What news on the Pinks?

holloway

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 26/09/2022 at 20:22, Manish said:

Why its called a wild goose chase. Good know they are coming 

Wild goose chase was first written down by William Shakespeare, in the play Romeo and Juliet in 1595 The term wild goose chase was first used to mean a type of horse race. In a wild goose chase horse race, the lead rider galloped across the open countryside in an erratic pattern. Subsequent riders were to follow at different intervals and had to follow the exact pattern of the lead rider. The idea is of geese flying in formation, following one leader. The exact rules of a wild goose chase are unclear, but it seems reasonable to assume the object is to overtake the leader.

10 hours ago, sky gipsy said:

Wild goose chase was first written down by William Shakespeare, in the play Romeo and Juliet in 1595 The term wild goose chase was first used to mean a type of horse race. In a wild goose chase horse race, the lead rider galloped across the open countryside in an erratic pattern. Subsequent riders were to follow at different intervals and had to follow the exact pattern of the lead rider. The idea is of geese flying in formation, following one leader. The exact rules of a wild goose chase are unclear, but it seems reasonable to assume the object is to overtake the leader.

THANKS for the detailed facts of a Wild Goose Chase .

I was always led to believe a A Wild Goose Chase was a pointless exercise in trying to find what you went out to look for, as it was unlikely to be wherever you intended to look , a bit like looking for a mountain in Norfolk :lol: 

• 4 weeks later...

No shortage of pinks up here (Northern Highlands),i've had 37 (+ 1 canada) hanging in my shed over the past fortnight,i now paying £23 for a box of 3" mags so there won't be many more for me,it's crop protection but it's unpaid,coupled with fuel prices it's getting too costly.

• 3 months later...

So nearing the end of another season what is the consensus on goose numbers in different areas ,any signs of a reduction due to flu etc.my two trips (Solway and Tay) I would say definitely down in numbers but then as we all know I could just have been there on the wrong weeks things can change overnight .

• 2 months later...

Had a large skein of about 100 pinks over my place this morning (about 12 miles south of Skegness on the Lincs. coast) heading north west. Are they usually around this long before heading off? I've seen hooper swans around as late as late April, but can't recall seeing the geese later than mid March.

Steve