Boxing,

redial

Nearly time.

This is a fight I just didn't want to happen. I'm hoping AJ doesn't just flatten Usyk. I like the Ukranian's style far too much for that and it'd be a waste of an unblemished record. In an ideal world, I'd have a far stronger cruiserweight division and for Usyk to be able to stay there. But there's not the calibre of fighter there, so I guess he feels he needs to prove himself in the next weight up. 

But if he wins, we can all kiss Fury-Joshua good bye for a couple of years at least. Lose-lose for me, whoever wins!

AJ by knockout, or Usyk on points

If Usyk can take the punch power or more accurately avoid it, he wins.
A big if, AJ has to make the weight advantage pay without gassing. 
he’s a similar weight to last time out but around a stone heavier than against Ruiz the second time round. Good to see the conduct at the weigh in, classy!

22 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Not sure Joshua has the heart to get into a real battle. Fine when he is knocking smaller boxers out, but when he has to dig deep, the bucket comes up empty from the well.

Possibly. But maybe he's just a lousy champion. He needs something to prove, something tangible to win. It seems like he's really poor at self motivation. Against Klitschko, he still had everything to prove and came out and showed what he'd got, but whenever he's got nothing to prove, he struggles to show any drive.

He goes in clear favourite against Parker and wins, but wins badly. Then he gets beaten by a really poor fighter in Ruiz. Suddenly the motivation's there and he comes back and wins and wins well. Then comes Usyk, and AJ's favourite again, but looks devoid of drive and ambition. He's coming across as someone who relies on external motivation, not internal drive. 

The best fighters - Ali, Lewis, Hagler, SRL, Klitschko - were all fired from within. Joshua needs to learn that or he's never going to be anything other than better than most, but never the best. 

1 hour ago, chrisjpainter said:

But if he wins, we can all kiss Fury-Joshua good bye for a couple of years at least. Lose-lose for me, whoever wins!

AJ by knockout, or Usyk on points

From what I've read AJ got schooled, by a smaller opponent in only his 3rd heavyweight fight!!

And unfortunately it probably means the Fury fight will never happen,  so Fury doesn't get to shut him up.

13 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

The best fighters - Ali, Lewis, Hagler, SRL, Klitschko - were all fired from within. Joshua needs to learn that or he's never going to be anything other than better than most, but never the best. 

He's never going to be in their class, better and bigger than most but never a great.

19 minutes ago, Mice! said:

From what I've read AJ got schooled, by a smaller opponent in only his 3rd heavyweight fight!!

And unfortunately it probably means the Fury fight will never happen,  so Fury doesn't get to shut him up.

He's never going to be in their class, better and bigger than most but never a great.

No, he won't be. It's funny (bear with me, I'm not mad...I promise), but in theory and on paper I think AJ could have beaten Ali. Would he have done? No chance, he'd have been schooled, but not because of boxing ability or style. He just can't go deep enough. He can't do what Ali did to Foreman. There is none of the unshakable will to win, that belief that he can find a way. So a slow start festers in the head. He doesn't lose one round. He loses two, three or four rounds. Then the fight's gone and he's just a clueless rabbit waiting for the 12th to end. 

AJ has raw materials that could (again, in theory) beat almost any fighter in history, but he's so bad at using them at times. A fighter can have a blip (Lewis Vs Rahman springs to mind), but AJ's poor performances are starting to look predictable and thematic. 

9 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

AJ has raw materials that could (again, in theory) beat almost any fighter in history, but he's so bad at using them at times. A fighter can have a blip (Lewis Vs Rahman springs to mind), but AJ's poor performances are starting to look predictable and thematic. 

Anyone can have an off day, but a world champion should go out on their shield, not be beaten on points.

I wonder what the excuses will be,  and what Fury will say about it?

Tyson Fury will be thinking - if the fight ever goes ahead - that he will stop Joshua. All fighters can get knocked down, but the greats get up. 

I have little time for Dillian Whyte, but he called it right. Joshua is worried about his chin. In Joshua's camp, I would be worried about his chin, his lack of stamina, lack of movement at a lighter weight, motivation and bottle. 

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

I wonder what the excuses will be,  and what Fury will say about it?

Something along the lines of "robotic dosser" I would imagine. 

Joshua tried to box a far superior boxer and lost. He needs to use his size advantage and bully him, he was never going to outbox Usyk, I think he's well underrated and joshua has been over rated. 

11 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

No, he won't be. It's funny (bear with me, I'm not mad...I promise), but in theory and on paper I think AJ could have beaten Ali. Would he have done? No chance, he'd have been schooled, but not because of boxing ability or style. He just can't go deep enough. He can't do what Ali did to Foreman. There is none of the unshakable will to win, that belief that he can find a way. So a slow start festers in the head. He doesn't lose one round. He loses two, three or four rounds. Then the fight's gone and he's just a clueless rabbit waiting for the 12th to end. 

Aj would destroy Ali, as would practically any top ten fighters today. Its an unfair comparison and shouldn't be done but like all sports, boxing has moved on from that era. 

I don't think his loss had anything to do with digging deep, he did that by making the distance, he tried to box a superior boxer, rather than have a scrap and finish him early on.