Quite scary

30-6

Something has hit home to me, and newbies please note, it's not big or clever to place yourself in loud situations without protection.

A lot of loud discos and nightclubs, ignorance of hearing protection in workplace and early shooting days, and for decades I have suffered tinnitus and hearing loss to both ears. I do have NHS hearing aids, but stopped using as the tube used to get a lot of condensation in it and my ear was very sweaty.

I always hold the phone to my left ear, as it doesn't sound correct in my right ear. So I do have some hearing in both ears.

When I was out recently I was using rubber push in type ear plugs ( the ones on a cord with 3 different size diameters which plug your ear canal ). Put the caller out about 75 yds, switched it on and pulled out the ear plug from my left ear to check volume and heard nothing. Thinking batteries had gone went to change them, tried again exactly the same. Pulled the ear plug from my right ear and I could hear it.

So although I know I can hear something's in both ears, I cannot hear my caller( or at least the call I was using at the time), in my left ear.

So is this down to the frequency of that particular call ?

The hearing in my left ear was reduced significantly due to having an infection as a child and operated on. The right side was always fine so i quickly learnt to twist my head to hear a conversation. Then in October 2019 i had suffered multiple strokes which reduced it even more-including my good side.

I've always taken care of my hearing especially around gun shot, but im now having to consider wearing a hearing aid.

As most on here know by now I am a touch over 80yrs and for the last 10 yrs my hearing has started to deteriate and I believe mainly through lack of knowledge back in the 50s and 60s about hearing protection. I am as good as totally deaf in my left ear and about 50% in my right.  I manage but it gets a bit repetative...Pardon .. What did you say etc.  I wear in ear electonics when shooting these days and have used them occasionally if I need to hear things but in a mix of people it just becaomes a 'blather' of sound.

Drives my wife mad because she inevitably has to ask the same question a dozen times.  

Look after them luggs ...they are valuable.

Yes, deafness is not nice. I lost 50% in my left ear and 75% in my right after a couple of minor strokes. Going out for a meal is a nightmare, the background noise is horrific and conversation impossible.  I too use in the ear electric plugs and Custom fit Guards were able to fit a 'ghetto blaster' speaker in each ear. They are the best electronics that I have used, and I have used a few.

I had used NHS hearing aids up until a few months ago when I bit the bullet and invested in a pair of hearing aids from a private recommended company and I must say, it’s changed my life. As said above, NHS aids (well the ones I had) just made background noise even noisier. These ones have a setting that cuts out all background noise and concentrates within a small arc to whoever you are speaking with. I can now hear individual conversations in crowded situations and can once again join in and not feel completely out of it. Not cheap, but I wish that I had done it years ago. There is even a setting that can override tinnitus. I can adjust all settings (left or right ear from my phone. Phone calls can be heard via the hearing aids if required. Things have come a long way from ear trumpets😂.

One advantage is that I can completely silence all sound to my left ear. Most useful when driving and I’ve got the wife in the car👍.

OB

12 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

I had used NHS hearing aids up until a few months ago when I bit the bullet and invested in a pair of hearing aids from a private recommended company and I must say, it’s changed my life. As said above, NHS aids (well the ones I had) just made background noise even noisier. These ones have a setting that cuts out all background noise and concentrates within a small arc to whoever you are speaking with. I can now hear individual conversations in crowded situations and can once again join in and not feel completely out of it. Not cheap, but I wish that I had done it years ago. There is even a setting that can override tinnitus. I can adjust all settings (left or right ear from my phone. Phone calls can be heard via the hearing aids if required. Things have come a long way from ear trumpets😂.

One advantage is that I can completely silence all sound to my left ear. Most useful when driving and I’ve got the wife in the car👍.

OB

Old Boggy, are you willing to share supplier details and cost please? If not publicly then possibly a PM please. My circumstances reflect those where you once were, Thanks.

16 hours ago, 30-6 said:

lot of loud discos and nightclubs, ignorance of hearing protection in workplace and early shooting days

I'm probably younger than you lads and haven't done much proper shooting,  my hearing loss is down to heavy machinery and the whine of high speed machinery. 

I'd definitely get your ears checked again, sounds like Old Boggy has got something good, obviously expensive but has to be worth it.

I have to concentrate on conversation,  especially if it's crowded, but I wear hearing protection all the time in work if there's the slightest loud noise, drilling squealing anything and the plugs go in or ear muffs, because of this I've found my hearing hasn't gotten worse, but I have to wear plugs now when swimming properly as otherwise I get water in my ears.

3 hours ago, Bobba said:

Old Boggy, are you willing to share supplier details and cost please? If not publicly then possibly a PM please. My circumstances reflect those where you once were, Thanks.

PM sent