Instant criminalisation by Cleveland FEO

I have just renewed my certs.  Just reloacted cabinet and did a quick count of shells (12G Slug) and bullets (.22LR and 38/357).

They have lowered the amount I can hold, in every category, to below what I had before and in the case of slug and .22LR below what I hold, but OK for my previous ticket.  Slug was 150, now 100, but I have 125!  .22lr from 600 to 400and I have 500! 

Should they not ask first before they do this?  They have put me in a difficult spot to be sure. 

Yours,

RS

From experience, down here the reason to avoid is - I'd like x hundred because x-100 is the bulk box amount and the normal box contains the 100. This means I can stock up before running out and it's a little cheaper.

Response: "This is not our problem."

So, best to avoid the final phrase.

1 hour ago, RockySpears said:

I have just renewed my certs.  Just reloacted cabinet and did a quick count of shells (12G Slug) and bullets (.22LR and 38/357).

They have lowered the amount I can hold, in every category, to below what I had before and in the case of slug and .22LR below what I hold, but OK for my previous ticket.  Slug was 150, now 100, but I have 125!  .22lr from 600 to 400and I have 500! 

Should they not ask first before they do this?  They have put me in a difficult spot to be sure. 

Yours,

RS

How about emailing the Firearms Officer with a copy to your brand spanking new Police Commissioner

I was looking at my FAC & noticed that I only have 12-bore slug listed...!
Previous FAC also allowed 20-bore and 10-bore slug.
Sent them an e-mail, will be chasing it up when I am next on the phone with them.

Again, could have lead to an interesting scenario, not of MY doing

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

From experience, down here the reason to avoid is - I'd like x hundred because x-100 is the bulk box amount and the normal box contains the 100. This means I can stock up before running out and it's a little cheaper.

I don't think that's the reason in this case, it wasn't in mine.

I've found the amounts seem to randomly vary, IIRC my previous renewal put some amounts up by more than I asked and my recent renewal put them back down again.

If you need the amounts raised I'd just contact your licencing dept and ask.

1 hour ago, Windswept said:

I don't think that's the reason in this case, it wasn't in mine.

I've found the amounts seem to randomly vary, IIRC my previous renewal put some amounts up by more than I asked and my recent renewal put them back down again.

If you need the amounts raised I'd just contact your licencing dept and ask.

Yep, one can only go by experience. Only once have I had a discussion since I came home in '88 and used the excuse mentioned - actually 500/600 and had to agree to the 500 as my excuse didn't wash. Other than that one instance I've always been granted what I've applied for so I can't really comment.

2 hours ago, wymberley said:

Response: "This is not our problem."

So, best to avoid the final phrase.

Just the opposite with my firearms dept. They actually suggest that is what you do.

57 minutes ago, London Best said:

Just the opposite with my firearms dept. They actually suggest that is what you do.

Does anyone else ever get the impression that you're not going to win? I've swapped my rifles and shotguns around a bit which was reflected in my renewal a few months back. This time I just asked for the 600 and said nowt. 600 I got. Now, if I can source the ammo that I'm currently after it comes in boxes of 200. I can see a bit of plinking coming on when stocks are getting low.

Edited by wymberley

Lucky in staffs, no change apart from upping max calibre on one piece of land from 240 to 6.5 on my permission slip. 

Still hold max of 1100lr and plenty in other cals, 15 minute chat over the phone and that was it. 

But must agree dropping max to hold without notification is rather naughty. 

On 16/05/2021 at 18:27, chilly1981 said:

CLEVELAND police tend to be pretty good at sorting stuff out very quickly 

Used the online form yesterday morning to contact Cleveland FEO.  They called back 2 hours later and said I should have the old limits back on a new cert they would send out.

The problem seems to have been my misunderstanding of the renewal form.  It asks "How many do you hold", for each calibre.  I put in the rounded up numbers in my stock.  After submitting the form I got some more ammo as things were opening up, but still below my current limits.  What it actually means is "How many do you want to hold."  So the limits were lowered.  However they guy did read the question aloud over the phone and even he realised that it was ambiguous as to what was wanted.

So, my fault, their bad form, but all sorted in no time flat,  well done Cleveland Firearms dept.

RS

3 hours ago, RockySpears said:

Used the online form yesterday morning to contact Cleveland FEO.  They called back 2 hours later and said I should have the old limits back on a new cert they would send out.

The problem seems to have been my misunderstanding of the renewal form.  It asks "How many do you hold", for each calibre.  I put in the rounded up numbers in my stock.  After submitting the form I got some more ammo as things were opening up, but still below my current limits.  What it actually means is "How many do you want to hold."  So the limits were lowered.  However they guy did read the question aloud over the phone and even he realised that it was ambiguous as to what was wanted.

So, my fault, their bad form, but all sorted in no time flat,  well done Cleveland Firearms dept.

RS

Good news and an understanding Department. I was thinking it was some underhand Dept again making rules up as they go. Thanks for the update.