Blackberry Picking

SuperGoose75

Well after the heatwave finished and we had a wet day yesterday, This morning was back to blue skies and a nice fresh breeze. I loaded the 3 bikes into the van and drove the 5 miles to the start of our cycle route. 10 Kilometres of the most glorious coastal countryside your likely to find anywhere.

The hedges were abloom with honeysuckle,meadowsweet and bindweed flowers, the chestnut trees were loaded chestnuts and the fresh breeze of the sea was refreshing as we enjoyed an idyllic day on the bikes free wheeling down the brays and quite country roads. There was a lot of pigeon activity and I could hear some shooting. Shooting in warm weather is not my thing.

I was surprised to see that some of the brambles bushes were loaded with big juicy ripe blackberries. We stopped and picked a few and vowed to return in the evening with a bowl to pick more. This we did and after washing them, we had them simply with some sprinkled granulated sugar. We will be back for more.

Mr Seamus Heaney says it best

Edited by SuperGoose75

16 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, nice post, about another week on the farm and I shall be picking a few , eating a few, 🤔😁

Enjoy😋

I have a bag of ''Jam sugar'' in the press that's been sitting for a few years unopened. I may attempt to make some jam. One of my Aunt's ''now passed was a great jam maker. Gooseberries,Rhubarb,blackberries,black currants ect..!  I may even be tempted to go out and try and bag a fat September, Stubbling Mallard and make a blackberry jus to go with it. Its the tradition of picking that I like passing onto the kid's. We will be out for Conkers when the time comes too!

7 hours ago, SuperGoose75 said:

Enjoy😋

I have a bag of ''Jam sugar'' in the press that's been sitting for a few years unopened. I may attempt to make some jam. One of my Aunt's ''now passed was a great jam maker. Gooseberries,Rhubarb,blackberries,black currants ect..!  I may even be tempted to go out and try and bag a fat September, Stubbling Mallard and make a blackberry jus to go with it. Its the tradition of picking that I like passing onto the kid's. We will be out for Conkers when the time comes too!

My mother used to make a huge batch of blackberry and apple jam each autumn.

It was the only jam that I knew as a child, we never ate "shop" jam, and the batch would last until the next year.

21 minutes ago, mellors said:

I been picking everytime I've been over the farms the last two weeks. Another good year for them all in the freezer ready for the apples coming for jam making. 

IMG_20220813_111453506.jpg

They look lovely, does seem a good year for blackberries but on my walk about I did notice just how ripe the sloe berries were but hardly any flesh on them and very little juice when squashed, could be the long dry spell we have had.