation, Northern Ireland has effectively been cut off from the rest of the UK with the EU gifted the power. How any UK government could agree to that is beyond me. Like I said, I'd have rather seen a hard brexit,than see NI treated differently from the rest of the uk

6 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

I hope Macron  is not following this thread. Stopping all the UK vehicles hauling  their fresh fruit and veg up from Spain through France may give him ideas that would love to put into force and show what a vulva the man is.

Would it be a disaster? We’d eat less out of season food and that what was still wanted could come by boat. 

Regarding the NI border I am not sure there was any solution that was agreeable to both sides. You had the threat of a hard border with Ireland and the associated threats of the return of Republican violence. We are left with a slightly softer border between NI and the mainland and the threat of Loyalist violence. I can’t even think of a solution. 

1 minute ago, AVB said:

Would it be a disaster? We’d eat less out of season food and that what was still wanted could come by boat. 

Regarding the NI border I am not sure there was any solution that was agreeable to both sides. You had the threat of a hard border with Ireland and the associated threats of the return of Republican violence. We are left with a slightly softer border between NI and the mainland and the threat of Loyalist violence. I can’t even think of a solution. 

We could have ignored both borders and leave it to the EU to enforce it, then see how the Irish reacted to that

On 02/02/2021 at 14:20, Walker570 said:

There will be winners and losers for sure and it will take a few years to level out but by then the South may also have done the sensible thing and divorced themselevs from the corrupt EU along with one or two other countries and we can all get back to dealing with each other without having to pay exhorbitant amounts into a fund for the 'Elite' in Brussels, all of who were total failures in their own countries. We are expected to pay them huge salaries and even bigger pensions for creating this chaos.

👍

Still amazes me how some still support a system of bureaucracy like the EU?

I just wish for some Politicians and administrators who didn't mistake mediocrity for gold standard?

Edited by old man

10 hours ago, AVB said:

The solution maybe, is that we should never have been led into that situation? John Major and his closer political union moving us from a trading situation to the thing we ended up with?

Got him a knighthood......wow?

3 hours ago, old man said:

The solution maybe, is that we should never have been led into that situation? John Major and his closer political union moving us from a trading situation to the thing we ended up with?

Got him a knighthood......wow?

...and he was a total failure too. They say that May is the worst we have had but Major must be very close behind.  Mind, we have very few good ones.