Wax chaps, I’m doing it wrong.

Wb123

I bought some Barbour wax chaps as I was feeling wealthier than usual and couldn’t find my cheap as chips ebay ones. 

Every time I wear them within ten steps they are pulling downwards on the front such that I can’t walk properly. I can get a temporary fix by safety pinning the front of the chaps to the front of my breeks but the pins seem to bend and fail within a couple of hours beating. 

I have the belt loop at my back and as high as possible. Usually over moleskin breeks but cotton trousers are no better. 

What am I doing wrong? Surely they must actually function in some way or else they would have changed the design at some point in the last century. 

2 minutes ago, matone said:

Surely the belt straps go either side of your waist? Or are these some new design?

My cheap ones that worked well did that. On these the belt straps are sewn together such that either they must go at the back or front, this is the best photo a quick google finds. 

https://www.redrae.co.uk/barbour-classic-sylkoil-stud-on-short-leggings-olive-MOT0002OL91.htm

Just now, WalkedUp said:

I have no issue with mine, worn with belt loops on my hip bones. Those without evidence of hip bones just make a next best approximation 🤣

My cheap ones are like that and work well, but unless I take a knife to these ones to put the straps at the hips would be impossible. 

4 minutes ago, Wb123 said:

My cheap ones that worked well did that. On these the belt straps are sewn together such that either they must go at the back or front, this is the best photo a quick google finds. 

https://www.redrae.co.uk/barbour-classic-sylkoil-stud-on-short-leggings-olive-MOT0002OL91.htm

You mean the two legs are sewn together at the belt loops? 

2 minutes ago, ditchman said:

then the buttons need changing position

The buttons are sewn together so they can either be at the crack or the sack. If at the latter the studs will be pushing through any vegetation, if at the back they should be sheltered. 

2 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Mine are the short Barbour ones. Very old. I have Seeland ones too. Which are pretty useless but lightweight.

Are your straps separate or sewn together? 

1 minute ago, farmer7 said:

You mean the two legs are sewn together at the belt loops? 

Absolutely. 

1 minute ago, Wb123 said:

The buttons are sewn together so they can either be at the crack or the sack. If at the latter the studs will be pushing through any vegetation, if at the back they should be sheltered. 

Are your straps separate or sewn together? 

Absolutely. 

sounds very strange.....sure you havnt got them from a sex shop

1 minute ago, ditchman said:

sounds very strange.....sure you havnt got them from a sex shop

Ordered direct from Barbour, and still appears on their website. 

I could cut them apart, but they are so well sewn together it looks deliberate rather than a manufacturing cock up. 

2 minutes ago, Wb123 said:

Ordered direct from Barbour, and still appears on their website. 

I could cut them apart, but they are so well sewn together it looks deliberate rather than a manufacturing cock up. 

Sounds and looks like a manufacturing error to me !

Edited by matone

Just now, wymberley said:

It's years since I wore them but I do remember that if you stand them vertically the tops taper up from the crutch to the hip which would be right from the photo. Re the  straps sown together, could this be packing stitching - like pocket stitches?

Serious enough stitching, hopefully a photo will appear with this post. 

091A6E7C-0AA0-415B-B746-4E64132EE4E5.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Wb123 said:

Serious enough stitching, hopefully a photo will appear with this post. 

091A6E7C-0AA0-415B-B746-4E64132EE4E5.jpeg

Obviously , you can't wear them as they are so if mine I'd be sorely tempted to go for it and carefully cut those stitches - you can always wax some thread and re-do them if necessary - and try them on as has already been suggested. Could give Barbour a bell on Monday if you don't want to risk it, but I'm with Matone and I'd go for it. If it looks right it flies fits right.

I have used Barbour stud on leggings of the short variety for over 50 years and they have ALWAYS been 2 seperate leggings. I would be cutting the stitching to seperate them. I also have the same thing in Gore-Tex, made by Musto for less arduous days.  The belt attachment was designed to be worn at the side, or that is where I have always worn mine. 

is this a bloody wind up..............Barbour leggings bury me in a "Y" shaped coffin ?

i rekon they are for a pantomine horse....front set...........come on....do the manly thing and seperate them and all will come clear..............

this post is not far off being  "mums - net" classic