Opening up of chokes.

steveshoots

15 minutes ago, Scully said:

I quite agree it’s a great method, but if it’s for live quarry, then that chosen cartridge may well have to be steel; the current lead one may not exist in a couple of years. 
Teague multi choking may be the way to go? 🤷‍♂️

Or just use another more appropriately choked gun.

12 hours ago, ditchman said:

about 20 years ago i had a sidexside which i wanted the chokes changed on............i took it to Richard Gallyon at Hingham......he charged me £120/barrel.....before he did it he asked me what i was looking for and what cartridges i would be using........they then cut some metal out ...and tested it.....did it again....tested it did it again tested it until it acheived excactly what i wanted............20 years ago that was expensive....but i got excactly what i asked for

its very hit and miss going the cheap way....be careful

This 👆 

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know where you are, but Leech and sons in Boreham, Essex, opened up the barrel of my browning auto 5 from extra full to half for about £40/£50 (can't remember) and made a perfect job, absolutely lovely. Also serviced my friend's 682 ready for sale, and it was like a Swiss watch afterwards. 

On 10/08/2022 at 06:55, Johnny English said:

If you want adjustability and can afford it get teague to put their thin wall multi chokes in, it is a lot dearer than taking out fixed chokes though but we'll worth the money. Otherwise think about taking it to 1/2 & 3/4 first and shooting it for a bit, then maybe taking it out again if it's still too tight.

Just been quoted for Teagues in an MK38 Trap. £750 for 3 flush chokes and £950 for extended. Apparently Miroku MK38's are the worst to do and therefore cost a lot more. (Could be something to do with backboring  ? )

20 hours ago, Westley said:

Just been quoted for Teagues in an MK38 Trap. £750 for 3 flush chokes and £950 for extended. Apparently Miroku MK38's are the worst to do and therefore cost a lot more. (Could be something to do with backboring  ? )

I heard a few years ago miroku barrels were bad to work on because of the chrome lining. Something about tools jamming in the barrels easily.

21 hours ago, Westley said:

I’m assuming that includes re-proofing? If so you may as well have it proofed for HP steel while you’re at it. 
My nephew was quoted 500 just to have his Crown HP steel proofed, without any work done to the barrels at all. 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

I’m assuming that includes re-proofing? If so you may as well have it proofed for HP steel while you’re at it. 
My nephew was quoted 500 just to have his Crown HP steel proofed, without any work done to the barrels at all. 

Yes, the price included postage both ways, the work, including 3 chokes and the reproofing. The guy that I was with when he was given this quote, bought a Beretta multi choked gun.

Edited by Westley