Self Defence

myuserid

I will give you an example of this so called law.

One of my mates was burgled during the night, he went downstairs to confront the burglar, after a slight scuffle my mate managed to do a boxing style uppercut :good: which fractured several of the burglars teeth and he bit the tip of his tongue off :)

The burglar is now taking my mate to court for GBH meanwhile he has received no punishment for breaking & entering!

There has been several similar cases including the farmer who shot a burglar in the back (serves him right for been there). In the US you are allowed to shoot in self defense you can hit someone over the head with a baseball bat and you are haled as a hero, why cant we have a similar law??

As far as I'm concerned if you do seriously injure or kill someone who is intent in burgling/violence then you are doing the country a favor by removing these menaces of society :)

Was listening to this debate on the radio. It seems they are proposing to allow us 'reasonable' force to defend ourselves in our own homes. The difference is that currently we only allowed use proportionate & reasonable force. So by dropping proportionate part it really makes **** all difference.

Don't get excited, even if the changes are made a burglar still has more rights than you when they are ransacking your house.

Reasonable force seems to the the term used. No doubt that will be decided in the courts.

FM :)

I think that a non fatal 12g load to the knee is more than fair! If the guy is threatening to hurt you, aim 3 feet higher. I feel that once someone breaks the law, they shouldn't expect it to look after them.

How about-if you don't want to get hurt, stop pinching peoples stuff and get a job. Sounds reasonable to me :good:

If I was faced with getting hurt, I'd make a mess of someone. I matter more than the law does!

you need to make sure they are upstairs before you can hit them,if not hit them and then drag em up there - if you know what i mean :)

Never mind where they are as long as they are not "found" later on your property, Roadkill comes to mind :)

Wishfull thinking, I hope they eventually pass an act that allows you to protect your family and property using any means at your disposal.

The best deterrant at the moment still appears to be a Dobie/Rotti or better still a pair.

:good:

I will give you an example of this so called law.

One of my mates was burgled during the night, he went downstairs to confront the burglar, after a slight scuffle my mate managed to do a boxing style uppercut :good: which fractured several of the burglars teeth and he bit the tip of his tongue off :)

The burglar is now taking my mate to court for GBH meanwhile he has received no punishment for breaking & entering!

There has been several similar cases including the farmer who shot a burglar in the back (serves him right for been there). In the US you are allowed to shoot in self defense you can hit someone over the head with a baseball bat and you are haled as a hero, why cant we have a similar law??

As far as I'm concerned if you do seriously injure or kill someone who is intent in burgling/violence then you are doing the country a favor by removing these menaces of society :)

IMO your mate will get off the charge. The farmer is not an example to use as he had an illegal firearm which was enough on its own to be sent down, he then shot the guys running away.

At the moment as the law stands you can use reasonable force you just have to be able to proove it wasn't pre-meditated. There have been numerous cases where people have stabbed burglars when threatened and as they were in the kitchen and used a knife that was in the kitchen they were fine. Sleeping with your loaded 12 bore by the bed would be judged to be wrong to use especially if you weren't being threatened and shot the guy once he wasn't a threat any more. The law is pretty obscure as a lot of our laws are but generally speaking as long as you don't go over the top you will be fine.

I think they expect us to act in the British way, offer the offender a nice cup of tea, perhaps even offer him a bed for the night as it's probably cold out, and give him a lift with his swag (if he injures himself carrying your goods he could sue), seems that even though not invited onto your property you are still responsible for his health and safety, make sure he has no allergy to milk, nuts, lead, turkish walnut..etc..etc

A policeman once told me:

'Killing a burglar is OK by me; but if I find the body, I will have to arrest you. Make sure I don't'

Hey FC, dont suppose you know any reliable mini digger firms do you?

:lol:

Nicely said.

Back in school, I used to be crafty and naughty, I told my friends, 'you can do anything you like as long as you dont get caught'.