I Don't Know Who Was The Most Gutted , Me Or My Dog.

marsh man

When I get the shoot dates they go on my calendar straight away and have top priority over everything and I mean everything , our last day was a smallish one and we only shot till late dinner and it was the day I got soaked from the monsoon rain fall we had .

Today's forecast was light rain at times which wasn't a day , I was up a little after six as I always like to take my dog out first and then have half an hour reading the paper with a nice cup of tea , everything went well and I was ready to leave mine at a little after 8 . 30 , I have now had my Honda CR-V for over four years and apart from failing to start when the battery was flat the motor had never let me down .

The distance from mine to the hall is only six miles and my dog was like a cat on hot bricks when he see me putting his lunch and my flask in the motor but once I let him out he soon settle down , anyhow I was about half way there when disaster happened , the reeves started to die down and nothing happened when I tried to accelerate , I managed to turn into a side road and after a couple of hundred yards it gave up the ghost , I know nothing about mecanics so I didn't even look under the bonnet , I then had to ring the keeper up to tell him the bad news that I had broke down and for the first time in years won't be able to make it .

After I had drunk some of my fresh coffee I had to work out what do I do now , ah I know , ring the R A C , what a performance , I rung the number and after listening to a lot of talk I had to press two , then a after more talk I had to press in my membership number , then my date of birth , then she said my post code , with never having sent a text in my life I couldn't work out how to put in NR , by now I have had enough and closed the call , I then rang my garage man and had to leave a message on voice mail , I then rang my home to tell my wife my problems although why I don't know as she don't drive , who next I thought , ah I know my brother in law , he only live about five miles away , I will ring him up , I rang his number when I was told on the phone my credit have ran out , now what ? , well the next move was to walk back the three miles or so to my house and sort it out from there.

Once home I them rang my garage man again and he said he would pick me and my car up after dinner , he was true to his word and picked me up to show him where it was and to empty my gear out , when he got to my motor he got in and it started straight away so he didn't have to use the winch on his trailer , straight away he said it was the fuel filter or possibly the fuel pump .

So after a terrible day I have now got to wait till Monday before I am likely to get it back , so back to the title , Who was the most gutted ? , me or my dog and the answer to that was both in equal measure.      MM 

MM I feel for you, I understand your frustration. With the breakdown services it is all well and good having automated process, however in my experience they do not always account for the less tech savvy of us. Press this, press that, enter this , enter that, at a worrying and frustrating time all one wants is to speak with someone. Had a similar situation twice in December.

Unfortunate as it may be that a shoooting day was lost, you got home safe and well and that is what matters.

Hope the vehicle is a simple fix for you.

atb

7diaw

That's a right tale of woe. What a lousy way to spend a weekend. Hopefully you get it back Monday

3 hours ago, samboy said:

Never broke down yet but have forgot my jacket, magazine and lamp on different occasions. Also lamp battery went flat after 10 mins

because i forgot to charge it. These things happen in life. 

Pah. Amateur. I forgot the gun once. That was embarrassing.

1 hour ago, WalkedUp said:

3 miles short 😢 Gutted. Surely someone could have come and grabbed you? Or march the 3 miles? 

If you had put out the message on PW someone would have happily towed you to the shoot!

But I respect the stoicism to not allow your problems spread onto other’s shoulders. 

Well said! 

1 hour ago, WalkedUp said:

3 miles short 😢 Gutted. Surely someone could have come and grabbed you? Or march the 3 miles? 

If you had put out the message on PW someone would have happily towed you to the shoot!

But I respect the stoicism to not allow your problems spread onto other’s shoulders. 

Morning Walked Up .... Without ever being in that predickerment before your mind is not really switched on to know what is the best move , my motor ended up on a narrow side road where tractors had to get past and I only had about 20 mins before we all moved to the first drive .

The estate is around three miles wide and we do a fair bit of travelling at times moving from one drive to the next , my young friend who pick up did ring me and offer to pick me up and run me home but as it was within walking distance I thanked him for his offer and wished him a good day .

If I had got there then things would have been different as I could have gone with someone or it might have been possible to borrow the maintenance truck for the day , but like you say , I could have walked the other three miles but coming up to 74 and had already gave my dog a good walk I would have been worn out before the day had even started , but  on the spur of the moment the only thing I was gutted about was letting the team down and not being able to do my bit :no:

Unfortunately you can't explain the whys and wherefores to the dog.

I sometimes wonder about the breakdown services. I eventually got though to an English speaking voice. I told it I was parked in a disabled bay outside the main entrance to The Royal Hallamshire hospital Sheffield, it still wanted the full address and postcode. Then it asked for the nearest intersecting road junction. I explained the hospital is a very large building, one that no-one could possibly miss and mine was the only blue range rover parked in a disabled bay outside the main entrance, but no it still wanted an intersecting road junction. When I became annoyed I was told without the information she could not despatch recovery and if I continued to get annoyed she would hang up. 3 hours later the recovery man arrived, despatched from................Mansfield.

21 minutes ago, bottletopbill said:

Had a Honda a few years ago kept cutting and low revs would start after a couple of second's. Changed different carb bits and sensors still continued changed oil and filters. The easiest job to do and it cured the fault .

Funny you should say that , my garage bloke picked me up just after dinner , when we got to my motor he reversed his car trailer to near the front of my motor , pulled the ramps out and then said he would try it , turned the ignition and it started straight away so he drove it up the ramp , when I told him there was some white smoke coming out of the exhaust when It came to a stop in the morning he said it would have been fuel starvation , so he recon it would be a fuel filter or fuel pump, hopefully it is something similar and I will get it back sooner than later .

2 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

Both of you but the dog has the added upset of not working and seeing you getting stressed. 

hope you get the Honda sorted !

but why dO They  break down on the way to shooting and not to get the wife new shoes - !?! 

Agriv8

I don't think there would have been any chance of driving to the shops to get the good lady a new pair of shoes when her bus pass is sitting in her bag doing nothing , not only that she have got two pairs of shoes that are still in fair condition with only minor holes in, they are perfectly good as long as it stay dry , failing that she can always borrow my spare wellies . 

P S     My car should be back in my driveway tomorrow ( Hopefully ) after having new filters fitted .:good: